View Poll Results: Is Horse Racing a sport?

Voters
17. This poll is closed
  • Yes

9 52.94%
  • No

8 47.06%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you consider Horse racing a sport?

Sport is a form of competitive physical activity, but does it extend to animals? There is little the jockey has to do from a physical standpoint, other than to be little to begin with, stay in the saddle etc. and otherwise it has about as much skill as some video games. There is probably some communication with the animal that goes on but that doesn't qualify it as a sport, imo.

7+ Year Old Account
    No and I can say it in Spanish too, no.
    When humans cease doing the actual work/activity its no longer sports. See NASCAR as well

Deleted
    I think the word sports have lost its original meaning long ago. Today it can be used for anything competitive, see motorsports, esports and horce racing.

Not really, because the horses are doing most of the work (and when you win a trophy or something it should actually belong with the horse lol). But there's no doubt that it requires some physical training to remain on the horses saddle and try to control him, something I sure as hell can't.

Pretty much anything can be called a ''sport'' these days so there's little point saying ''that no real sport!''.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Not really, because the horses are doing most of the work (and when you win a trophy or something it should actually belong with the horse lol). But there's no doubt that it requires some physical training to remain on the horses saddle and try to control him, something I sure as hell can't.
    Agreed, but it's always the Horse who people remember. Nobody really cares that the same jockey who won the triple crown this year almost won it last year, etc. The focus on the horses is what makes it a non-sport to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Norjak View Post
    There is little the jockey has to do from a physical standpoint, other than to be little to begin with, stay in the saddle etc. and otherwise it has about as much skill as some video games.
    Tell that to Victor Espinoza and whatever the horse's name was that won the first triple crown in 38 years.

No, I don't consider horse racing to be a sport. It's a race.

Quote Originally Posted by Norjak View Post
    Agreed, but it's always the Horse who people remember. Nobody really cares that the same jockey who won the triple crown this year almost won it last year, etc. The focus on the horses is what makes it a non-sport to me.
    I don't even know the name of the horse that won it this year. No, i don't consider it a sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Of course its a sport.

sport - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

As for the jockey doing very little, you must be joking. The amount of time and effort training horses, the horses and jockeys strict diets and regimes + individual skill.
    I mean AP McCoy is a household name.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    No, I don't consider horse racing to be a sport. It's a race.
    I'd also drop the word sport, and use race. I don't even think some track & field events are sports, where the competition is stripped down to which person is faster.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    I'd also drop the word sport, and use race. I don't even think some track & field events are sports, where the competition is stripped down to which person is faster.
    I give those way more credit then horse racing. At least they involve a human performing the event. I agree that horse racing is a form of entrainment, but that's about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    All the people here saying horse racing/riding is not a sport have not spent a single second on horseback.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. It's an athletic competition.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    No and I can say it in Spanish too, no.
    When humans cease doing the actual work/activity its no longer sports. See NASCAR as well
    Are you saying that Stock Car Racing doesn't take skill?
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Horse racing? Yes. Darts? No.

*grabs popcorn*

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it's a sport. The jockey makes as massive difference in horse racing. Anyone who even knows a small amount about horse racing knows that. Additionally, like a crew in car racing matters, trainers matter as well. It's not just riding a horse in a circle lol. Do a little research and look up Bill Shoemaker, John Velasquez, Victor Espinoza, etc.

Generally in most things (and this was a good example), trying to make a conclusion without knowing anything about a topic isn't going to reach a correct answer very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Are you saying that Stock Car Racing doesn't take skill?
    people who dont think auto racing is a sport are ignorant is all. and i mean ignorant in the nicest, "they just dont understand" way

If you've never been in an actual racecar you have no idea of what physical endurance, mental stamina/strain, and athleticism it takes to drive a car at speed. It is nothing like driving your car to work.

Same goes with horse racing/riding. its a sport for both the horses and the jockey. riding a horse is very physically demanding and requires a lot of skill and practice to on a competitive level.

you dont have to agree with me, but as someone who races cars and grew up with horses I actually know what I'm talking about.

As a former jockey, "There is little the jockey has to do from a physical standpoint, other than to be little to begin with, stay in the saddle etc. and otherwise it has about as much skill as some video games."

LOL. Please, tell me more about your extensive background in horse racing. Call it whatever you want, sport, race, I don't give a shit, but don't try and tell me the work wasn't extremely demanding.

Wanna know why it looks so simple? Cause we worked our asses off to get to that point.
    Last edited by Bathory; 2015-07-24 at 06:25 PM.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    As a former jockey, "There is little the jockey has to do from a physical standpoint, other than to be little to begin with, stay in the saddle etc. and otherwise it has about as much skill as some video games."

LOL. Please, tell me more about your extensive background in horse racing. Call it whatever you want, sport, race, I don't give a shit, but don't try and tell me the work wasn't extremely demanding.
    hahhaha someone please please argue with him

If you can bet on it, it's a sport.