Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    What makes you think it's supposed to be a "pathetic" deconstruction? You keep saying vague shit without ever going into detail. Like your complaint on how the show moves at a glacial pace. Seriously?
    I thought the linked post gave a pretty indepth answer?

The show is bipolar. An arc begins with Subaru trying to be a hero saving people, figuring out the plot, trying to help his friends, etc... only for his actions to concidentally result in someone getting killed, or screwing over one the friends he was trying to help, and then said friends lambasting him for messing their plans up/embarrassing them in front of other people/etc. So the narrative is condemning Subaru. But then, as the arc progresses, the show switches back to a traditional narrative that "no no, Subaru is heroic for persevering and trying to save his friends IN SPITE of them not liking him because of his seemingly inexplicable actions and motivations!" and "look at how cool Subaru is for figuring out the plot/helping to stop this bad guy/getting to headpat this girl!". Hence why I said the show can't decide whether or not it's trying to be a deconstruction, or if it's trying to play the genre straight, because it undermines itself and does both.

A story is 1. character, 2. setting, and 3. plot. A story feels like its going along at a decent pace if we are finding out more about characters, more about the setting, and seeing the plot develop. Ideally at least 2 out of the three in any given scene. The best scenes do all 3 at once. A story that is going slow might do just one in a scene... and if it's really bad, possibly none (aka a meaningless filler scene that wastes your time).

The show moves at a glacial pace because stuff only really happens at the beginning of a new arc, when new characters are introduced, we learn more lore/setting about the world, and there are a few plot developments that happen. For example, the start of arc 3, when we find out that there is a contest to elect a new queen (plot), the lore behind that (setting) that Emillia is competing to become the new queen (character and plot), meet the other 4 queen candidates and their retainers (meeting new characters!). Interesting stuff! Can't wait to see more! But then Subaru goes back to the mansion and finds everyone dead. At that point, the story grinds down to a slog until the end of season 1. Subaru spends the rest of the season, goes around talking to characters finding out a miniscule amount of info, or getting killed which gives him a miniscule amount of info. It's painfully boring to watch and you can honestly just fast forward to Betelgeuse's introductory scene and not really lose anything. And then just fast forward to the part where Subaru recruits Julius and they go off to kill Betelgeuse because... again, you're not missing anything. Same thing with the whale: just fast forward to the part where Reinhard's dad starts cutting up the whale because honestly you're not missing anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    What am I reading

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

The show is bipolar. An arc begins with Subaru trying to be a hero saving people, figuring out the plot, trying to help his friends, etc... only for his actions to concidentally result in someone getting killed, or screwing over one the friends he was trying to help, and then said friends lambasting him for messing their plans up/embarrassing them in front of other people/etc. So the narrative is condemning Subaru. But then, as the arc progresses, the show switches back to a traditional narrative that "no no, Subaru is heroic for persevering and trying to save his friends IN SPITE of them not liking him because of his seemingly inexplicable actions and motivations!" and "look at how cool Subaru is for figuring out the plot/helping to stop this bad guy/getting to headpat this girl!". Hence why I said the show can't decide whether or not it's trying to be a deconstruction, or if it's trying to play the genre straight, because it undermines itself and does both.

A story is 1. character, 2. setting, and 3. plot. A story feels like its going along at a decent pace if we are finding out more about characters, more about the setting, and seeing the plot develop. Ideally at least 2 out of the three in any given scene. The best scenes do all 3 at once. A story that is going slow might do just one in a scene... and if it's really bad, possibly none (aka a meaningless filler scene that wastes your time).

The show moves at a glacial pace because stuff only really happens at the beginning of a new arc, when new characters are introduced, we learn more lore/setting about the world, and there are a few plot developments that happen. For example, the start of arc 3, when we find out that there is a contest to elect a new queen (plot), the lore behind that (setting) that Emillia is competing to become the new queen (character and plot), meet the other 4 queen candidates and their retainers (meeting new characters!). Interesting stuff! Can't wait to see more! But then Subaru goes back to the mansion and finds everyone dead. At that point, the story grinds down to a slog until the end of season 1. Subaru spends the rest of the season, goes around talking to characters finding out a miniscule amount of info, or getting killed which gives him a miniscule amount of info. It's painfully boring to watch and you can honestly just fast forward to Betelgeuse's introductory scene and not really lose anything. And then just fast forward to the part where Subaru recruits Julius and they go off to kill Betelgeuse because... again, you're not missing anything. Same thing with the whale: just fast forward to the part where Reinhard's dad starts cutting up the whale because honestly you're not missing anything.
    https://www.psycom.net/child-autism-test

Infracted for trolling.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2021-04-05 at 10:12 PM.

I suppose its MAL description and the way people hyped it up promised me something that didn't turn out to be true. I saw a lot of comparisons to Re:Zero and Shield Hero about the MC being a nobody with the whole world against him.
    I've only ever seen it hated on or ridiculed.

Righteously so I'd say. The entire story is just depravity for the sake of depravity. Nothing about it was ever interesting.

Anyone thinking it's on the same level as Re:Zero is just disappointing to me. Re:Zero is taking its time to build up an impressive story that constantly has more hooks of mystery, where every answer comes with several new questions. Hell the last several episodes of Re:Zero were all 29 minutes long and I still wanted more.

Some of the best bits of Re:Zero s2 was the talking parts. The talk between Beatrice and Subaru in the library was so emotional and Betty saying his name for the first time was instant tears.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I've only ever seen it hated on or ridiculed.

