Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Yep...humanity is lost i tell you.
    Gamers nowadays are trained to complain and only see flaws.

A possible reason why is because we are gamers and we are constantly overthinking things.
    We are trained to see flaws.
    We are godamn machines at it.

I think we grew to be a little bit despicable in that regard.
    Maybe we need to appreciate more the good things and try to forget the bad things once in a while.

Im not saying im a superior being. I know full well im also victim of this...i complain on MMO-C everyday after all...
    But maybe...us gamers need to smell the flowers and appreciate more the good things and try to forget the flaws we are so much trained to see?
    I enjoyed 15. Had some issues, but I usually have some issues with every game I play, it just comes down to if o enjoy it or not.
    I played 15 without the “it plays itself” issues everyone else did and it actually made the combat fun. Having it in there in the 1st place can cause problems as most people would tend to use it. Hell, I’ll admit it flat out that I didn’t even know about doing it until at least 1/2 way thru, but I still stuck to not doing it.
    The person you replied to pointed out flaws, but to the good of those things:
    The combat is not bad unless you play easy mode with the “plays itself issue” people talk about.
    The camping scenes were actually pretty touching moments. Who cares if they include product placement, like people have never seen a Coke or Pepsi product in a scene of a movie ever.
    I never downloaded anything, so no idea how they tried to fix the story, but for what we got I enjoyed the Noctis/Stella story. It still conveyed they have a background with each other, it showed they are both doing what’s right for their people and kingdom, and ends in a pretty bittersweet moment.
    I won’t say it’s an amazing game, but I enjoyed it overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    I enjoyed 15. Had some issues, but I usually have some issues with every game I play, it just comes down to if o enjoy it or not.
    I played 15 without the “it plays itself” issues everyone else did and it actually made the combat fun. Having it in there in the 1st place can cause problems as most people would tend to use it. Hell, I’ll admit it flat out that I didn’t even know about doing it until at least 1/2 way thru, but I still stuck to not doing it.
    The person you replied to pointed out flaws, but to the good of those things:
    The combat is not bad unless you play easy mode with the “plays itself issue” people talk about.
    The camping scenes were actually pretty touching moments. Who cares if they include product placement, like people have never seen a Coke or Pepsi product in a scene of a movie ever.
    I never downloaded anything, so no idea how they tried to fix the story, but for what we got I enjoyed the Noctis/Stella story. It still conveyed they have a background with each other, it showed they are both doing what’s right for their people and kingdom, and ends in a pretty bittersweet moment.
    I won’t say it’s an amazing game, but I enjoyed it overall.
    Thanks for the reply
    I have no idea how to turn off the part of my brain that is constantly telling me the flaws.
    And the worst part is that when you see them...you cant quite scratch them off your brain...and you constantly think about them...and possibly make you lose interest in things.

Sure, some thing are unbearable and impossible for me to not feel frustration

But this second time im playing XV really gave me some perspective on things.
    And the video of the guy saying FF VIIR has more downtime than uptime and should have cut several parts to only enjoy the juice...crazy talk...really makes you think about things.
    Or maybe this pandemic is making everyone a bit loopy. (i dont leave my house in 2 months+ counting)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    Jrpgs in general were all like this back in the glory days. And now, the spirit is lost.
    Seriously, though. A lot of those "Side Quests" gave GREAT rewards that very much needed for the game.

Want the best summon in FF7? Get breeding/racing your Chocobo.
    Want your ultimate limit break? I hope you like Gold Saucer...

Want to get Wakka's ultimate Weapon? Better get your Blitzball team working then!

People act like side quests and minigames are useless filler, but a LOT of high end rewards are locked behind them, especially in FF games.

That said...

if you breed more than 1 golden chocobo, you're mental!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Seriously, though. A lot of those "Side Quests" gave GREAT rewards that very much needed for the game.

Want to get Wakka's ultimate Weapon? Better get your Blitzball team working then!

People act like side quests and minigames are useless filler, but a LOT of high end rewards are locked behind them, especially in FF games.

That said...

I bred 3 and did a lot of savescumming when I was a kid cause I wanted perfect stats on my little shits. I didn't even know what genetics was, but my 12 year old self was basically Darwin or Mendel at the time.

Tldr ff7 taught me advanced genetics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    tldr ff7 taught me advanced genetics.
    Haha, I guess that's fair enough then.

I really hope they expand on the breeding/racing a LOT in 7R.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

That said...

Back in 1997, when I was 13 and didn't have the internet, somewhere I caught a rumor that there was possibly a chocobo better than gold. It was supposedly able to go underwater and there was a hidden weapon in the marshes where the big snake was outside of Midgar. That's why I had several gold chocobos. Regardless of how naive 13 year olds are, I enjoyed the game and it's dumb to talk shit about people playing a game they enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Back in 1997, when I was 13 and didn't have the internet, somewhere I caught a rumor that there was possibly a chocobo better than gold. It was supposedly able to go underwater and there was a hidden weapon in the marshes where the big snake was outside of Midgar. That's why I had several gold chocobos. Regardless of how naive 13 year olds are, I enjoyed the game and it's dumb to talk shit about people playing a game they enjoy.
    Well, there was the black chocobo.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Well, there was the black chocobo.
    Black chocobo came before gold.

