Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    except we know literally nothing about whatever integration it is when it could be as simple as "link your nintendo account and get 10 pokeballs" like when you preorder the games.

the leak doesnt say anything about needing go or it being an integral part of the game.

does the z move toy bracelet prevent you from playing sun and moon to the fullest? or is it just a fuckin toy for 10 year olds that ultimately has no affect on the game?
    Considering its Niantic, I doubt they could even get that working properly. Any type of integration would be impossible with that game. Even if its something as simple as linking the accounts. I just don't want them even starting down a path where they think any linking or integration is a good idea. That then opens the doors to other things they could attempt to connect it to with that game.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Nah, far from it, but let's leave the switch out of this, cause this is not the point of this thread.
    no its not far from it. it is a success. that isnt debatable just because YOU dont like it.

i dont like the hunger games movies, i dont deny those movies were successful. you dont get to say "well i dont think its succesful" just because you dont like something.

the switch is selling pretty much on par with the ps4 which is setting itself up to outsell the ps2 before the end of its generation which is the most succesful console of all time. and no, it isnt off topic, pokemon is now a switch only series.

and trying to say there is nothing we cant do in kanto that would be new or original? really? so i guess black and white 2 added nothing to unova, gold and silver added nothing to kanto.

these are sequels. there could be a whole new villain team, we dont know whether its a new gen or not there could be new pokemon and even if it isnt a new gen usum has proved tendo will add new pokemon mid generation if they feel like it now. even if we just go by the timeline of

fr/lg = oras -> hgss = dppt -> b/w -> b/w2 = xy -> usum

thats over 3 games of world events since weve been to kanto. the gym leaders couldve changed substantially and places could be changed, this isnt even taking into account the fact the game will be forced to greatly expand the zones because well it isnt fucking 2d anymore. and this isnt even including the possiblity of us visiting johto, sevii isles or any other areas.

not to mention kanto has some of the most untapped resources for story content. the legendaries in kanto have gotten almost no screentime. they could easily make a story revolving around the birds or mewtwo/mew if they wished to and expand on them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Considering its Niantic, I doubt they could even get that working properly. Any type of integration would be impossible with that game. Even if its something as simple as linking the accounts. I just don't want them even starting down a path where they think any linking or integration is a good idea. That then opens the doors to other things they could attempt to connect it to with that game.
    saying its not a good idea when there are millions of people who played go who have never played a pokemon game at all and plenty more who havent played since the gameboy days is a dumb business move.

if anything nintendo should be doing MORE cross promotion in order to convert players of go into people buying switches and playing pokemon.

i could even see them making it so that go pokemon can be transferred over to lets go and/or pokebank like they did with the remakes.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering Odyssey and BotW's resounding success for their respective franchises, a lot is riding on Game Freak's shoulders to get this right, rather than it being decent.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    Considering Odyssey and BotW's resounding success for their respective franchises, a lot is riding on Game Freak's shoulders to get this right, rather than it being decent.
    considering how well gen 1 pandering has been doing the pokemon company in merch sales lately i wouldnt be surprised if the game sold well just because its in kanto even if it ends up being bad

- - - Updated - - -

if they allow eevee to evolve they better give us gorochu to compensate
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

saying its not a good idea when there are millions of people who played go who have never played a pokemon game at all and plenty more who havent played since the gameboy days is a dumb business move.

if anything nintendo should be doing MORE cross promotion in order to convert players of go into people buying switches and playing pokemon.

i could even see them making it so that go pokemon can be transferred over to lets go and/or pokebank like they did with the remakes.
    Doesn't matter that Millions played it that have never played a pokemon game. How does that mean it would be a good business move to cross promote it? They lost over 80% of the daily active users. Meaning that a lot of people jumped on for the fad factor and left when they discovered they don't actually like pokemon.

I could agree that cross promotion would be good at the start, when they had nearly 30 million players. However, since its had such a drastic drop, and Niantic has earned a reputation of being crappy, it wouldn't help them too much. More then likely, the ones who still play are the ones who would purchase their game anyway. There is nothing that points to them gaining new customers with any type of cross promotion.

