Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The UK is one of the top three economies in the EU and a net contributor, so there are billions of reasons why the rest of the EU would care. Literally billions.
    Net contributor my arse. You're conveniently not factoring in all the benefits of being an EU member brings to the economy.
    I'm really tired of people trying to spin that EU membership is some sort of financial drain on the country.
    Besides immigration the only reason I can think of for them wanting out is the unwillingness to further integrate into the EU. If Britain thinks it can do better on its own then by all means, have at it. Just don't expect to have the same bargaining power as before. The illusion that you'll have more freedom to trade with other countries will fall flat on its face once you realise that:

1) The EU will still be your biggest trade partner whether you like it or not, only now you'll have no say in any new laws they plan on passing. Your goods will also be less competitive in price compared to other EU countries.

2) The US, Canada, Japan and other countries have stated before that they will not only find the UK a less attractive trade partner if it leaves the EU, but they will also relocate a lot of their businesses elsewhere.

A Brexit will negatively impact the economy, that is a FACT... not to mention the social and political ramifications of such a move. The real question is if the "freedom" you get in return will be worth the cost.

The EU are going to give the UK special concessions to keep us in, do you think they'd do that because they like our fish and chips?
    Really? Because that hasn't been the case so far. Why should the UK get special treatment?
    Last edited by mmoc438dc94cad; 2015-05-25 at 10:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    Net contributor my arse.
    We are a net contributor, whether your arse likes it or not.

You're conveniently not factoring in all the benefits of being an EU member brings to the economy.
    I'm really tired of people trying to spin that EU membership is some sort of financial drain on the country.
    Besides immigration the only reason I can think of for them wanting out is the unwillingness to further integrate into the EU. If Britain it can do better on its own then by all means, have at it. Just don't expect to have the same bargaining power as before. The illusion that you'll have more freedom to trade with other countries will fall flat on its face once you realise that:

1) The EU will still be your biggest trade partner whether you like it or not, only now you'll have no say in any new laws they plan on passing. Your goods will also be less competitive in price compared to other EU countries.

2) The US, Canada, Japan and other countries have stated before that they will not only find the UK a less attractive trade partner if it leaves the EU, but they will also move their business elsewhere.

A Brexit will negatively impact the economy, that is a FACT... not to mention the social and political ramification of such a move. The real question is if the "freedom" you get in return will be worth the cost.
    I'm pro-EU membership, I know the benefits of being a member.

Really? Because that hasn't been the case so far.
    We get a rebate and Junckers has stated he wants to make a deal acceptable to Britain. They're negotiating now.

I'm pretty sure that the smaller/poorer nations would disagree and having the world's 5th largest economy of 60 million people as a member is a huge plus point in any trade negotiations.

The EU are going to give the UK special concessions to keep us in, do you think they'd do that because they like our fish and chips?
    Yeah, sure, it's a plus point, but the ever lasting whining that is coming from UK is getting a bit out of hand. If you don't want to be part of EU, don't be. The negotiation power of EU will drop a bit, the negotiation of UK will drop like a rock. Some countries will get less money from EU. I am pretty sure we will survive that. Just make up your mind.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    We are a net contributor, whether your arse likes it or not..
    Disproportional net contributor.
    Paying reduced membership fee already.

I think the City State of London will make the right call and vote against leaving.

Deleted
    We are a net contributor, whether your arse likes it or not.
    So are a lot of countries. Why aren't they bitching about it?
    Also EU funds are not cotton candy. Newer members will become net contributors with time as well.
    We get a rebate and Junckers has stated he wants to make a deal acceptable to Britain. They're negotiating now.
    Oh please. That's code word for "we are keeping up appearances", nothing will result of them.
    Last edited by mmoc438dc94cad; 2015-05-25 at 11:06 PM.

Deleted
    Good.

Also just because something makes the front page of BBC News doesn't mean we need a thread for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I'm really curious what makes you think british politicians are more honest or closer to the people than EU politicians.
    Did I ever say that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Good.

Also just because something makes the front page of BBC News doesn't mean we need a thread for it.
    Yeah but the pressing question is are the Azores the next holiday destination?
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Good.

Especially a subject that has been debated so much that it's starting to stink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Yeah, sure, it's a plus point, but the ever lasting whining that is coming from UK is getting a bit out of hand. If you don't want to be part of EU, don't be. The negotiation power of EU will drop a bit, the negotiation of UK will drop like a rock. Some countries will get less money from EU. I am pretty sure we will survive that. Just make up your mind.
    To be honest, we don't give a shit if you don't like the whining, we aren't in the EU for your benefit.