Haha, I guess that's fair enough then.

I really hope they expand on the breeding/racing a LOT in 7R.
    As long as they make the racing more fun like they did with the bike in midgar. Thing is even the bike thing gets tedious if we have to race so much. Breeding part can be made fun if you have to learn and combine and find the right breed etc etc... the racing part not so much.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Or just beat Emerald without KotR and get the master materia.
    ....Chocobos are generally easier than Emerald...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Back in 1997, when I was 13 and didn't have the internet, somewhere I caught a rumor that there was possibly a chocobo better than gold.
    I heard it was the RED Chocobo, and it let you fly, higher than the Highwind. Then, once you were up there, there was an island with a secret boss on.

Man, we were dumb as shit back then XD

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    To be honest, I really miss being that way.

Back when I was young and didn't really think of a game as a collection of bits and bytes created by people, but something with boundless potential where anything could be possible. (Of course, deep down I knew that they were just bits and bytes. I was programming myself by the time I was a teenager. But I still had that sense of "wonder".)

It was fun trading tall tales with friends about this thing or that thing that happened in the latest game that we were all crazy about. Before my brain unconsciously analyzed every detail of every game to the point that even a new game could feel "old" due to all the elements and concepts that are all too familiar now.
    I agree and relate with your sentiment.
    I will start today my attempt to try and see things without overthinking them and constantly trying to find flaws every step i make.
    An attempt to sit back and enjoy more the things for what they are and not for what they are not.
    To instead of becoming obsessed with the flaws, try and be more positive about things.
    Heck...maybe even try and become obsessed with the positives
    I have no idea if is possible...but ill try starting today.

I heard it was the RED Chocobo, and it let you fly, higher than the Highwind. Then, once you were up there, there was an island with a secret boss on.

Sounds about right, haha.

If you had this rumour prior to 9s release then you should find this person somehow and ask them how they came up with Osma.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest difference I have noticed in FF games from old to new is that the old FF games used to be long games with some CG scenes added in. The newer games feel like long CG movies with some gameplay added in. I think this is what leads to a feeling of the games feeling shorter even with the same play length because your not actually playing 40 hours, your watching 30 hours and playing 10.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silversorrow View Post
    The biggest difference I have noticed in FF games from old to new is that the old FF games used to be long games with some CG scenes added in. The newer games feel like long CG movies with some gameplay added in. I think this is what leads to a feeling of the games feeling shorter even with the same play length because your not actually playing 40 hours, your watching 30 hours and playing 10.
    This, I can agree with.

There's also all the slow-walking sections and such that are simply there to mask loading times while you hold one direction, which have become a core part of game design in AAA games these days, really hope that goes away with next-gen and their SSDs.

To a degree, but we're still a long way from MGS4 levels of CGI saturations.

Also depends what we define gameplay as really. There were times I felt FF7 really could have cut down on holding up the player with unnecessary bullshit (looking at you CPR mechanics in Junon).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    If you had this rumour prior to 9s release then you should find this person somehow and ask them how they came up with Osma.
    Hahah yup! You have to wonder... Did those rumours possibly fuel the ideas for 9?

Both types of games have their problems and positives, you just need to appreciate it or play only what you prefer
    You cant have the best of both worlds though. A game is either linear or open ended. It cant be both.

Open Ended Simulation

Upsides
    -Possible immersion about the simulation of freedom
    -Exploration
    -Hidden treasures (underwhelming when is just a potion and very rewarding when is a good item)
    -You have the power to choose when you want to do what (farm, explore, story, minigames...you choose when)
    Downsides
    -Is impossible to recreate true freedom and complete randomness of the real world
    -A lot of time spent walking

Linear Gameplay

Upsides
    -Is a better way to tell a story
    -Easier
    -Good pacing
    -Sit back, relax and enjoy the world building
    -Not much time spent walking on deserted areas
    Downsides
    -Its not a simulation of an open world...but you bought this game...so instead of being unhappy with what you dont have...be happy for what you have right in front of you

I dont think is possible to create a game with BOTH.
    Either a game is 1 thing or is the other.

Im sorry if im just babbling.
    And this is not an attack to you. Just random conversation.
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2020-04-25 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    This, I can agree with.

There's also all the slow-walking sections and such that are simply there to mask loading times while you hold one direction, which have become a core part of game design in AAA games these days, really hope that goes away with next-gen and their SSDs.
    It will go away with next gen only games but expect part 2 to be cross gen at this point so still gonna have that crap.