Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Well yeah but this isn't Ff7. It's ff7r. That's why I said these days. Only a handful of games handle side content now
    Only a handful? I'll just list games I played in the past months that have good side content.

-Persona 5 Royal
    -Persona 5 Scramble
    -Tokyo Mirage Sessions
    -Animal Crossing New Horizons(ok this is cheating because the game is side content lmao)
    -Atelier Ryza
    -Astral Chain
    -Luigi's Mansion 3
    -Fire Emblem Three Houses

More then a handful just in a span of months. If you're just riding hype trains from AAA game to AAA game ofc side content is generally meh because graphics and production value are prioritized over them. The only 2 studios that seem to be able to do both are Rockstar and CDPR but both have their own issues with pretty meh gameplay. Every game has to make sacrifices somewhere, when someone promises a perfect game Star Citizen happens and it never releases.

- - - Updated - - -

They notoriously rate games higher than they should be like pokemon games.
    Or not? Their reviews are generally in line with the consensus with only a few outliers per year. This is beside the point you tried to make a point how large budget games get easy 10s from IGN which isn't the case at all.

The back in my day is reference to games where it wasn't so formulaic. Modern square Enix games it's like watching a movie with bad acting. It's not subtle or feel natural it just follows a formula. That's why I said items at the start of the game not in the final chapter. Because only games like dark souls actually handle items in a creative interesting way these days. Not just in a chest before the last boss. Or a reward for killing 12 rats. It's an art form where as now there games feel more like watching a 12 hour movie. That is not as engaging as a good video game or a 2 hour well made film.
    I feel like we need to make a new Godwin's Law but instead of it being about Hitler just make it about Dark Souls and how it will inevitably be brought up in any gaming conversation that go's on for too long. Yawn.

And secret bosses are not hidden anymore because they don't want to waste budget on content people won't play so they make it obvious and easy to find
    They never where that hidden, if you explore the map and do all content you will find the super bosses in VII... the same as in XIII and XV the most recent FF games.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Only a handful? I'll just list games I played in the past months that have good side content.

-Persona 5 Royal
    -Persona 5 Scramble
    -Tokyo Mirage Sessions
    -Animal Crossing New Horizons(ok this is cheating because the game is side content lmao)
    -Atelier Ryza
    -Astral Chain
    -Luigi's Mansion 3
    -Fire Emblem Three Houses

More then a handful just in a span of months. If you're just riding hype trains from AAA game to AAA game ofc side content is generally meh because graphics and production value are prioritized over them. The only 2 studios that seem to be able to do both are Rockstar and CDPR but both have their own issues with pretty meh gameplay. Every game has to make sacrifices somewhere, when someone promises a perfect game Star Citizen happens and it never releases.
    I won't deny there's good examples of it coming out of Japan but square isn't one of them.

And people mention dark souls a lot because it has a passionate fanbase BECAUSE it was such a breath of fresh air in the copy paste world of gaming
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2020-04-07 at 11:35 PM.

I won't deny there's good examples of it coming out of Japan but square isn't one of them
    Side content in both KH3 and Lightning Returns was decent, admittedly KH3 needed DLC to make that the case but it still counts somewhat. Can't comment on VIIR myself until I play it and form my own opinion and XV had pretty shitty side content in general. I don't really see a pattern here. Also if we talk about some of the lesser hyped Square Enix franchises then Dragon Quest XI had great side content and Octopath Traveler is literally 60 hours of side content that is good with only a very loose main narrative.

5+ Year Old Account
    Well yeah but this isn't Ff7. It's ff7r. That's why I said these days. Only a handful of games handle side content now
    Which is a shame cause it's the same people who did the original. You'd think they would know how to do it.

The fans who clamored for a “remake” probably wanted a remaster... so expect people complaining that it’s different from the original.

Walmart will be open everywhere regardless as the are a grocer and games are $10 cheaper there to boot.
    True, forgot about walmarts too. Already ordered mine via bestbuy though so just have to wait. I may call them today and see if they got it early and if they did if they're selling it early.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Two, you're paying for it. This is a full AAA price game that is made up of...what, just part of Disc 1 of the original game? All because they're "expanding the story of Midgar" with quests to kill rats and whatever?
    to each their own, but I've watched a lot of different reviewers and the story of midgar and midgar itself is expanded on a lot more than just "kill some rats or whatever"

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    The fans who clamored for a “remake” probably wanted a remaster... so expect people complaining that it’s different from the original.
    Yes, proper wording matters otherwise the literal genie will fuck you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, for one, they don't always do a good job of making it "optional". I don't know in the case of this game, so I won't really say.

Two, you're paying for it. This is a full AAA price game that is made up of...what, just part of Disc 1 of the original game? All because they're "expanding the story of Midgar" with quests to kill rats and whatever?

Yeah, c'mon. I'm one of the biggest FFVII fanboys ever, honestly, and I probably still won't touch this until all the episodes are inevitably bundled together for $20 or something. I just can't stand this trend of applying MMO sensibilities about content and playtime to every game.
    I get that. And I understand where you are coming from. But there are plenty of great story moments as well in the expanded parts. Like all the backstory for Biggs and Jessie. Depiction of the damage after the first reactor mission. The hinted history between the Trio of Don Corneo. So it is definitely more than the original plus a few rat killing quests. It doesn't offer side content as good as the original, but there is plenty of meat on the main story.

