Poll: Is Golf a sport?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I can understand the athletics argument since you don't need to be an athlete to compete necessarily, but if you guys don't think the top pro golfers are athletes just compare the likes of Tiger Woods or Rory Mcilroy when they started playing to them in their prime. It may not be an athletic sport in itself, but they are absolutely athletes. They train to be in peak physical condition for the sport they play.

As for whether it's a sport? It is by definition a sport, there is no denying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, just like this is a sport too!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Deleted
    Everything, where you compete against others, is a sport in my eyes.. Chess/petanque/Cliff Diving etc.

I agree, that they are not all athletes, but thats a different discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    By definition yeah, it is. Are golfers athletes? Eh.... not really.

Is golf fun to watch? Nope. Is it a waste of space? Oh hell yeah.

Monopoly is a whole lot more exciting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    By definition yeah, it is. Are Golfers athletes? Nope.

Is gold fun to watch? Nope. Is it a waste of space? Oh hell yeah.

Monopoly is a whole lot more exciting.
    Except the part abut the monopoly guys IRL loving ball in a cup: outdoor edition so much better. There's a reason those courses have hefty membership fees.

Hehe. Member.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    No.

Sports are usually competitive physical activity which aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing entertainment to participants and spectators.

There is damn little physical activity involved in golf (basically walking slowly and swinging a club), and it certainly doesn't provide entertainment to spectators.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    No.

Sports are usually competitive physical activity which aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing entertainment to participants and spectators.

There is damn little physical activity involved in golf (basically walking slowly and swinging a club), and it certainly doesn't provide entertainment to spectators.
    I wonder if I should bring up NASCAR... should I bring up NASCAR? I think I should bring up NASCAR. What do you guys thing? NASCAR or not to NASCAR? Cause, like that's a question and stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    I consider it a sport, because like all other sports, they're meaningless physical activity with no point other than distraction.

As such, it does so gracefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    I consider it a sport, because like all other sports, they're meaningless physical activity with no point other than distraction.

As such, it does so gracefully.
    You should drink more beer.

Yes its a sport !

15+ Year Old Account
    No, Nascar is also not a sport, neither is Dressage, Poker, Gymnastics, Synchronized Swimming or Cheerleading.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

For people saying they can't be athletes because they aren't in good physical shape.

I present you NFL players that are fat fucks. I guess NFL isn't a sport either.

of course it's a sport, just check the dictionary definition

sport - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

out of interest would you count archery as a sport? it's been a long term debate between me and my friends

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Is it a sport? Yes I think so
    Is it fun to watch? Hell no
    Personally I think any sport involving a stick/bat/club is boring. Hockey, baseball, golf, cricket etc.
    Golf is a sport of patience, watching it is as difficult as playing it. I can understand why people don't like it, it certainly isn't for everyone. My dad watched and played a lot of golf when I was growing up, once I got older I grew an appreciation for it and these days I actually like playing it. I think a love for a certain sport all depends on your upbringing to be honest.

I myself like golf. While I am not a die hard fan, I have been making attempts to watch it more frequently and have been playing a fair bit this year. It is a challenging sport to even be good at, being great means devotion from a young age like most professionals. If you just want to go out and play every few weekends by yourself or with some friends, you certainly don't have to dedicate your life to it. Taking some lessons and getting all the principle mechanics down is enough to get you by, the rest is just repetition if you want to become a decent player. They say the average pro golfer will hit somewhere around 200 balls at the driving range for every shot they make on a course. Golf takes a lot of repetition to just get a feel for a good swing, all the nuances of a swing that allow you to control a ball take years of practice to do.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post

For people saying they can't be athletes because they aren't in good physical shape.

Um what? That does not mean shit, look at their fucking muscles, fucking huge. They don't give a shit how fat they are, they are just trying to bulk you muscle and weight.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    [IMG]http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/PJ-BK010_FATJER_G_20121003001607.jpg[IMG]

Those guys aren't athletes by my definition but it's not like just because they're fat that they aren't in good physical shape. Their job is literally to be strong enough to stop the people in front of them trying to charge at their teammate and hold them in place. You think any fatso rolling out of McDonalds could do their jobs? No fucking way.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Those guys aren't athletes by my definition but it's not like just because they're fat that they aren't in good physical shape. Their job is literally to be strong enough to stop the people in front of them trying to charge at their teammate and hold them in place. You think any fatso rolling out of McDonalds could do their jobs? No fucking way.
    You think any Fatso rolling out of Mcdonalds can also win a Pro-tour? Of course not, Golfers train an absolute fuckton. My friends dad played Semi-pro in Australia and he said if he missed even a week or two of playing his game went too shit until he trained again.

People greatly under-estimate the difference between randoms that play Golf recreationally and Masters. It would be like comparing Guys playing NFL in their back yard too NFL stars.

Yes, I do think that golf it's a sport. I would like to try it once.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    After having a discussion/argument with some mates on this topic I wondered what the general feeling about this was.

I'm in the 'no' it isn't camp. I acknowledge it takes years of practise, but i'm not convinced on the skill or athletic part of the game. I put it in there with Darts, Pool and Snooker etc.

What do you think?
    I think this is not really a matter of opinion. It is a question of fact. I really wish that people would learn the difference.

Golf IS a sport. So too are Darts, Pool and Snooker.

You may wish to classify it as some class of sport, but that is a different discussion.

Apparently, LoL players that play in tournaments are considered Athletes now. I don't know about you guys, but I refuse to call someone that sits on their ass all day playing video games an 'athlete' (even if it's still really hard work to get that good). As for the OP - Well if you can have e-sports then I guess golf is a sport too.