Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Can you give some examples? Not that I don't believe you, I just don't remember ever getting stuck on a storyline boss.
    First playthrough, back on my PSX when FF7 was first released, and me having never played a JRPG before...

Helicopter boss thing in the lifts escaping Shinra tower owned me a few times. Jenova Life also took me a while to beat. And that undead boss in Cosmo Canyon, the one that did funny faces. He became the bane of my life for a few days. Years later, now I know he can be almost one-shotted with a potion. Oh also Dyne took me a few goes...

I was a complete newbie to JPRG's and a grizzled beginner to Western RPG's back then. Now I know how to prepare for a boss, and work tactics. Yet I still miss the fun I had when I had no idea what I was doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    There's that one scorpion-ish boss I remember in mt.nibel (?)

That guy had me by the long hairs, but then again I was very young and probably low-leveled that time.
    Oh yes, this sod had me stuck for a couple of hours too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn the nostalgia! Gonna have to start up steam and play this game again!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyne View Post
    First playthrough, back on my PSX when FF7 was first released, and me having never played a JRPG before...

Helicopter boss thing in the lifts escaping Shinra tower owned me a few times. Jenova Life also took me a while to beat. And that undead boss in Cosmo Canyon, the one that did funny faces. He became the bane of my life for a few days. Years later, now I know he can be almost one-shotted with a potion. Oh also Dyne took me a few goes...

I was a complete newbie to JPRG's and a grizzled beginner to Western RPG's back then. Now I know how to prepare for a boss, and work tactics. Yet I still miss the fun I had when I had no idea what I was doing.
    7 was actually a perfect "JRPG for beginners". The difficulty was well tuned for someone who didn't really know what he was doing (and would still get punished a big time sometimes for that). While still offering some endgame crazy shit for people who wanted challenge.

Big problems were the few points where it happened between a save point and no way back... especially in those fights where you HAVE to use a specific character, that you could have left behind almost all the time since beginning.
    Oh, hi.

Can you give some examples? Not that I don't believe you, I just don't remember ever getting stuck on a storyline boss.
    There is a point of no return in the temple where you get the Black Materia. After you do everything needed there is a save point right before the final two boss's. The first boss is a snake in the wall and the 2nd is a dragon. If you are underleveled for this fight *and a few times I was" you will be forced to start the game over. There was no way to leave at all from that point.

It was littery a stright right from the save point to the boss room.

This is that fight

Really considering buying it for Ps4 lol I kinda want to play some FF7.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    There is a point of no return in the temple where you get the Black Materia. After you do everything needed there is a save point right before the final two boss's. The first boss is a snake in the wall and the 2nd is a dragon. If you are underleveled for this fight *and a few times I was" you will be forced to start the game over. There was no way to leave at all from that point.

This is that fight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49BlrQ_W5Iw
    Oh yeah also that one, perfect example of "no way back boss" in FF7. The nightmares he gave me, still remember beating him by just a really tiny tiny margin after hours of trying and not wanting to restart the whole game.
    Oh, hi.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Oh yeah also that one, perfect example of "no way back boss" in FF7. The nightmares he gave me, still remember beating him by just a really tiny tiny margin after hours of trying and not wanting to restart the whole game.
    Think I had 20-30 attemps on that asshole before nailing it. That feeling though, holy crap. Probably the reason I always play on max diffifulty these days, that amazing feeling of overcoming the impossible.

I don't know, I'm just not seeing it. I don't think any of those bosses are hard. When you're low level, you get the advantage of your limit breaks filling very quickly due to low HP and defense. In the elevator fight for example, you can have the weakest characters possible and literally pass your turns until your limits fill and you will win. Aeirth's limit break will out-heal the boss's damage and even Red XIII's limit break can hit the boss, because limit breaks have no range restriction.

Barret vs Dyne can be cheesed in a similar way. Just bring some healing items and don't use any materia that lowers Barret's strength or defensive stats and you can just rely on limit breaks and potions. I'm not sure what you mean by the fight with the Turks on top of the Shinra Bulding. Do you mean Cloud's 1v1 with Rufus? Winning that fight mainly comes down to targeting the add first. If you have proper gear and materia, you can easily just attack or magic spam your way through the fight. If you're really weak limit break cheese will carry you.

I legitimately have no comment on the Materia Keeper. I don't mean to sound elitist, but that boss has always been such a throw away fight for me, that I don't even remember what he does. I remember learning Trine being a little annoying...

And hard RPGs are fun! Honestly, Lost Odyssey's difficulty was one of the things I liked most about that game, and it fucking pushes the limit to difficulty in turn based combat. This is the second boss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1k9Z0QF9O0

Now, I'm not suggesting that FF7 go that far, but there has to be a middle ground between mashing circle to win and Lost Odyssey's bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

This is that fight

Really considering buying it for Ps4 lol I kinda want to play some FF7.
    I never had issues with that fight, but I do recall it being overtuned compared to other bosses around that point.

I had a moment where I killed him forgot about the dragon and was so underleveled the dragon one shot each of my charaters.

Back in the day I used a game shark and cheated. Then when I decided to play legit I forgot about this boss LOL. Got my ass kicked.

Here is a funny bit for ya tho that many didn't know. If lets say disk 1 was scrached really bad but yet you could get past the opening scene of the game you could then put in disk two and keep playing. I got a copy that was badly damaged. You can repeat this for disk 2 and disk 3 as well.

Seeing disk two cutscenes in disk one was funny tho.

- - - Updated - - -

I never had issues with that fight, but I do recall it being overtuned compared to other bosses around that point.
    I was so underleveled if I was able to kill him the dragon 1shot me lol.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

I had a moment where I killed him forgot about the dragon and was so underleveled the dragon one shot each of my charaters.

