Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    How do buying games for Switch work? Or what are the options? Is it like a cartridge that u buy in a detail store and insert into the handheld like Gameboy era? Or do u buy it online and download it like PC games on Steam?
    Which option has more chance to be cheaper or have a discount at some point in time?
    Basically what is your preferred way of aquiring games for Switch?
    You can buy either online or cartridge. If you are looking to save money, used cartridges will likely be the best bet as Pokemon games are rarely on sale. I tend to buy one version physical and the other digital, but I often pick up a few physical versions later. I own 3 switches (an OLED, normal Switch, and a lite. My nieces and nephew comes over and we will often play together).

Also how different is Legends Arceus from the rest of the mainline games? What is so different?
    You can catch pokemon without battling them by simply hitting them with a ball. Pokemon have different "moods" where they will either be chill around you, run away, or attack. You are able to craft pokeballs, potions, and other items. It is semi-open world. There are five major areas that are open where various pokemon to catch. There are very few battles in the game as most of it is about quests and catching pokemon. There aren't gyms, instead your story pace is tracked by quelled Noble pokemon which you fight mainly instead of your pokemon as well as your star rank in the Survey Corps. You need to dodge their attacks, hit them with balms, and battle them occassionally.

Because pokemon games entering that 3D era made them very much different from what i remember when playing them on GBA.
    Say, Lets Go has the same feel as old (gen 1, 2, 3) games, then theres something like Sun and Moon and also Sword Shield (correct me if im wrong) that have fixed camera but the area isnt that 'boxxy' like Lets Go, and then theres Scarlet Violet which has the camera in third person, behind the players back.

I have a feeling the last two types have less of that open world puzzle element than Lets Go and first few gen games, because that was a big part of the gameplay, at least for the first time of playthrough, beside just pokemon battles.
    Let's Go feels like a dumbed down Pokemon Yellow. You get either Pikachu or Eevee (Version dependent) as a starter that has about 100 BST increase over their normal. There are pretty much no wild pokemon battles (you do fight the Legendaries and Snorlax but catching is still the same). Catching uses Pokemon Go mechanics with one joycon/pokeball controller if you have it.

BDSP is basically just Diamond and Pearl with a chibi overlay. The only differences are the underground where pokemon can spawn and the fact the Elite 4 is harder than based BDSP as they have max IVs and some EV even on first round.

Legends and ScVi are the only ones with a free cam in all cases (save cut scenes). All others have fixed cameras (save SwSh in DLC areas and Wild Area in base game.)
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2023-10-12 at 05:11 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It's not that Let's go doesn't need a quest log, it's that it doesn't HAVE quests. It has a main story and that's it. You're moving your goalpost now when you criticized the quality of quests in the only Pokemon game that had quests as if the rest did it better.

There's a reason why Legends was praised for actually breaking the Pokemon mold and being the most innovative Pokemon game in a long time. If you want to pretend some kiddie remake of the originals is better, by all means, continue to do so. But don't act as if difficulty is part of the reason either like you tried to then.
    It is better, because la is bad. And i say it the thirs time now: yes, the idea and gameolay of LA is good, its fun, but the execution ist just awful and fcking bad.

And i rather pick a standard pokemon game without gamebreaking bugs, graphic glitchless and overall really bad/wierd artstyle over a mess then LA.

Its like you choose between a well made soup with fresh bread vs a burned kobesteak, with obersalted potatoes and wilted salad.

And to get to the candy thing, in lets gonu can farm candys and being op, in all ofher games u grind wild mons and being op aswell. Its just much faster.

And i didnt say Lets go is a good game, its just the best on the switch, but all switch Pokemon games suck hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    It is better, because la is bad. And i say it the thirs time now: yes, the idea and gameolay of LA is good, its fun, but the execution ist just awful and fcking bad.

And i rather pick a standard pokemon game without gamebreaking bugs, graphic glitchless and overall really bad/wierd artstyle over a mess then LA.

Its like you choose between a well made soup with fresh bread vs a burned kobesteak, with obersalted potatoes and wilted salad.

And to get to the candy thing, in lets gonu can farm candys and being op, in all ofher games u grind wild mons and being op aswell. Its just much faster.

