10+ Year Old Account
    + 3

10+ Year Old Account
    + 6

so y'all heard about this blizzard and hong kong stuff?

Pretty intense ey?

+9
    What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack in the ground underneath a giant boulder you can’t move, with no hope of rescue. Consider how lucky you are that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn’t been good to you so far, which given your current circumstances seems more likely, consider how lucky you are that it won’t be troubling you much longer.

– Douglas Adams, The Original Hitchhiker Radio Scripts

+ 10

Quote Originally Posted by notJoyful View Post
    so y'all heard about this blizzard and hong kong stuff?

Pretty intense ey?
    That's what the executives will do when they're heading a publicly traded company and have to answer shareholder demands for ever increasing profits year after year. If the executives refused, they will lose their jobs and won't get appointed to an executive position again. Yes, I hold them accountable, but you can't ignore fact that the corporate system fundamentally places profits over any semblance of morality. Only thing keeping that in check is the law. I hope it's brought up at Blizzcon, be it people shouting in the audience during opening ceremony, people flashing signs, or whatever. Don't let them forget! Don't let them sweep it under the rug!

That said, people who are talking about "boycotting Blizzard" are being reactionary. The decision was made by a handful of top level executives, who aren't representative of the company as a whole. A "boycott" would punish the artists who poured their hearts into making games because their bosses made a decision the artists had no input in whatsoever. Buy games based off of the intrinsic value of the game to you, not because of how pure some corporate manager is.

The other thing is, why boycott Blizzard specifically? If I threw a tantrum over every corporate policy, I wouldn't be able to buy food from the grocery store. Everything in the world is owned by some company that is doing or complicit in something unethical. The shirts you buy are probably made by some sweatshop that uses what is effectively slave labor. The diamonds in your ring was mined by effectively slaves. The meat you eat was harvested from factory animals which had a desolate and painful short life. Why boycott Blizzard now? In case you didn't know, a significant portion of Activision-Blizzard shares are owned by Blackrock, a shadowbank that invests in scummy weapons manufacture, among other things. I could go on. That's where you have to acknowledge that you just can't NOT support everything unethical. You have to buy into some system that is culpable in some unethical business eventually, but that doesn't mean you can't call them out on it.

Well yeah, in the current day and age, it's asinine to assume your money wont somehow end up in the Chinese pockets. But at the same time I think you should "boycott" or make some reactionary decision right know. If things keeps going in the current fashion there's not much left than to accept that we will be owned and ruled by our west overlords.

10+ Year Old Account
    + 11

10+ Year Old Account
    + 13

10+ Year Old Account
    + 15