Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Eh, tbh the problem isn't with the combat, it's with the camera. If you could zoom out a bit, the game out be fine. I'm hoping that'll be fixed in the retail version...
    Agreed. I don't mind the new combat system, I'm actually a pretty big fan of it overall - good mash-up of some action combat mechanics, some "real-time pause" stuff, and I'm a BIG fan that they added in the stagger meter from XIII, plus I like their changes to how materia/items/special attacks are used with the meter. But with enemies being able to go all around you the zoomed in camera makes it difficult to keep track of where enemies and allies are on the battlefield at a glance.

10+ Year Old Account
    enjoyed the demo, ready for more. combat system is alright, takes some getting used to.

only thing i did not enjoy, was how cringe the dialogue was delivered. typical over'acting' by Barret especially. it just came across as very unnatural. besides that, the voices weren't actually in the environment, felt out of place somehow. like they were talking with each other during a family visit sitting in a living room, while the characters are standing in a MASSIVE factory hall.

i was pleasantly surprised by how they added new story elements, though. perhaps the heidegger/shinra pres thing was always meant to be interpreted this way, but i never understood it as such.
    This is a signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Played it twice now, once on classic and once on normal and normal certainly has a lot more feel to it. Classic mode is gonna be the easy mode for sure. Love this so far, looking to be a massive game for me this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mteq View Post
    enjoyed the demo, ready for more. combat system is alright, takes some getting used to.

only thing i did not enjoy, was how cringe the dialogue was delivered. typical over'acting' by Barret especially. it just came across as very unnatural. besides that, the voices weren't actually in the environment, felt out of place somehow. like they were talking with each other during a family visit sitting in a living room, while the characters are standing in a MASSIVE factory hall.

i was pleasantly surprised by how they added new story elements, though. perhaps the heidegger/shinra pres thing was always meant to be interpreted this way, but i never understood it as such.
    Yeah there's something weird about Barret. Although he was always screaming in the original as well, it's just different when voiced. Hope he calms down a bit later on. Cloud I actually like, and what I've seen of Aerith and Tifa has left me optimistic.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I remember,there was a line from Jessie, after the reactor blows, where she's watching the news and is surprised at how large the explosion is. She puts it down to her having messed up, making the bomb... But with the remake, we now know better!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    It was nice to visibily see the impact of the explosion, I know its discussed in the OG but it had a good visual impact too.

That's why I don't like dubs, japenese animation and english voice acting rarely goes well together and I hope I can use Japanese voices at release... though his exposition and weird stances in the elevator were a bit too much even on animation side.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    From what I remember,there was a line from Jessie, after the reactor blows, where she's watching the news and is surprised at how large the explosion is. She puts it down to her having messed up, making the bomb... But with the remake, we now know better!
    honestly, that they added that was a huge help for me... I tend to have trouble following things in longer stories and forget stuff. I remember her saying that it was something weird about it but I never associated that with something more than just a mistake. Maybe it was the point and now it's more on the nose. I know Shinra make Avalanche a scapegoat but that's when they bring down the entire Sector X.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    That's why I don't like dubs, japenese animation and english voice acting rarely goes well together and I hope I can use Japanese voices at release... though his exposition and weird stances in the elevator were a bit too much even on animation side.
    not sure if i'd go that far myself. Japanese voice acting tend to sound very high pitch (not all, but most) and my eardrums can't handle that. most of it wasn't that bad, but the scene in the elevator was EXACTLY what i was referring to. if this is an indicator, i'll be expecting a LOT of cringe should they eventually reach corel/gold saucer. then again, that would most likely be game/episode two, so i hope they'll take some feedback into consideration and make the animations more natural.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember her saying that it was something weird about it but I never associated that with something more than just a mistake.
    Same, I remember that line, but being a kid, I didn't think there was any depth to it, beyond "Oops, Jessie goofed the bomb". Given the new cutscene, and the clip from the trailer with President Shinra linking AVALANCHE to Wutai Terrorists, it looks like they weren't kidding, when they said they were expanding the story.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    not sure if i'd go that far myself. Japanese voice acting tend to sound very high pitch (not all, but most) and my eardrums can't handle that. most of it wasn't that bad, but the scene in the elevator was EXACTLY what i was referring to. if this is an indicator, i'll be expecting a LOT of cringe should they eventually reach corel/gold saucer. then again, that would most likely be game/episode two, so i hope they'll take some feedback into consideration and make the animations more natural.
    High pitch is one thing, but that fucking weird "Uh, oh, hnnnnng" moaning they do every time they do something as simple as turn their head is just the worst for me.

I tend to find english dubs to be bland, very little range in and they often only try to sound raspy and tough regardless of situation which seemed waaaaay off on Barret in the demo in conjuction with the animation. Japanese voice acting tends to be more emotive and have a wider range which works better with the animation imo.