And i didnt say Lets go is a good game, its just the best on the switch, but all switch Pokemon games suck hard.
    I think you are just taking a minority opinion to be edgy.

Based on how you describe Legends, it is clear you didn't play it yourself.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I think you are just taking a minority opinion to be edgy.

Based on how you describe Legends, it is clear you didn't play it yourself.
    I played it and its fcking boring. I dont try to be edgy i just speak the truth. You know many people call these games but not to act edgy, they call them.bad because they actually ARE BAD.

If it would called TemTem Legends the game would be rated at 30 at metascore.

Pokemon games these days are all bad and rushed trash, that is only carried by little kids and boomera with huge nostalgic goggles.

Pokemon deserve something better, and they games could be better, but there is no need, cause there are enough people who buy this shit and defending the games online.

Its totally fine that you like the game or enjoy it, but dont call this game good. Its like you saying mcdonalds burgers are good meals. They are also trash compared to REAL meals/burgers.
    Last edited by saixilein; 2023-10-14 at 09:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    I played it and its fcking boring. I dont try to be edgy i just speak the truth.

If it would called TemTem Legends the game would be rated at 30 at metascore.

Pokemon games these days are all bad and rushed trash, that is only carried by little kids and boomera with huge nostalgic goggles.
    Yeah, still do not believe you played it. If you did, you maybe got through the second noble. You have said a lot of things that are incorrect about the game.

Again, it is clear you are just being edgy. Legends has an 8.1/10 average user score on Metacritic, that is more than just "little kids and bommera" enjoying it. And critics are similar giving an average of 83/100. In general, the view is Arceus is a GOOD game, not a McDonalds burger to a real burger comparison.

If you compare that to Let's Go, the User rating is 6.3/10 for users and a 79/100 from critics. Fans didn't like the Let's Go games. They are as poorly rated as SwSh and ScVi, but they aren't loved and they aren't the best on the switch. It is funny you think Legends, the game that diverts the most from the formula of pokemon is liked by little kids and boomers, but Let's Go is the best ... despite being a Kanto remake and the easiest pokemon game of all time, literally mean to appeal to Gen 1 fanboys and little kids.
    –The Sith Code

Yeah, still do not believe you played it. If you did, you maybe got through the second noble. You have said a lot of things that are incorrect about the game.

Again, it is clear you are just being edgy. Legends has an 8.1/10 average user score on Metacritic, that is more than just "little kids and bommera" enjoying it. And critics are similar giving an average of 83/100. In general, the view is Arceus is a GOOD game, not a McDonalds burger to a real burger comparison.

If you compare that to Let's Go, the User rating is 6.3/10 for users and a 79/100 from critics. Fans didn't like the Let's Go games. They are as poorly rated as SwSh and ScVi, but they aren't loved and they aren't the best on the switch. It is funny you think Legends, the game that diverts the most from the formula of pokemon is liked by little kids and boomers, but Let's Go is the best ... despite being a Kanto remake and the easiest pokemon game of all time, literally mean to appeal to Gen 1 fanboys and little kids.
    Just stay in your bubble its okay.

ciao

10+ Year Old Account
    Which game's gimmick (mega form, dynamax, z-move etc) was the best in your opinion and why?

Also, do u think it should be continued along all future games or should they stay exclusive to their game?
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Which game's gimmick (mega form, dynamax, z-move etc) was the best in your opinion and why?

Also, do u think it should be continued along all future games or should they stay exclusive to their game?
    Megas were the "best", but only limited to a few (mainstream) pokemon and some where kinda OP.

Zmove sucked, dynamax sucked aswell.

Terracrystilaze are the really best gimmick of them all, because its available to every pokemon, isnt OP and gives many pokemon a really good strategic way to play. Get rid of some weaknesses or dodging spells like will o wisp with terra fire is just fun.

I'm just gonna say I'm pretty sure he's just here to rile people up.

There's absolutely no logical way to claim Pokemon deserves better and also trash on the one game that gave something unique to the series.

10+ Year Old Account

Megas were interested, but limited. They do not exist on the switch outside of Let's go and don't get involved in most games significantly. But, few pokemon got Megas to really make it worth it. Pretty much imo the best gimmick to date. Though, Terastalizing is close.