While you could imagine being able to transfer pokemon from go, I can't. Coming from experience, as I said, Niantic can't keep their servers up or communication going with their own accessory. Any attempt to transfer would be met with their incompetency.
    ??
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

These rumors sound unlikely while the titles sound like spin-off titles... which are unlikely to come out before Gen 8.

Ain’t believing this one bit.

Doesn't matter that Millions played it that have never played a pokemon game. How does that mean it would be a good business move to cross promote it? They lost over 80% of the daily active users. Meaning that a lot of people jumped on for the fad factor and left when they discovered they don't actually like pokemon.

I could agree that cross promotion would be good at the start, when they had nearly 30 million players. However, since its had such a drastic drop, and Niantic has earned a reputation of being crappy, it wouldn't help them too much. More then likely, the ones who still play are the ones who would purchase their game anyway. There is nothing that points to them gaining new customers with any type of cross promotion.

While you could imagine being able to transfer pokemon from go, I can't. Coming from experience, as I said, Niantic can't keep their servers up or communication going with their own accessory. Any attempt to transfer would be met with their incompetency.
    ??
    pokemon go is still one of the most popular games on the app store, gamefreak is pretty incompetent as well. do you not notice the constant fps drops and other bugs in the past few pokemon games even when other games with higher graphical fidelity run fine on the 3ds.

this is the same company that went into the 3d era kicking and screaming and from the leaked screenshots even this game is just going to be essentially sumo in 1080p, hopefully the switch wont die from their crappy coding in double battles.

considering go doesnt really work at all like a normal pokemon game they could easily just randomize the stats or do like the remakes and just give them perfect ivs and shit.

doesnt take much at all to communicate with a server and say "hey this is a poliwhirl"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    These rumors sound unlikely while the titles sound like spin-off titles... which are unlikely to come out before Gen 8.

Ain’t believing this one bit.
    nintendo already trademarked the names using the same company that they trademark all main series titles with. theyre legit.

pokemon go is still one of the most popular games on the app store, gamefreak is pretty incompetent as well. do you not notice the constant fps drops and other bugs in the past few pokemon games even when other games with higher graphical fidelity run fine on the 3ds.

this is the same company that went into the 3d era kicking and screaming and from the leaked screenshots even this game is just going to be essentially sumo in 1080p, hopefully the switch wont die from their crappy coding in double battles.

considering go doesnt really work at all like a normal pokemon game they could easily just randomize the stats or do like the remakes and just give them perfect ivs and shit.

doesnt take much at all to communicate with a server and say "hey this is a poliwhirl"
    Gamefreak does have its downfall. Niantic though, fails with server communication. I used my Pokemon Trainer Club account and that server is constantly crashing.

I am just not wanting Niantic to ruin the main games. That's all. I can deal with a few fps drops here and there. Just not being able to even play for days on in because something wont connect.

nintendo already trademarked the names using the same company that they trademark all main series titles with. theyre legit.
    It shuld be pointed out that it wasn't trademarks, but rather website domains. pokemonletsgopikachu.com and pokemonletsgoeevee.com were both registered a couple of days ago. We probably won't see the actual trademarks for the games until the day before or day of the announcement.

Also, there has been a heavy focus on Eevee, especially since the Project Eevee Twitter account came up right after USUM came out, and a heavy emphasis on gen 1 nostalgia in the main Pokemon Twitter accounts in the past month or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Gamefreak does have its downfall. Niantic though, fails with server communication. I used my Pokemon Trainer Club account and that server is constantly crashing.

I am just not wanting Niantic to ruin the main games. That's all. I can deal with a few fps drops here and there. Just not being able to even play for days on in because something wont connect.
    I seriously doubt Niantic will be directly helping with the games. GameFreak taking inspiration from Go and using some ideas from it is what I expect.

ive personally never played go but the only thing im worried about from the leaks is the bit about capturing but different ones say different things. some imply when they say that catching is like go that they mean you can use the joy cons/swipe the touch screen when you throw a pokeball.

Those were domain name registrations. They also did that for Brown, Grey, and several other titles they won’t be releasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    Now dont get me wrong I'd love for all of that stuff to happen, but to be fair setting the expectation at these points is gonna set you up for disappointment, pretty much guaranteed
    Mainly this:

Fairy now takes Neutral damage from Bug type moves, instead of resisting it.
    Fairy now takes super effective damage from Dark type moves, instead of resisting it.
    Fairy type moves are now super effective versus Ghost type Pokémon.

