Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst
... LastLast

He radiates evil.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Somehow I suspect you'd still press charges against a scientist with a history of coming up with life saving cures for murdering a person.
    Somehow I wouldn't try to compare making jokes with murder.

Somehow I suspect you'd still press charges against a scientist with a history of coming up with life saving cures for murdering a person.
    Since when is arresting someone for murder "thought policing"?
    Your example is too extreme for this context.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

The peoples' reaction to his joke is ironic lmao

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    His comments and subsequent weak apology were far below the standards of a professional scientist. It made him sound like a bit of a tit.
    Weak apology? Did you even hear it? Clearly not.

"I'm really sorry that I said what I said, it was a very stupid thing to do in the presence of all those journalists. What was intended was a sort of light hearted ironic comment."
    "I did mean the part about having trouble with girls," he said. "It is true that people - I have fallen in love with people in the lab and people in the lab have fallen in love with me and it's very disruptive to the science because it's terribly important that in a lab people are on a level playing field.
    "I found that these emotional entanglements made life very difficult.
    "I'm really, really sorry I caused any offence, that's awful. I certainly didn't mean that. I just meant to be honest, actually."

"Silly", "mild", "just harmless fun"...
    The argument against him is silly. Find it not funny, fine, slap him on the wrist, fine, but ostracize him? Beyond absurd.

We're so used to sexism that we're not able to see what's right in front of us. He's a sexist old fool.
    No, we're so used to being offended that we cannot brush off any kind of comment anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Dorderi View Post
    "Let me tell you about my trouble with girls … three things happen when they are in the lab … You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you and when you criticise them, they cry."

This doesnt belong anywhere joke or not
    I agree with you and your crusade. we should behead with ISIS everyone that makes a wife, mother-in-law or "a dude of x race, a dude of x religion and a dude of x nationality meet up in a plane." joke

15+ Year Old Account
    No he said to the bbc that his joke was honest and that he believed some of what he said that doesn't sound like much of an apology to me especially with so many already having a hard time in science because of centuries of misogyny.

I really dislike the argument that says he should be forgiven because of his contribution to science. He shouldn't be on those grounds. We've finally managed to address historical abuse cases against celebrities who were seen as untouchable - I don't believe anyone is above being reprimanded as necessary. But if he had properly apologised, I would have supported him.

If he'd apologised, and retracted his comment, I'd have supported him. I don't think we can have comments like this (even a 'joke' gone wrong, because the line between jokes and bullying can be a wavy one) accepted, especially by prominent field leaders in positions of power - however in his apology he didn't seem at all repentant.
    Why the hell should he apologize, and further, care about what you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    The colour of a persons skin doesn't have any influence on that persons ability to percieve problems or issues.
    The fact that you judge him and his qualities based on his skin colour is blatant racism.

And yes, when you make deductions based on a persons skin colour, it is an attack on all people who share that skin colour.

This is basic Tumblr 101: thinking you're defending someone by being racist.

That's just dumb. Of course someone's skin colour influences how their 'ability to perceive problems/issues' BECAUSE of racism and oppression people with certain skin colours have a harder life and they have a bigger struggle than this white scientist so they are more inherently sensitive to issues and even more empathetic to racial abuse.

If I was black and experienced racism I have already a better perception of racial issues and problems than a white person who has never experienced racism.

Deleted
    He's a sexist old fool.
    He might be a lot of things but he's no fool - I can guarantee you he's way more intelligent than you are, for example.

So... as a white male can I use the term 'privileged white female' when I want to refer to over-dramatic white women?
    Or is that me being white male privileged. I'm confused on if white males can say anything even if it's remotely offensive.

By the way, people aren't saying he should just be forgiven, just that it is blown out of proportion. He also probably isn't as apologetic (not sure how apologetic you can sound in text) because he thinks it's as stupid as the majority of people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

He radiates evil.
    I was going to make a joke but I fear being infarcted so best not.

so stupid its a damn joke, get off the the high horse... just gonna leave this here.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7534978.html
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

No he said to the bbc that his joke was honest and that he believed some of what he said that doesn't sound like much of an apology to me especially with so many already having a hard time in science because of centuries of misogyny.