Back in the day I used a game shark and cheated. Then when I decided to play legit I forgot about this boss LOL. Got my ass kicked.

Here is a funny bit for ya tho that many didn't know. If lets say disk 1 was scrached really bad but yet you could get past the opening scene of the game you could then put in disk two and keep playing. I got a copy that was badly damaged. You can repeat this for disk 2 and disk 3 as well.

Seeing disk two cutscenes in disk one was funny tho.

- - - Updated - - -

I was so underleveled if I was able to kill him the dragon 1shot me lol.
    So, I'm doing some reading, and you actually fight the Red Dragon first, and after the Red Dragon fight enemies start spawning in that room, so if you can't beat the Demon's Gate, you can level up. Apparently they put this in specifically as a way to keep people from getting permanently stuck here.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw guys. https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantas...ake_will_be_a/

Called it, hybrid between real time and turn based. It's ATB based real time combat that allows you to control up to 3 party members at a time. It's less action based than Kingdom Hearts with a more tactical focus.

So about the whole thing about the episodes being at the size of full games.

This seems like a very good choice of words by Square to calm people down. There's no way way that a single episode would fill an entire Blu Ray disk. They just know they can sell more like that.

Here's the thing, FFXV releases first (hopefully). If the first episode of the remake is not as big as FFXV, then Square is full of shit.

Deleted
    7 was actually a perfect "JRPG for beginners". The difficulty was well tuned for someone who didn't really know what he was doing (and would still get punished a big time sometimes for that).
    I completely agree with you. It got me in to the whole JRPG thing. I had my arse handed to me a few times, yet it still taught me that games are not all about faceroll every boss, and sometimes you have to do some work (be it research, levelling or better tactics) to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    So about the whole thing about the episodes being at the size of full games.

This seems like a very good choice of words by Square to calm people down. There's no way way that a single episode would fill an entire Blu Ray disk. They just know they can sell more like that.

Here's the thing, FFXV releases first (hopefully). If the first episode of the remake is not as big as FFXV, then Square is full of shit.
    Forget about what Square said for a sec. Actually think back to playing FF7. Do you remember how disgustingly big some of those areas and backgrounds were? Do you remember how much content was in that damn game? Now scrap every texture, every model and every animation, rebuild it all from the ground up with modern graphics. How long do you think it would take to do that? I think I have a pretty decent guess.

Forget about what Square said for a sec. Actually think back to playing FF7. Do you remember how disgustingly big some of those areas and backgrounds were? Do you remember how much content was in that damn game? Now scrap every texture, every model and every animation, rebuild it all from the ground up with modern graphics. How long do you think it would take to do that? I think I have a pretty decent guess.
    It brings FFXV to mind tbh. I mean from what we've seen that game is going to be huge! Have you seen the map which is is like 10 times bigger than Witcher 3's map?

FF7-9 they were my all time favorite,I would like to see a FF9 or FF9-2 next.

So, I'm doing some reading, and you actually fight the Red Dragon first, and after the Red Dragon fight enemies start spawning in that room, so if you can't beat the Demon's Gate, you can level up. Apparently they put this in specifically as a way to keep people from getting permanently stuck here.

- - - Updated - - -

Called it, hybrid between real time and turn based. It's ATB based real time combat that allows you to control up to 3 party members at a time. It's less action based than Kingdom Hearts with a more tactical focus.
    I forgot the order so mybad. But from what I recall from the point of the save spot onward there is no monster spawns. Its littery going from save spot to a room to the boss room.

There was no way out or anything to grind on.

It brings FFXV to mind tbh. I mean from what we've seen that game is going to be huge! Have you seen the map which is is like 10 times bigger than Witcher 3's map?
    FFXV does seem like a hail mary for SE. They really need it to do well so hopefully they have thrown all the eggs in the basket on this one. I have my doubts over the combat but the game as a whole looks ALOT more promising than FF13's direction.

15+ Year Old Account

"We are trying to make a new action combat system that definitely demand no action technique, and let you consider your strategy during the combat."

A glimpse of hope through the darkness o.o
    Oh, hi.

No I haven't, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I have a much better idea of the map scale. You could have a map that is 10 trillion times the size of Witcher 3's map with 1/5th the content. It's all about the map scale and what you can actually do on that map.

Anyway, the original FF7 used 2d backgrounds with those strange 2.5d polygonal messes they called character models. This made it very easy to make colossally big areas that don't really seem all that big at a first glance. Like, you remember that room in the first Mako reactor that is really zoomed out and has the sort of elbow shaped staircase where you start at the top and have to run to the bottom? Have you ever really taken a hard look at the background of that room? It's fucking huge, like, stupidly huge. Just animating that room with modern graphics would probably take as much time as making like half a Call of Duty level. That's one tiny room out of hundreds, possibly thousands of rooms in FF7, and apparently they plan to add more content and areas to Midgar than the original!

My point, is there were only ever two options for an FF7 remake for anyone that bothered to think about the logistics side of things. Episodic content or not at all. The art assets are simply too huge. I'm willing to bet if there's no extreme setbacks in development, we'll get the final episode of FF7 sometime around 2025. If they didn't do it in an episode format, we'd be getting the whole game around that time, except not really because that's probably longer than the life cycle of one console generation and no company would ever commit to that.

Mark my words, this remake will start on PS4, but it will end on PS5. This will take a very very very long time to make. I'm glad I'll have something to play before I'm 30.

Well I still have my doubts. But I need more info. Hopefully they will gives us plenty next week at Jump Festa. The remake is going to be there.

The phrase "full sized games" is kinda misleading, I mean what is the metric for a full sized game these days and according to whom?