Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Most "new kids" are not interested in JRPG's period. Go to a local HS and ask how many give a shit about this game you might be lucky if you find a few that do, most would ask you wtf you're talking about they only play sports games, fortnite, CoD, GTA and Minecraft. Your comment about gaming growing in popularity is irrelevant because Square's sales across the FF franchise remain basically stagnant which most main line releases in the 7-10 mil sales range(only IX and XII being lower due to coming out on PS1/PS2s death bed) and none have yet to top FFVII. They have a stable and loyal fan base but it has not grown at all.

Also for the few actual "new kids" that get into JRPGs they likely played the game based on word of mouth because it is literally playable on every major platform.

Lastly who are you to look down on anyone? Serious what was that comment...
    So it's okay to only like 'Murica games, but it's not okay for me to look down on them for it?

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    So it's okay to only like 'Murica games, but it's not okay for me to look down on them for it?
    I can't believe I have to answer this question for you, but no it's not ok to look down on someone for the things they enjoy. Also bonus points GTA is made in Scotland, not America. This message brought to you by "The more you know"

But just to parry the derailing attempt I'm still waiting on the receipts for "majority of square fans never played FFVII".

I can't believe I have to answer this question for you, but no it's not ok to look down on someone for the things they enjoy.

But just to parry the derailing attempt I'm still waiting on the receipts for "majority of square fans never played FFVII".
    I said most Square Enix fans have not played FF7. Because they were Squaresoft back then. Again, today's gamers have not played a 20 year old game. Let me reiterate for you:
    You guys do realize that most of the Square Enix fanbase has never played the original?
    Not so outlandish now, is it? Please read before you reply.

I'm not sure I'd like the remake. Something was magic about the original. I'd rather play the original than a re-make anyway.

I said most Square Enix fans have not played FF7. Because they were Squaresoft back then. Again, today's gamers have not played a 20 year old game. Let me reiterate for you:

Not so outlandish now, is it? Please read before you reply.
    I read it and I still don't see any data, just some derailment attempt based on the fact Square merged with Enix. But just to give you another "the more you know" fact, Squaresoft was simply the american publishing branch. The company name was Square. You look down on others for playing "murican games" and yet you refer to a Japanese company by their American publishing name? The irony doesn't end.

Just for future reference Square and Enix merged in 2003, only 6 years after FFVII released. It's been nearly 17 years since the merger for us but you think it's somehow relevant? Let alone the fact Enix is only really known for Dragon Quest and that's already a JRPG fan base overlap that you think somehow created all these other fans that didn't play FFVII? Is that the weird fan fiction theory I'm seeing here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I'm not sure I'd like the remake. Something was magic about the original. I'd rather play the original than a re-make anyway.
    Have you played the original on a 4K tv bough? it’s rough. I don’t think any mods or shaders will help that horror show out.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Have you played the original on a 4K tv bough? it’s rough. I don’t think any mods or shaders will help that horror show out.
    I'll admit I haven't. You are most likely right about the look. Tis almost 23 years old!

You looking down on someone is like a chihuahua yapping in a pit bulls face.

15+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/gematsucom/statu...048937472?s=20 how has no one mentioned this yet

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You know, this is quite easy to prove. But on the other hand lets laugh at the irony that the person who posted "most square fans haven't played FFVII"
    I mean anecdotally, nearly everyone I know that plays Final Fantasy games that I've met most played 9 or 10 as their first. Hell my 100+ member FFXIV Free Company of pretty rabid FF fans, only a small fraction played the PS1 FFVII and most are looking forward to the Remake to play through the Story for the first time. Hell when you say Squaresoft to People nowadays you usually get a blank look unless you say Square-Enix, which is indication enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I mean anecdotally, nearly everyone I know that plays Final Fantasy games that I've met most played 9 or 10 as their first. Hell my 100+ member FFXIV Free Company of pretty rabid FF fans, only a small fraction played the PS1 FFVII and most are looking forward to the Remake to play through the Story for the first time. Hell when you say Squaresoft to People nowadays you usually get a blank look unless you say Square-Enix, which is indication enough.
    Barely anyone played IX in comparison to VII, we know this based off raw numbers alone so yea you only just proved anecdotal evidence should never be used, period.

Also why are you like the other dude obsessed with "squaresoft", it was literally a publishing name used only in the west by square and only for a limited time. The company name was Square, not squaresoft. They merged with Enix to become Square Enix.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-12-25 at 07:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    -demopic- how has no one mentioned this yet
    ehm it was literally mentioned on the last page
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post
    So there is a potential leak that the demo will be available very soon.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also why are you like the other dude obsessed with "squaresoft", it was literally a publishing name used only in the west by square and only for a limited time. The company name was Square, not squaresoft. They merged with Enix to become Square Enix.
    Because FFVII was published in the West by Squaresoft and People not recognising Squaresoft and only Square Enix generally shows they aren't part of the earlier PS1 Generation FF crowd.

Not really a hard thing to figure out. Also how is mentioning something pretty logical "obsessed"? Hyperbole much there kiddo?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know many people who want FF7 but haven't played the original, anecdotes are dumb though, so I don't take that as indicative of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Because FFVII was published in the West by Squaresoft and People not recognising Squaresoft and only Square Enix generally shows they aren't part of the earlier PS1 Generation FF crowd.

Not really a hard thing to figure out. Also how is mentioning something pretty logical "obsessed"? Hyperbole much there kiddo?
    Dude nobody calls them squaresoft or squareenix what are you even on about. People mostly just call them square. They called them square in the PS1 era and they call them that now even long past the merger. This hipster bullshit of "I remember when they where called squaresoft I'm an OG!" has to be the most ridiculous take in this thread, especially since it was a brand name limited to only part of the world.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-12-25 at 08:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stayed out of any spoilers / yoube / etc, as I usually do for games I plan to play (re-play in this case).
    One question: What does "Remake" means? Is it a Remake of the Graphics only? Or is the original story / game mechanics / etc altered?

Quote Originally Posted by Fid View Post
    I stayed out of any spoilers / yoube / etc, as I usually do for games I plan to play (re-play in this case).
    One question: What does "Remake" means? Is it a Remake of the Graphics only? Or is the original story / game mechanics / etc altered?
    We don't know how different it will be exactly, but we do know it should be following the original story to some degree. There are definitely changes, though. The game mechanics are quite different since it is no longer turn-based. The team who made the combat for Kingdom Hearts 2 worked on this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fid View Post
    Many changes. It is an action rpg but you can slow down time to do menu things and use materia. Think like V.A.T.S from Fallout. The story seems to be expanded greatly. This entire game is set in Midgar, and I wager we will be able to explore most if not all of the city at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, as a die-hard fan who ranks the original as one of, if not THE, best game of all time, I'm excited. Any fan of the originals should be.

You guys do realize that most of the Square Enix fanbase has never played the original? I'm going to be feeling superior to all these kids hyped for "the new Final Fantasy" when I played it long before it was cool.
    One of the most popular games of all time. Are you really trying to portray yourself as a hipster because you played it?

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Many changes. It is an action rpg but you can slow down time to do menu things and use materia. Think like V.A.T.S from Fallout. The story seems to be expanded greatly. This entire game is set in Midgar, and I wager we will be able to explore most if not all of the city at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, as a die-hard fan who ranks the original as one of, if not THE, best game of all time, I'm excited. Any fan of the originals should be.
    They could have done all this in one game tho. But they decided to milk the hype and do 3 games instead. Not sure if I wanna support this.