Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Just wanted to pop in and write some feedback about the race myself. It's currently sucking all the fun out of my slaanesh campaign. It wasn't that bad in my first nurgle campaign but this time it's insane. 3 factions got a soul on every single roar while I missed one. And it's the factions that are furthest away from my faction. Goldtooth Kislev and Cathay. So I can't just easily move my other armies there to stop them. Because only Legendary Lords can traverse rifts I have to block 3 armies with different timings while also finishing my last soul with a single army. Sounds interesting but its not. I will now camp the forge non stop with nkari while slowly eliminating the competition. Had to abandon the last realm two times already to protect the forge. Next time I miss a soul on a roar I will just quit right there. It's also fun to watch what the AI is actually doing in the realms. Tzeench: go the right way immediatly. Khorne: get ignored by random armies and only take battles they engage. I like the idea of invading the realm of chaos but why is it a race? Doesn't really make sense.

On top the realms aren't that replayable. The gimmicks got old very fast. I would have prefered bigger realms with actual conquering.

Overall the game is awesome and I look forward to the things to come, but there are some bugs that really need fixing (like lords losing their commands, I can't take my eyes off nkari for more than 10 seconds or he will have stopped duelling the enemy lord having his back turned to him and take a beating).
    Lorewise it doesn't even make much sense to make it a race. It's explicitly said the Advisor's tome is what allows whatever LL he picks to cross into the Realm of Chaos. Kairos Fateweaver himself, basically the most magically knowledgeable being in the setting aside from his boss, is at his wit's end trying to find an alternative... but in-game everyone from Kislev to the Ogres knows about Ursun and somehow manages to cross no problem. Whereas in the Vortex everyone could see the comet and all 4 participating races are noted as magically adept.

There were better ways to put ramping pressure on the player than to make it a race that can feel simply unfair if the RNG screws you and leaves you with little margin for error in a game that's already harder than the second one. Such as diplomatic maluses with the factions of whichever God you nick a soul from; I don't see Ku'gath appreciating you trashing grandpa's realm, for example.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Myeah, the campaign is meh, even compared to The Vortex. I'll be waiting on Mortal Empires tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Myeah, the campaign is meh, even compared to The Vortex. I'll be waiting on Mortal Empires tbh
    IMO it is better than the Vortex campaign but gets repetitive faster. The gimmicks work fine on the first campaign but get tedious pretty fast in followup campaigns.

IMO it is better than the Vortex campaign but gets repetitive faster. The gimmicks work fine on the first campaign but get tedious pretty fast in followup campaigns.
    I definitely had the opposite experience, I much prefer Vortex, because with Vortex the different races have different game mechanisms and objectives they're working towards, so I did multiple campaigns with different races and had a different experience with each one. I got very annoyed with the AI bum-rushing the chaos realms, getting all 4 souls, then just sitting on them for 20-30 turns and then randomly entering the Forge and instantly winning. Every time the notification about "They've got the four souls" came up, I'd rush my LL there to try and stop them, then had to pull out after 5-10 turns because I needed to go get the souls too, then the campaign would end many turns later without much fanfare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    I definitely had the opposite experience, I much prefer Vortex, because with Vortex the different races have different game mechanisms and objectives they're working towards, so I did multiple campaigns with different races and had a different experience with each one. I got very annoyed with the AI bum-rushing the chaos realms, getting all 4 souls, then just sitting on them for 20-30 turns and then randomly entering the Forge and instantly winning. Every time the notification about "They've got the four souls" came up, I'd rush my LL there to try and stop them, then had to pull out after 5-10 turns because I needed to go get the souls too, then the campaign would end many turns later without much fanfare.
    Are you comparing the DLC lords of WH2 with the starter lords of WH3? Because initially all Vortex campaigns were the same too. Sure they changed the icon so that every race collected a different McGuffin, but in general they were identical.

I am currently in the same position in my Slaanesh run. I have Nkari constantly babysit the forge while I move the armies I can spare across the globe to kill the factions with 4 souls. It can work with one competitor but if it's two or more there is not enough time to complete a realm yourself. I think a lot of this could be made less frustrating if normal armies would be allowed to traverse the rifts. Maybe not go to the realm of chaos, but simply jump the map so you can actually intercept enemies without having to use your LL.