I really dislike the argument that says he should be forgiven because of his contribution to science. He shouldn't be on those grounds. We've finally managed to address historical abuse cases against celebrities who were seen as untouchable - I don't believe anyone is above being reprimanded as necessary. But if he had properly apologised, I would have supported him.

If he'd apologised, and retracted his comment, I'd have supported him. I don't think we can have comments like this (even a 'joke' gone wrong, because the line between jokes and bullying can be a wavy one) accepted, especially by prominent field leaders in positions of power - however in his apology he didn't seem at all repentant.
    But he did apoligise and retract his comment....
    He didn't say his joke was honest and you said he did. He retracted it but said he did feel uncomfterable with women in the workplace. That's not offensive, that's a personal issue.

"He also called himself a "chauvinist pig," AFP reports. He's since resigned from his post at UCL, which was honorary and didn't carry a salary. He also apologized and called saying what he said "a very stupid thing to do.""

SOURCE

And yes, the Business Insider is a legitimate source. So you now have no choice but to support him as you claimed you would.
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

I guess it's just sad that you aren't allowed to make jokes that are in poor taste. Sure, the joke wasn't great and it wasn't funny, but why does poor humor warrant termination?

I get it though, professors speak for the university and when you are out in public, you're at the mercy of society.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the same principle: immunity for your actions due to the harm wrought being outweighed by the value of your scientific advancement. If we're going to be rational in applying this, rather than just making a bunch of really bitchy internet posts because we didn't get our way, we should apply it in a consistent manner.
    And do you think his punishment was consistent with his "crime?"

- - - Updated - - -

At least in the US, being white gives you privilege and being male gives you privilege. White women are privileged because they're white, but not because they're female.
    It may give you privilege, does not automatically give you privilege. Stop assuming the conditions and actions of every person will be similar because of their skin color.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

At least in the US, being white gives you privilege and being male gives you privilege. White women are privileged because they're white, but not because they're female.
    Can you define privilege for us? This guy certainly didn't have the privilege to say whatever he wanted or make a joke in poor taste. The question is, are women allowed to make similarly sexist jokes against men without being fired? I honestly don't know, but if they can make jokes and men can't....then who is privileged?

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    I guess it's just sad that you aren't allowed to make jokes that are in poor taste. Sure, the joke wasn't great and it wasn't funny, but why does poor humor warrant termination?

I get it though, professors speak for the university and when you are out in public, you're at the mercy of society.
    But any other job you'd get a written/verbal warning. Though due to media/social publication, it's blown out of the water.

But... that's people being racist towards white people - assuming they are all something due to skin color...

Let me test that theory by making kids with a woman, divorce her and see who gets to keep them.

15+ Year Old Account
    No he said to the bbc that his joke was honest and that he believed some of what he said that doesn't sound like much of an apology to me.
    Here's his apology:
    “It is true … I have fallen in love with people in the lab and people in the lab have fallen in love with me and it’s very disruptive to the science because it’s terribly important that in a lab people are on a level playing field.

“I found that these emotional entanglements made life very difficult. I’m really, really sorry I caused any offence, that’s awful. I certainly didn’t mean that. I just meant to be honest, actually.”
    And

“I’m very sorry that what I thought were light hearted ironic remarks were taken so seriously, and I’m very sorry if people took offence. I certainly did not mean to demean women, but rather be honest about my own shortcomings.”
    Oh no, the monster..

As for the "believing what some of what he said is true".. Well.
    Women do cry more than men.
    Women and men working together does naturally increase the occurrence of work-place romance.

He should apologize for the offense, the way he said it and the way it was received - as he did. But he should not be made to say that it's all baseless just to be forgiven.

If I was black and experienced racism I have already a better perception of racial issues and problems than a white person who has never experienced racism.
    Here you bring in skin colour without a reason.
    "If I was black and experience racism" yes you would recognise it better, but not because you were black but because you had experienced racism. Same for "white person who has never experienced racism". You wouldn't recognise it as well because you didn't experience it. It has nothing to do with skin colour.

I am white and I have experienced racism, where do I fit into your bad example?

Your example should have been "people who are black have a higher % chance of suffering from racism, which in turn causes black people to recognise racist environments or behaviour sooner". Yet you didn't, you had to bring in skin colour without it serving any point.