Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Furell View Post
    Everything slowly copied almost anything from one another after someone else came up with an innovative idea in almost any video game. Here you see a mod from some guys who later go work at different developers to go with their version of the game. It became a whole genre. It's a game built in the game from some other developer, which happens to also likes to use the formula years later which everyone else does. Would they now sue Blizzard, the developer which let them built it in the first place? I most likely think not.
    This! So much this! And as Howard Aiken said: "Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will have to ram it down their throats."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Koenigstiger View Post
    Don't wanna hate but come on just saw the new gameplay trailer and it looks so much like TF2. If Blizzard sues Chinese companies that basically copied the concept of Hearthstone than Valve should sue Blizzard for Overwatch. It's embarrassing for Blizzard how they just copy paste so much stuff.
    Why?
    That company literally copied everything in HS, it was intellectual theft.
    By your logic, anyone who made the most popular game of any genre should sue anyone making a game in the same genre. Have you seen all the generic FPS games out there that look the same? Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    If Valve sues Blizzard for Overwatch I would like to see Blizzard sue Valve for DOTA 2, which has a way closer resemblance to WarCraft 3 than Overwatch has to Team Fortress 2.
    Blizzard was in a legal dispute about the ownership of Dota 2, but it was settled.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Nope, but they are taking certain map modes and taking inspiration of the general concept of tieing personalities to playable characters in shooters.

Take note i find this sort of thing to be rather normal in gaming or any other media platform everyone takes from everyone, Blizzard is however very much know for taking concepts and making them more accessible and therefor perceived more succesfull.

I don't think this will harm TF2 in anyway or even drag me away from that game, Overwatch has similarities however the concept of RPG elements in terms of skills is something different and might work great or totally not at all. Depends how far the decide to take away the twitch "skills".
    I dont even know why people are defending TF2. It's not a good game anymore and it's just a cash cow for Valve to milk, like the hillarious latest "update".

10+ Year Old Account
    Id software should sue everyone who ever made a Wolfinstein / doom clone, because that's what all fps are.

Quote Originally Posted by Visceroid View Post
    You can patent them tho
    Software/game design patent is a waste of time. People in the industry just don't care enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Koenigstiger View Post
    Don't wanna hate but come on just saw the new gameplay trailer and it looks so much like TF2. If Blizzard sues Chinese companies that basically copied the concept of Hearthstone than Valve should sue Blizzard for Overwatch. It's embarrassing for Blizzard how they just copy paste so much stuff.

Erm, open Dota 2 and look at 90% of the heroes.

They even kept the names of most of them (Leoric anyone?).

Studios copying each other isn't exactly a new thing. Even though i agree coming out with new concepts isn't Blizzard's forte, they just improve existing ones.

blizzard copies most of their stuff from elsewhere. What amazes me is how they get away with it by making it a tiny bit different

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, no, dont make a thread again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    If Valve sues Blizzard for Overwatch I would like to see Blizzard sue Valve for DOTA 2, which has a way closer resemblance to WarCraft 3 than Overwatch has to Team Fortress 2.
    They did, about the name and blizzard lost and settled.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    They even kept the names of most of them (Leoric anyone?).
    Leoric is just a name thought nobody can sue on that ground. Otherwise nobody could use the name john in anything by now. Hes Leoric the wraith king now. So the only thing they have in common is they are name Leoric and happen to be king! I mean at the end of the day, elves, orcs, wizard, monsters were not invented by valve or blizzard or everquest. Theres nobody to sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    Erm, open Dota 2 and look at 90% of the heroes.
    I kind of disagree with how much work they put in some heroes now not even half of them still look anything like WC3 units anymore and im not just talking quality. An old hero like Anti Mage never looked anything like illidan, which was many people complain lol, the only visual queue that they are the same unit is that they wear 2 blades, but they arent the only ones doing so. Things like faceless void, legion commander and many others look nothing like their WC3 units, only their spell work the same, but most of those spells did not exist in blizzard version of WC3, only in the community mod defense of the ancients. There is no ground to sue really.

