Does anyone know a friend that became a professional gamer and is making money?

Just wondering if anyone actually knows someone that is making serious revenue from gaming. One of my students that I am currently teaching english to is a big fan of LOL and WOW he told me that he would like to become a professional gamer after high school. Curious to know if it's feasible nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by serenator View Post
    Just wondering if anyone actually knows someone that is making serious revenue from gaming. One of my students that I am currently teaching english to is a big fan of LOL and WOW he told me that he would like to become a professional gamer after high school. Curious to know if it's feasible nowadays.
    Just tell them its not feasible. Its very rare that it happens and usually only in e-sports. They would have an easier time trying to become a gaming streamer then a professional gamer. Even more so the older they get since it relies heavily on reflexes. If that doesn't stop them, try to make them understand that a hobby turns from fun into actual work. Something they Have to do to practice and get better over and over for hours on end just to try to stay competitive. They would have to find 1 game and stick to that to try to become a professional gamer at that specific game.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Just tell them its not feasible. Its very rare that it happens and usually only in e-sports. They would have an easier time trying to become a gaming streamer then a professional gamer. Even more so the older they get since it relies heavily on reflexes. If that doesn't stop them, try to make them understand that a hobby turns from fun into actual work. Something they Have to do to practice and get better over and over for hours on end just to try to stay competitive. They would have to find 1 game and stick to that to try to become a professional gamer at that specific game.
    He's kind of already gone. Advertised some kpop website then left.

a few guys in the guild stream but they are part timer raiders at best so i cant see how any would make money doing it

That dream dies around the time you start needing money for things that are more important than video games.

I'm not familiar with the LoL scene but I assume it's the same as DOTA2... Asian kids who have been playing 12h a day since they were 10, and who spend several months per year in game bootcamps (unrealistic lifestyle for most people).

No, but I know a friend who started playing and only loses money, lol

Have a few friends that did some pro stuff for a while, but that was before e-sports really took off.
    Won a few thousand or so, i never really paid attention to it.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Long time ago, I tried to become a professional Minesweeper player, but the bills caught up with me quickly. So, I had to find a real job

For every person you see that is even moderately successful at making a living from gaming...you'll find many more that are not.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The only way you're gonna get paid to play video games is if you get a real remote job and play on the side. Aspire to something better in life than playing video games.

I have some friends who've earned some odd winnings, playing various games in their younger years. But that was all to the side of normal education/work.

Thinking you're gonna go "full time" pro-gamer, and make a living is NOT AT ALL a feasible expectation.
    Some games are doing alright, but E-sports as a whole is in a decent downturn at the moment, crashing hard after the high that was crypto money.

Unless you are truly exceptionally skilled at some game, that has a viable scene, you should not ever consider it.
    If you are good, keep it as a hobby, hell, dedicate all your free time to it, and keep pursuing it on the side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

I made pretty good money streaming LoL in China, my best year I made just a tad over 9k/month, but me and my husband had a kid and being a streamer and a mom isn't really a great combo. Working a normal job now.

i went to highschool with a kid whos a pro smite player now

Quote Originally Posted by Sialina View Post
    I made pretty good money streaming LoL in China, my best year I made just a tad over 9k/month, but me and my husband had a kid and being a streamer and a mom isn't really a great combo. Working a normal job now.
    Making over 9k a month sounds like a dream come true for many gamers out there. It must have been a wild ride balancing streaming and motherhood, though. Do you have any tips on how to reach such income?

I'm too old, so no.