EDIT: Khornes bloodhosts are a little op, by the time ursun first roared I already killed nkari and kurgath. Guess I will ignore the realms this time :-)
    Last edited by Faldric; 2022-02-26 at 06:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Mortal Empires and optimizations.

Coming from 3K and Troy is mind boggling.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Are you comparing the DLC lords of WH2 with the starter lords of WH3? Because initially all Vortex campaigns were the same too. Sure they changed the icon so that every race collected a different McGuffin, but in general they were identical.

I am currently in the same position in my Slaanesh run. I have Nkari constantly babysit the forge while I move the armies I can spare across the globe to kill the factions with 4 souls. It can work with one competitor but if it's two or more there is not enough time to complete a realm yourself. I think a lot of this could be made less frustrating if normal armies would be allowed to traverse the rifts. Maybe not go to the realm of chaos, but simply jump the map so you can actually intercept enemies without having to use your LL.

EDIT: Khornes bloodhosts are a little op, by the time ursun first roared I already killed nkari and kurgath. Guess I will ignore the realms this time :-)
    Khorne has strong campaign mechanics, but it's Skarbrand's ability to reinforce in enemy territory and move again after sacking/razing that really turns up the OP factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Khorne has strong campaign mechanics, but it's Skarbrand's ability to reinforce in enemy territory and move again after sacking/razing that really turns up the OP factor.
    Killed all the other race factions before the fourth roar. Was fun for a time but at the end it was mostly autoresolving with 2-3 bloodhosts vs a settlement and keeping the chain going. Saved quite a lot of time because cult buildings where poping up in really good places saving skarbrand at least 20-30 turns of travel.

Killed all the other race factions before the fourth roar. Was fun for a time but at the end it was mostly autoresolving with 2-3 bloodhosts vs a settlement and keeping the chain going. Saved quite a lot of time because cult buildings where poping up in really good places saving skarbrand at least 20-30 turns of travel.
    Now you just need 50 friggin provinces to actually win lol.

As for me, I completed my Cathay VH/VH campaign. Final battle is quite a doozy and suitably epic, but its design really isn't conductive to artillery at all due to tons of LoS blockers and Daemons spawning quite literally right on top of you. Even my crossbows had a hard time firing half the battle. In fact that's an issue for every survival battle except maybe Tzeentch which is still super annoying because, well, you're fighting Tzeentch. Luckily I planned ahead and my of my forces were Sentinels and Dragon Guard who chew nails and spit napalm thanks to Zhao Ming's buff.

Still, the Realm of Chaos campaign overall is pretty grueling. By design perhaps but I really can't say I'm looking forward to doing it again with every faction. I'll finish my Daemon Prince campaign, maybe a Kislev one, and by that time either Chaos Dorf or Immortal Empires will have dropped.

Now you just need 50 friggin provinces to actually win lol.

As for me, I completed my Cathay VH/VH campaign. Final battle is quite a doozy and suitably epic, but its design really isn't conductive to artillery at all due to tons of LoS blockers and Daemons spawning quite literally right on top of you. Even my crossbows had a hard time firing half the battle. In fact that's an issue for every survival battle except maybe Tzeentch which is still super annoying because, well, you're fighting Tzeentch. Luckily I planned ahead and my of my forces were Sentinels and Dragon Guard who chew nails and spit napalm thanks to Zhao Ming's buff.

Still, the Realm of Chaos campaign overall is pretty grueling. By design perhaps but I really can't say I'm looking forward to doing it again with every faction. I'll finish my Daemon Prince campaign, maybe a Kislev one, and by that time either Chaos Dorf or Immortal Empires will have dropped.
    Did grind out the provinces and it was pretty annoying with the rifts. Because you need to get your settlements to at least lvl 3, have walls and have the attrition building as khorne if you want to be able to autoresolve most rift armies. And you really want that because after a certain size you will fight 10+ settlement defenses in a single turn. It's not really possible to field enough agents to keep rifts from spawning.

Which kinda shows another problem with the current realm mechanik. You are punished for conquest. I am pretty sure the most ideal way to win each campaign is to camp on 3-4 provinces (enough to field 2 agents for rifts, one legendary lord doomstack, and a second defense army) for roars. That the important stuff is reserved for LL only severly diminishes the value of multiple armies. And without multiple armies you don't need the land to support them. Guess the solution was supposed to be the domination victory. But that doesn't work because you will typically lose to the realm race before finishing.
    Last edited by Faldric; 2022-02-28 at 01:11 PM.