I mean some of the closer ones are crystal maiden and jaina and to be honest they really set them appart well. The only thing they share is using ice and pale blue/white clothing. Crystal is made to sound like a simple minded innocent girl, to the point where she sounds kinda special lol. (she even lose intelligence stat points in a couple of patches) Lore catching up to the gameplay.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2015-07-06 at 04:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Leoric is just a name thought nobody can sue on that ground. Otherwise nobody could use the name john in anything by now. Hes Leoric the wraith king now. So the only thing they have in common is they are name Leoric and happen to be king! I mean at the end of the day, elves, orcs, wizard, monsters were not invented by valve or blizzard or everquest. Theres nobody to sue.
    Eh, they renamed him to Ostarion the Wraith King ages ago for exactly that reason. Leoric the Skeleton King is a Blizzard character, no one can use this name/race combo without Blizzard's permission.

Are you saying Blizzard should sue Dota 2 and LoL aswell then?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Are you saying Blizzard should sue Dota 2 and LoL aswell then?
    Why? They didn't invent Dota. It was a mod for W3 made by community. Check your facts before posting.

Oh and they (Both Blizz and Riot) lost the case against Valve.
    Last edited by mmocbaf9e94c6f; 2015-07-07 at 11:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Why?
    That company literally copied everything in HS, it was intellectual theft.
    By your logic, anyone who made the most popular game of any genre should sue anyone making a game in the same genre. Have you seen all the generic FPS games out there that look the same? Come on.

Blizzard was in a legal dispute about the ownership of Dota 2, but it was settled.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont even know why people are defending TF2. It's not a good game anymore and it's just a cash cow for Valve to milk, like the hillarious latest "update".
    The game is as good as I remember it, and the update is pretty much praised by everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Toralin View Post
    Nothing like TF2..
    Let's not joke - you could create a TF2 skin and call it overwatch and you would be playing almost the same game.

That said, suing for it would get nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Let's not joke - you could create a TF2 skin and call it overwatch and you would be playing almost the same game.

That said, suing for it would get nowhere.
    Like how you could skin Everquest and call it World of Warcraft?

Or Dune 2000 and call it Warcraft?

Or Quake and call it Team Fortress?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Like how you could skin Everquest and call it World of Warcraft?

Or Dune 2000 and call it Warcraft?

Or Quake and call it Team Fortress?
    Yeah.. this. /thread

Well you could even say than every modern RTS came from Dune2.

Deleted
    This is trollbait, just ignore it

I wouldn't worry about it, Overwatch looks like a load of crap. Nice graphics but that gameplay looks horrible.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    They did, about the name and blizzard lost and settled.
    I wasn't serious when I said that. Valve has no reason to sue as well as Blizzard. Also, that stuff is old news, and the lawsuit was only about the name Dota, not the contents of the game which was the topic of dicussion.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2015-07-09 at 02:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Why? They didn't invent Dota. It was a mod for W3 made by community. Check your facts before posting.

Oh and they (Both Blizz and Riot) lost the case against Valve.
    i'm pretty sure riot didn't sue valve for anything

riot sided with blizzard on the "DoTa should not be a trademarked name, it belongs to the gaming community, not to a single company"

that was why blizzard sued valve and why blizzard didn't trademark it themselves when the had the chance, Blizzard and Riot believe everyone should be able to use the name Dota for their moba game, as it was created by a community for a community, valve just went in and yanked it for themself

Basically
    Blizzard starts making DotA All-stars (Now Heroes of the Storm)
    Valve comes into the light and is making DotA 2
    Valve trademarks the name DotA
    Blizzard sues Valve for using the name DotA because they want the name to be free for everyone (blizzard is even using if for their own game)
    Riot joins in on the subject and also wants the name to be free to use for everyone
    Valve wins cus they trademarked the name first
    Blizzard forced to change name

DotA has been a free name for years since warcraft 3 and no one ever trademarked the name, Valve came and trademarked it and the other companies got butthurt about it.

you could look at it like this.
    Valve is a dickhead for trademarking DotA as it was created by a community for a community and no one else had trademarked it because of that or Valve was smart enough to trademark such a big name as DoTa and the other companies just weren't fast enough to trademark the goldmine.
    Last edited by mmocc06943eaac; 2015-07-11 at 03:33 AM.