Note: Fairy is still super effective versus Dark type Pokemon.

My thoughts: while Psychic is one of my most beloved types along with Fighting, fairy is simply too good since its introduction, and also I would much prefer for Good & Evil to be super effective to each other thematically. Bug neutrality to make bugs more relevant and less needlessly countered by the fairies. Ghosts are currently way too good and need another weakness, and I believe it thematically fits to disperse ghosts with Good/Light/Fairy.

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    Those were domain name registrations. They also did that for Brown, Grey, and several other titles they won’t be releasing.
    grey was originally going to be the third game for gen 5, brown and purple were registered even longer ago.

neither of them were leaked beforehand

10+ Year Old Account
    Mainly this:

Fairy now takes super effective damage from Dark type moves, instead of resisting it.

Note: Fairy is still super effective versus Dark type Pokemon.

My thoughts: while Psychic is one of my most beloved types along with Fighting, fairy is simply too good since its introduction, and also I would much prefer for Good & Evil to be super effective to each other thematically. Bug neutrality to make bugs more relevant and less needlessly countered by the fairies. Ghosts are currently way too good and need another weakness, and I believe it thematically fits to disperse ghosts with Good/Light/Fairy.
    Dark would become pretty insane as an attacking type having only Fighting and Dark itself resist it. Given that Dark attack distribution is actually rather widespread I don't think this is a good idea. I also don't think Fairy as a defensive typing needs much of an adjustment, removing the Bug resistance is fine tho, it doesn't make much sense anyway.
    As for the change to Ghost, sure why not, having only 2 weaknesses alongside 2 resists and 2 immunities is pretty nuts.

On the topic of the switch game: Immitis does make a lot of sense with what he's saying and I would definitely give a sequel in the vein of BW2 a chance. I also don't see how the Go integration thing could ruin anything, I expect the battle system, and thus most of the gameplay, to remain the same. If they do change how catching works, well so fucking what? Hell if it perhaps adds a skill element to it, I would even be for it. It just an RNG fiesta right now anyway.

Dark would become pretty insane as an attacking type having only Fighting and Dark itself resist it. Given that Dark attack distribution is actually rather widespread I don't think this is a good idea. I also don't think Fairy as a defensive typing needs much of an adjustment, removing the Bug resistance is fine tho, it doesn't make much sense anyway.
    As for the change to Ghost, sure why not, having only 2 weaknesses alongside 2 resists and 2 immunities is pretty nuts.
    Maybe give something else an immunity to Dark, cause it is oppresive for sure if one has no Fairy type.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe give something else an immunity to Dark, cause it is oppresive for sure if one has no Fairy type.
    Fair enough, how bout Bug? It's already super effective against Dark but given how frail Bugs usually are, giving them immunity might not be a bad idea. It would also align nicely with your goal of making Bug relevant.

Fair enough, how bout Bug? It's already super effective against Dark but given how frail Bugs usually are, giving them immunity might not be a bad idea. It would also align nicely with your goal of making Bug relevant.
    That's actually brilliant, and it makes so much sense thematically too, as bugs do not generally rely on sight for anything.

- - - Updated - - -

So, we end up with this:

Fairy now takes Neutral damage from Dark type moves, instead of resisting it.
    Bug is now immune to Dark type moves.

grey was originally going to be the third game for gen 5, brown and purple were registered even longer ago.

neither of them were leaked beforehand
    Grey was Speculated to be the third game, despite Nintendo saying otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's actually brilliant, and it makes so much sense thematically too, as bugs do not generally rely on sight for anything.

- - - Updated - - -

So, we end up with this:

Sounds good to me. Next up: how do we fix Ice as a defensive type?
    I think adding water resist would be a good first step

Sounds good to me. Next up: how do we fix Ice as a defensive type?
    I think adding water resist would be a good first step
    That's so true and given to me, I didn't even bother to include it xD. I also propose for ice to resist Fighting. It really makes no sense for someone to punch Ice.

Ice now resists Water type moves, instead of taking Neutral damage from it.
    Ice now resists Fighting type moves, instead of taking super-effective damage from it.