Apparently you can research vanguard deployment for all units in khornes armies, now that is pretty damn op. Probably known already but i had missed that you could do that.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2022-02-28 at 05:55 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Apparently you can research vanguard deployment for all units in khornes armies, now that is pretty damn op. Probably known already but i had missed that you could do that.
    Yeah it's the one tech thats supposed to give Vanguard to chaos hounds who already got it. Went from tech that literally does nothing to downright broken. Don't think either was intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    Mortal Empires and optimizations.
    This. I have no doubt that WH3 is a great game, and although I can live without Mortal Empires (for some time), I'll wait for some optimization patches / other various fixes first before buying it.

Oh and most importantly, blood and gore. I'm a massive Warhammer Fantasy fan and I spent countless hours in the first two games, but I just refuse to play without blood.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Daemon Prince has something similar, except it's a disease you can equip on any army after getting enough Nurgle Glory, which takes maybe 20 turns to grab. And yes, with combined Slaanesh and Khorne armies it's very powerful. Those Kislev and Tzeentch stacks that I would fear as Cathay don't know what hit them.

In general while Cathay has IMO the best campaign mechanics, Khorne has the most fun roster. There's nothing quite like smashing Bloodthirsters, Skullcrushers and Blood Thrones into a frontline and watching everything melt. Even the lower-tier Warriors and Bloodletters remain powerful all game long thanks to their raw stats.

Daemon Prince has something similar, except it's a disease you can equip on any army after getting enough Nurgle Glory, which takes maybe 20 turns to grab. And yes, with combined Slaanesh and Khorne armies it's very powerful. Those Kislev and Tzeentch stacks that I would fear as Cathay don't know what hit them.

In general while Cathay has IMO the best campaign mechanics, Khorne has the most fun roster. There's nothing quite like smashing Bloodthirsters, Skullcrushers and Blood Thrones into a frontline and watching everything melt. Even the lower-tier Warriors and Bloodletters remain powerful all game long thanks to their raw stats.
    Will have to start a skarbrand campaigns next have not tried them yet.

The Kurgan Warband is a really strange implementation: They keep respawning even if cathay has fallen. No matter how often you kill them. They carry over negative opinion modifiers. If you ever get into war with them, you will never get rid of them.

Overall I am done with the game for now. I played the game a for about 50 hours since it's release and I was well entertained especially in my first run. But overall the Realm of Chaos campaign is just too rigid and repetitive. I don't really want to do a campaign of it anymore.
    Last edited by Faldric; 2022-03-01 at 09:27 PM.

The Kurgan Warband is a really strange implementation: They keep respawning even if cathay has fallen. No matter how often you kill them. They carry over negative opinion modifiers. If you ever get into war with them, you will never get rid of them.

Overall I am done with the game for now. I played the game a for about 50 hours since it's release and I was well entertained especially in my first run. But overall the Realm of Chaos campaign is just too rigid and repetitive. I don't really want to do a campaign of it anymore.
    Yeah mostly waiting for the mortal empires part to really get started. Hope they keep making all the old races as good as the new though.

Apparantly datamining shows that the WH3 codebase was forked from WH2 about 2 years ago. At least it builds on the foundation of the game from two years ago. And because DLC and main game teams are separate, it seems the game didn't get some patches that rolled out along with the DLC. E.g. it is missing the mass patch WH2 got, probably the reason why mass feels so weird in WH3. The non-playable factions are unpatched too, having their old stats and giving the old traits when defeated.

I mean Norsca already was an indication, but something in their dev pipeline is seriously borked.

I imagine that would also mean that Mortal Empires will take a long time to arrive aswell. Since they first need to merge WH2 and 3 with a 2 year different codebase?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I imagine that would also mean that Mortal Empires will take a long time to arrive aswell. Since they first need to merge WH2 and 3 with a 2 year different codebase?
    Hard to say. There are many indications like the already implemented map, that we are actually closer to mortal empires, than we were with WH2 at the same time. Maybe they froze the release version a long time ago. I guess CA knows that people care most for the big sandbox map. We don't know how far along their dev branches are. My guess is the big fixes will come with mortal empires as that one is probably the main dev branch. What was released was probably the last stable build with every feature they could bundle together into a semi consistent package to ship. I don't think they got everything in there they were working on.