Righteously so I'd say. The entire story is just depravity for the sake of depravity. Nothing about it was ever interesting.

Anyone thinking it's on the same level as Re:Zero is just disappointing to me. Re:Zero is taking its time to build up an impressive story that constantly has more hooks of mystery, where every answer comes with several new questions. Hell the last several episodes of Re:Zero were all 29 minutes long and I still wanted more.
    You can't really compare anything to Re:Zero. It's fantastic on a meta level and every other level down. Doesn't mean Healer isn't good trashy fun. If Re:Zero as an elegantly baked layered cake then Healer is a bag of shredded cheese. I like both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Goes House-Hunting is a pretty ok comedy so far. Animations look a bit *weird* tho.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

This is fucking stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn i noticed after watching that anime fell kinda familiar -- Combatants Will Be Dispatched!

But then i check the author and ....well same person that made Konu suba.

10+ Year Old Account
    JoJo part 6 has been confirmed. It will be the first chapter of JoJo not produced in Japan. Instead it will be made in heaven.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    JoJo part 6 has been confirmed. It will be the first chapter of JoJo not produced in Japan. Instead it will be made in heaven.

I guess they are skipping cowboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I guess they are skipping cowboys.
    Isn't Steel Ball Run part 7?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Isn't Steel Ball Run part 7?
    Yeah, but there were rummors on internet it will come out before it.

That'll teach you to listen to rumors!

Fruits Basket - S3 E1

The new opening is a dud. Detailed, photorealistic backgrounds simply don't mesh well with relatively solid color cartoon characters pasted on top. Also doesn't help that it looks like the characters were sliding across the backgrounds.

So... is Akito in a relationship with three guys? Hatori, Shigure, and Kureno?

You know, I couldn't tell at the time who was who was watching Torhu and Kureno. There are four different girls with black eyes and long black hair in this series. Was it Torhu's goth friend? The horse Souma girl? Akito? Akito's mom? (Yes, it was made clear in another scene, but my point stands).

Well, I'm glad that Torhu didn't say "but, no! You have real bonds with each other!". Torhu is the least interesting character in this series. "You're so special because you care so much about others!"

Awwww, cute art of Kisa x Hiro and their baby. I presume this takes place after the series ends?

- - - Updated - - -

Attack on Titan - chapter 139 END

Spoiler: 
    This is the final chapter of the manga. We have 40 pages to provide closure... and they spent half of it on exposition about "blah blah motives and how the power works". Total nonsense.

*sigh*

Oh look, it's the stupid Code Geass plan all over again! "I shall become a heniously evil mass murder, a villain, that everyone will unite to take down. Thus, when I die, there shall be a world of peace!" goodness gracious stop using this idiotic plan people.

"80% of humanity was killed during the rumbling" goodness gracious fuck you

"She waited 2000 years for someone to free her from the pain of love" what

Are they really talking about "who is going to marry Mikasa" now of all times?

"I wanted to turn the earth into a brand new land" dude, the weight of the colossal titans has hard packed the earth so much that it can never be tilled by plows! It would take explosives and heavy machinery to excavate and unpack and loosen the dirt! Nothing will grow outside of the 20% of the world that was untouched again. It will take hundreds to thousands of years for erosion to loosen the soil and allow life outside of the 20% zone to thrive again!

What the fuck? "Thank you?" No! Fuck him!

Well, it's nice that Connie and Jean lived. But the 8 year/12 year terminal curse being magicked away just like that... I dunno.

Why is Mikasa walking away? The whole stretch of the Marleyan peninsula/continent towards Paradis is a barren wasteland without anything to eat, and any vehicles to cross the ocean to Paradis have been destroyed. She needs to stick with the group here at the Marleyan base and head further south to find another harbor, or to fix the plane.

I don't know. Meh, I guess?

I stand by my statement in 2017 that I feel that I began losing interest after chapter 100 when he went full blown mass murderer and the series became very nihilistic. I had overall liked the series up until that point. But everything after...

- - - Updated - - -

also, once again Japan is back at it again with the victimization of evil. Mass murderers are never held to account for their deeds. The story has to bend over backwards about how "misunderstood" or how "noble" they really were and how tragic their life was. Really grates me.

It seems I'm doomed. The anime and manga and VNs and JRPGs I've been consuming over the past few years all do this, and I hate it.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-04-08 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    And who the actual fuck hyped up Redo? It's a degenerate show for rape fanfic lovers. Everyone has been shitting on it since the day it was announced.
    Agreed. Hype is the wrong word anyway, it was just anticipation for shit hitting the fan, because they knew how much of a weird pick this was. People that read some manga aggregator sites simply they knew exactly where this one is headed, well or what happens in the first 2 chapters. It was about as baffling as the season before when they made a show out of interspecies reviwers, which was originally just a collection of raunchy comedy shorts and they somehow felt this deserves an actual anime..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    To watch this or not to watch this:

....that is a question

Yeah, but there were rummors on internet it will come out before it.
    There's literally no way they could make Steel Ball Run without Stone Ocean first.

People were hoping they'd skip Stone Ocean because it's considered the least popular probably overall, but that's a different story.

To watch this or not to watch this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhMLvIavXp8

....that is a question
    Seems like the cheapest yaoi bait I've ever seen.. if that is your cup of tea just go for it. For me this would already be a drag as a parody in a normal series, even if it only lasted one episode or was 1 important reoccuring character, a whole show? Nah, the gimmik would wear me out in 5 minutes.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zombie Land Saga is back baby!