Z-moves were Sun and Moon only, they were interesting but the downside did not match the upside. One Z-move per battle limit, and that pokemon had to hold a Z-crystal to use the Z-move.

Dynamax/Giganatamax were fine. They were easier to deal with in the VGC format (2v2) than singles format. It was kind of gimmicky and you got three turns of super moves and increase health. It is just "Pokemon get big." I personally find it boring, though the advantage is that it was more involved in the story of SwSh than Megas were for XY and ORAS.

Terastal, the latest in ScVi, is an interesting gimmick and we don't yet fully know the end game of it. We are getting a 19th Tera type in the next DLC. Currently, it is fine, your pokemon becomes its Tera type which increases the damage from that type if the pokemon uses a move, either gaining STAB to the Tera type, or increasing STAB damage from 1.5x to 2x if the Tera type matches an underlying type. If it wasn't for the silly crowns, this would likely be my favorite mechanic. It just looks silly to me. But, the ability to shift type either offensive or defensive is amazing ... and likely the reason will aren't going to see Shedninja in Gen 9 games with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I'm just gonna say I'm pretty sure he's just here to rile people up.

There's absolutely no logical way to claim Pokemon deserves better and also trash on the one game that gave something unique to the series.
    Yeah, I agree.
    –The Sith Code

Mega Evolutions. The transformation during battle was exciting but the Pokemon could still be practically used in any environment rather than causing a building or cave you're in to collapse. The idea of finding a special stone/crystal that radiated power was neat. There was also a lot of build up in the anime (namely Origins and the Mega Evolution Specials) that made it feel like a really big deal. Gameplay wise, sometimes there was a layer of strategy as to whether or not you should pop the Mega Ring, since it would change your Pokemon's typing and ability and that could be disadvantageous at times. I had an Aggron, a Steelix, a Mawile, and an Altaria.

I liked the idea of elaborate moves, but for Z-moves it involved around a stupid dance. Not cool.

Mega Evolutions should have stayed. Z moves could been improved had they allow you to replace the silly dance with something cooler.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2023-10-14 at 06:16 PM.

Just came here to say that Bulbasaur is #1

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more inclined toward buying Sword/Shield than Scarlet/Violet. Just wanted to share this with you guys.
    Like, open world is cool, but I'll wait till it's more refined and well done. Maybe for Switch 2. S/V looks really half-baked

It's a Netflix show so I have doubts about the writing, but aesthetically looks good so it'll be worth checking it out. Releases in late December.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    [
    It's a Netflix show so I have doubts about the writing, but aesthetically looks good so it'll be worth checking it out. Releases in late December.
    Well they are using stopmotion, so i guess writing must be good at least. Studio behind it also has experience in 3d animation.
    However i see they are playing it very safe.....so its more of a chill type of show and some people may dislike it.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally got my Switch (Coral Animal Crossing edition).
    Ordered Pokemon Sword that should arrive tomorrow.

Got Pokemon Home on my phone with some pokemon i transfered from Pokemon GO.

What else do I need to transfer them into the game and at which point will I be able to do that? After finishing the main story or early into the game?

I even got lvl 1 rabbit pokemon with the proper nature or whatever its called that id like to level up

Finally got my Switch (Coral Animal Crossing edition).
    Ordered Pokemon Sword that should arrive tomorrow.

Got Pokemon Home on my phone with some pokemon i transfered from Pokemon GO.

What else do I need to transfer them into the game and at which point will I be able to do that? After finishing the main story or early into the game?

I even got lvl 1 rabbit pokemon with the proper nature or whatever its called that id like to level up
    Can't rememeber teh point when you can transfer in, but it is pretty soon IIRC. You should try when you reach the Wild Area at the latest.

You can't transfer legendaries from Go to mainline games before that save file has had that legendary from normal Pokémon game in it. No other restriction applies beyond the obvious elephant in the room called Dexit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm liking the Paradox Entei more than I thought I would. It's like an Entei, a Bastiodon, and a Ho-oh had a baby.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

10+ Year Old Account
    So....you can get Meloetta in this game... but its a secret. I may reveal it later.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    So....you can get Meloetta in this game... but its a secret. I may reveal it later.
    The way to make her spawn is absolutely hilarious coming from Game "Azure Flute is too complex for your players" Freak.