I tend to find english dubs to be bland, very little range in and they often only try to sound raspy and tough regardless of situation which seemed waaaaay off on Barret in the demo in conjuction with the animation. Japanese voice acting tends to be more emotive and have a wider range which works better with the animation imo.
    Yes I enjoy screaming cats in heat as much as the next person....
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    Yes I enjoy screaming cats in heat as much as the next person....
    not sure what purpose this comment even serve. Can't recall hearing anything of the sort... is it bad people prefer different things, or what is the deal?

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure what purpose this comment even serve. Can't recall hearing anything of the sort... is it bad people prefer different things, or what is the deal?
    What they're saying is they don't enjoy the exaggerated, screeching tone that Japanese voice acting tends to sound like, which I agree with as well. They just said it in a far less eloquent way.

10+ Year Old Account
    nope, you are correct. to each their own. i hope that they allow japanese with subs so you can play it the way you want

10+ Year Old Account
    My problem with foreign voices is that I can't pay attention to the subs and the action when they're talking during combat, so i miss out on what they're saying most of the times, unless the game is turn based or just so easy it doesn't require you to pay any attention to the combat which is just no no.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    I wonder how many people would figure out how to beat ruby or emerald weapon without looking up anything whatsoever.
    I actually beat Ruby Weapon when I was a kid via sheer luck. My Vincent was in LB and i got lucky 7777's and he just kept attacking until it died, but then the playstation crashed when he died he just stayed red and made that shwwwwwwwwwwww sound in perpetuity. Still counts though

Emerald Weapon I actually really struggled with. I had no idea about the UW materia at the time, and I kept dying to Air Tam Storm. In one of my attempts I noticed it did 8888 damage instead of 9999 and I thought it was maybe because I was in the back row instead of front, but as I looked deeper I noticed it was damage attached to # of materia equipped. Then at that point it was pretty easy to minimize the effect of that. I still struggled to kill it before the 20 min mark, but I could survive it's attacks pretty easily.

Mind you I was 12 at the time. I don't think I had a PC/internet until 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    SE generally doesn't suffer from that too much, at least not with their non-ports. Hell even their XIV patches with NO PTR testing have less bugs then WoW patches with months of ptr testing.
    To be fair FF14 has about 1/6 the complexity of WoW. For better or worse. Not excusing WoW, I'm not even subbed, but honestly with how template driven and bare bones FF14 is I'd be incredibly surprised if there were bugs. I remember when Eureka launched it looked like they didn't even playtest it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    What they're saying is they don't enjoy the exaggerated, screeching tone that Japanese voice acting tends to sound like, which I agree with as well. They just said it in a far less eloquent way.
    I get that... Was merely making fun of being obtuse because it wasn't a comment that invites to anything constructive since it was assuming the stance that I for some reason would enjoy screeching cats. As I said, I haven't heard any of the sort.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    My problem with foreign voices is that I can't pay attention to the subs and the action when they're talking during combat, so i miss out on what they're saying most of the times, unless the game is turn based or just so easy it doesn't require you to pay any attention to the combat which is just no no.
    Think I've just gotten used to it
    I tend to use subs even when it's in English anyway since there is fancy idea of making you not able to hear either trough volume or mumbling. Then you turn up tee volume and action happens and suddenly your windows are blown out. Bugs the shit out of me mostly in movies and series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finished the demo yesterday. My biggest gripe with it is the camera and forcing the active combat gimmick down our throats. Not a fan at all since I can't keep tabs on all enemies and can't prepare to what they're going to be doing.

Also the english dub, like @thilicen mentioned, is pretty spotty during the action/running sequences. All those "grunts" and gasps really kill it for me.

Besides these 2 things, the nostalgia shot is 100% real. Pre-ordered it long ago and this just cemented it for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Played it through last night. Very much enjoyed it. Seems like a great buy, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the length of the game. I get they added a good amount of stuff for the Midgar opening chapter, but enough to warrant a full game and the eventual 18-30 month wait until the next installment?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colmadero View Post
    Finished the demo yesterday. My biggest gripe with it is the camera and forcing the active combat gimmick down our throats. Not a fan at all since I can't keep tabs on all enemies and can't prepare to what they're going to be doing.
    This too was a gripe of mine.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    So, they seem to be changing the story quite a bit.

Looks like the AVALANCHE bomb in the reactor didn't destroy it, and President Shinra instead ordered it to self-destruct. That change kind of works out good. I mean, it didn't really seem like AVALACHE style to hurt innocent people, like that massive reactor explosion certainly did, and it is really REALLY more up President Shinra's style to blow up his own people to scapegoat AVALANCE.