Oh man it's funny how IGN is literally a meme for reviews when people disagree with it but suddenly they put an emphasis on killing rats side quest and we have people like Bovinity and Roberto acting like that is the only thing added to midgar. You might actually want to do more research before getting caught with egg on your face.

Oh man it's funny how IGN is literally a meme for reviews when people disagree with it but suddenly they put an emphasis on killing rats side quest and we have people like Bovinity and Roberto acting like that is the only thing added to midgar. You might actually want to do more research before getting caught with egg on your face.
    I would never use a review to reinforce my beliefs on the Internet. Certainly not one as reputable or prestigious as IGN. I do not appreciate such reckless slander of my character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright boys, I've never preordered once in my life but I'm doing it.

How the mighty have fallen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never trust reviews when it comes how good the game is tbh. However, I did watch some videos review about the length of the game and most of the players had at least 30 hours with doing some side quests (not all of them) which imo pretty decent for a Final Fantasy game really.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I never trust reviews when it comes how good the game is tbh. However, I did watch some videos review about the length of the game and most of the players had at least 30 hours with doing some side quests (not all of them) which imo pretty decent for a Final Fantasy game really.
    A few of the reviews are fairly aligned on the side quests thing but the main difference is the weight each review is giving that, some say it's a minor blip, others says it massively detracts from the experience. Doesn't really bother me to be honest, still intend to play it once the digital version unlocks.

What's good moving forward is all the main tech and systems are pretty much established which hopefully means in the "sequels" they've got more time and budget to invest in good quality world building and optional content.

10+ Year Old Account
    So little bit in, some thoughts.

Hated the demo, hated the combat, I wanted old school FF7.

Played the demo on my standard tv, big screen.

As always, when a new game comes out like this (think GTA, RDR2, basically not available on the PC), I move the PS4 to my gaming room, I am loving the combat on my smaller 4k monitor.

I just don't know how people can play games on such a large screen, it makes them shit. I'm not great with a controller since I barely play games with one these days, but on a 32", I am finding movement so much easier compared to the demo and combat fun. So far it seems you could auto attack your way through the game, but use tactics right and you decimate enemies.

Impressed, and the graphics are lovely. Music is great, but that's easy, just copy the original.

Still want the old school combat though

Phew. Started a fresh playthrough of the original two days ago, since it's been like a decade since I last played. Credits just now rolling with less then 2 hours to spare. One of my favorite games. So hyped for this remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I just don't know how people can play games on such a large screen, it makes them shit.
    Is your bigger TV not 4K? Because if so, there you go.

I have a 65'' 4K TV and it looked god-damned amazing on it, and so do plenty of other games that support 4K (or close to it) on PS4 Pro. I even go up to look closely at the pixels and it still looks incredible. Hell, even the 1080p games don't look bad, even if the lower resolution is obvious.

As for the automatic play, it seems "servicable" and can work, but it won't really be great. It seems to attack infrequently, so you're building up less meter. Beyond that it's not going to make great choices (at least it didn't during my playthrough) on stance swapping to maximize damage. I'd do it if I was just grinding while doing chores around the house or on my phone, but not for any serious play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Is your bigger TV not 4K? Because if so, there you go.

I have a 65'' 4K TV and it looked god-damned amazing on it, and so do plenty of other games that support 4K (or close to it) on PS4 Pro. I even go up to look closely at the pixels and it still looks incredible. Hell, even the 1080p games don't look bad, even if the lower resolution is obvious.

As for the automatic play, it seems "servicable" and can work, but it won't really be great. It seems to attack infrequently, so you're building up less meter. Beyond that it's not going to make great choices (at least it didn't during my playthrough) on stance swapping to maximize damage. I'd do it if I was just grinding while doing chores around the house or on my phone, but not for any serious play.
    That's not what I meant, I meant it's too much to look at and the controls felt all over the place for me.

Playing the demo on such a large TV, made it feel shit for me, but playing the actual game on my PC monitor just feels so much better.

Was the same for RDR2, hated it playing on my TV, moved to my monitor and it just felt so much better.

I understand this isn't the same for everyone.

Not tried classic/auto, but from the wording, it says you can attack as you please, so should be able to build it up? It also puts the game on easy, so fuck that anyway

I remember seeing complaints about Tifa's boobs, like wtf, any bigger would look stupid. She's perfect!
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2020-04-10 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    That's not what I meant, I meant it's too much to look at and the controls felt all over the place for me.

Playing the demo on such a large TV, made it feel shit for me, but playing the actual game on my PC monitor just feels so much better.

Was the same for RDR2, hated it playing on my TV, moved to my monitor and it just felt so much better.

I understand this isn't the same for everyone.

Not tried classic/auto, but from the wording, it says you can attack as you please, so should be able to build it up? It also puts the game on easy, so fuck that anyway

I remember seeing complaints about Tifa's boobs, like wtf, any bigger would look stupid. She's perfect!
    It's not the same for everyone because not everyone has a shitty TV.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the same for everyone because not everyone has a shitty TV.
    Ok, so you're hard of reading.

Not down to the quality of TV (It's 4k), it's the size. I find the controls "wonky" and the game, for me, plays far better on a smaller screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    It’s about to be go time boys! For us that got digital release at least
    ”I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me."-Sylvanas Windrunner