So are a lot of countries. Why aren't they bitching about it?
    Also EU funds are not cotton candy. Newer members will become net contributors with time as well.
    You just said we weren't a net contributor, make your mind up.

Oh please. That's code word for "we are keeping up appearances", nothing will result of them.
    Should I believe random person on the internet or the President of the EU? Hmm, tough choice.

Deleted
    A lot won't, and there'd have to be a "grace" period enforced anyway. Like people outside of the EU all they'd have to do is show they have a source of income, a certain amount of money available to them and then some basic grasp of English, then they can get a work permit. These numbers are limited but we don't know whether the number would increase.

This only goes for the low skill workers, the high skill workers don't have such a problem. Plus they probably already speak English.

Even if we voted to leave the EU (which is unlikely) there'd be a significant period of time in which they would be able to stay, it wouldn't be like flicking a switch. Thus, leaving the country today over fears of a referendum for which we don't even have a date for let alone any idea what would happen if we did vote, is stupid. There are quite literally years between today and when anyone deemed "not good enough" would have to go.

Oh and [citation needed]

Edit: Hmm deleted posts. Oh well.
    So what does that mean for a regular Tesco picker such as myself?

To be honest, we don't give a shit if you don't like the whining, we aren't in the EU for your benefit.
    Luckily, UK voters may be dumb enough to exit anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not "lucky" for anyone unless your only goal is a different complaint taking the spotlight. UK leaving hurts both the UK and Europe. Nobody wins.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Right, because the UK joined to help others not for its own interest.

You just said we weren't a net contributor, make your mind up.
    Both. It's like paying a $1 bill at an all you can eat buffet and then stuffing your face worth of hundreds of dollars while complaining how expensive the food is.

Traditionally, the UK net contributions to the EU budget are less than 1% of UK’s public spending.
    While all bigger and richer member states are net contributors, as a contribution per capita the UK is behind countries like Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands or Austria, Finland and Belgium.
    Finally, the estimated benefits of EU membership for the UK economy vastly exceed the UK’s gross budget contribution, let alone its net one. You don’t have to take my word for it, the CBI estimates the direct net economic benefits alone at between £62bn and £78bn every year:

http://www.cbi.org.uk/campaigns/our-...utweigh-costs/

Should I believe random person on the internet or the President of the EU? Hmm, tough choice.
    No such thing exists. You must mean the President of the EU Commission who unlike a national head of government, does not determine foreign policy, command troops or raise taxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the main parties are pro-EU and we haven't started the campaign yet. It'll be an onslaught of pro-EU rhetoric.

- - - Updated - - -

Right, because the UK joined to help others not for its own interest.
    I said we're in it because it benefits us, if it didn't i wouldn't be pro-EU.

Both. It's like paying a $1 bill at an all you can eat buffet and then stuffing your face worth of hundreds of dollars while complaining how expensive the food is.
    Do you not know what net contributor means in respect of the EU? According to you no country is a net contributor.

There's no point in quoting the CBI reports on the EU to me, I've read them all thoroughly. They're one of the reasons I'm pro-EU membership.

No such thing exists. You must mean the President of the EU Commission who unlike a national head of government, does not determine foreign policy, command troops or raise taxes.
    You know exactly what I meant, I even mentioned his name earlier, pathetic pedantry is just that.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its the main reason Labour lost the Election.
    Around here its nearly all polish people. They are fine no trouble the thing that scares people they simply wont speak English wont really integrate
    loads have but a very small minority ask for polish teachers for the children as they are only here to make money and how no intention of staying longterm.
    this gets reported in the local paper and you can imagine the reaction. Local services are almost at collapse because they simply cant cope with the extra pressure.
    There's a whole load of money the british Government can claim back from the countries of origin but they simply cant be bothered (again this never gets reported).

David Cameron's government is obsessed with everything Welfare/Benefits related and it suits the current narrative of blaming those people for austerity and generally people feeling miserable on Migrants and people on Welfare. Not the big banks who caused the problems and the big companies that love avoiding Tax.
    its all incredibly depressing at the moment I have no doubt the UK is going to leave the EU. Around here alone its like 76% in favour of leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    It's not "lucky" for anyone unless your only goal is a different complaint taking the spotlight. UK leaving hurts both the UK and Europe. Nobody wins.
    That's hard to say. The situation where UK is forever displeased with being in EU is not sustainable either.

Deleted
    That's hard to say. The situation where UK is forever displeased with being in EU is not sustainable either.
    Hah ask scotland.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been that way since we joined and that's about 40 years ago, so why can't it carry on for another 40 years?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not well versed on this topic. Why does Britain want to leave the EU? And what are the pros and cons of them leaving the EU?

Would love an explanation, if not a good article to read through.