Poll: Would you want this?

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why do you guys think genius can't happen through discovery and happy accidents? If you want innovation you gotta let people be free to play with the IP. Keeping it locked down for generations because muh profits is just sad. At some point it should become public property to everyone's benefit. It can become so much more so much faster if you let open source happen after X years with any IP.

Tons of fanfic exist and some of it even as great as the original franchises if not better, that will never be experienced by the majority simply because it will never move beyond it's original text based media to the big stage. Inhibiting creativity serves only the few and the trolls that make it their mission to take advantage of innovators.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    as long as the player doesn't work with blizzard to provide some new assets, music, or quality content I don't see any assumption, and at this point anyway it would not be user made content, but official content
    which games, and also which genre are you referring to moba again ?
    it's not that I don't like playing non official content, it can be fun, but I think that since our time is limited, it's important that we devote our time to interesting things, that we move in the right direction, and to me an official wow release will always be more interesting than user made content, especially if we account for the art, like I said at the beginning, players are players, not proper creators, wow is made by blizzard and that's just how it is.
    I think we should focus on making and experiencing good original content, not toying with assets. so I'm not really in favor of player made content, and I personally think any one would make a more interesting choice by experiencing outsanding things made by persons of talent, working at blizzard, nintendo, or into an indie game studio, there's enough of those, but not "user made" content
    The games I am referring to are posted in the OP, among others. They are the Warcraft 3 custom games. All made by Blizzard's community.

That's fine that you think Blizzard's official content is more appealing. You're free to play that til there's nothing left to gain. For everyone else who may think differently, they could be able to create their very own content. Why are you so opposed to that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Why do you guys think genius can't happen through discovery and happy accidents? If you want innovation you gotta let people be free to play with the IP. Keeping it locked down for generations because muh profits is just sad. At some point it should become public property to everyone's benefit. It can become so much more so much faster if you let open source happen after X years with any IP.

Tons of fanfic exist and some of it even as great as the original franchises if not better, that will never be experienced by the majority simply because it will never move beyond it's original text based media to the big stage. Inhibiting creativity serves only the few and the trolls that make it their mission to take advantage of innovators.
    Well said!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    The games I am referring to are posted in the OP, among others. They are the Warcraft 3 custom games. All made by Blizzard's community.

That's fine that you think Blizzard's official content is more appealing. You're free to play that til there's nothing left to gain. For everyone else who may think differently, they could be able to create their very own content. Why are you so opposed to that?

- - - Updated - - -

Well said!
    first I don't like the idea of user made content into wow which is supposed to be made by blizzard, user content often feels like a mess that I don't want incorporated like I said; and also like I said I think it's important to promote real genius and valuable content (historically), game developers are more in a position to make those, than players using existing assets.

what's genius ? to me genius is creating genius music, genius atmosphere, genius video games, which is all tied. only blizzard creates those (speaking of wow) by definition. I don't see how people can create something valuable on an IP they didn't create. if they're genius, they must create their own IP or creation, which is their own essence that they build out of their genius mind.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2017-08-06 at 10:32 PM.

It's a nice gimmick but it's way too much manpower for Blizz to feasibly be able to sanity check every part of these levels, and they'd absolutely have to before anything hit public consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I like WarCraft because it doesn't allow that. I don't care if it brings "no harm" or "I won't see it". Star Wars is just example. It can be worse as bringing Marvel things into the game. There are other games for that audience, I don't see why would it be in WarCraft. Why would we mix something that is not mixable and should not be mixed?? I'm more up for things like PvP brawls/battleground customization that Blizz is already doing rather than players be allowed to create these - things. And as you have said, people are doing all sorts of things not connect to WoW and I ultimately dislike that. I don't mind when it's chat based.

Blizzard has creative team behind what they are doing. Players don't. Also, I am completely fine when editors are allowed for StarCraft 2 and WarCraft 3 because its completely different type of game and it makes sense.

I also don't want to see "beer","soccer/football" things in WarCraft unless Blizzard do it, because they polish it to fit the WarCraft world, just like they did with Uldum, as an example. A zone that clearly resembles pyramids and desert but it's not like in real life.
    People have wonder woman and superman transmogs, mario and luigi transmogs, etc. What about character names that have nothing to do with the Warcraft universe? Are you against all of these things too?

I respect your opinion though, and thanks for keeping it civil!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyrock View Post
    It's a nice gimmick but it's way too much manpower for Blizz to feasibly be able to sanity check every part of these levels, and they'd absolutely have to before anything hit public consumption.
    Yeah, that's definitely one of the difficulties that arises. People much smarter than I could figure that logistic nightmare out though :P

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    first I don't like the idea of user made content into wow which is supposed to be made by blizzard, user content often feels like a mess that I don't want incorporated like I said; and also like I said I think it's important to promote real genius and valuable content (historically), game developers are more in a position to make those, than players using existing assets.

what's genius ? to me genius is creating genius music, genius atmosphere, genius video games, which is all tied. only blizzard creates those (speaking of wow) by definition. I don't see how people can create something valuable on an IP they didn't create. if they're genius, they must create their own IP or creation, which is their own essence that they build out of their genius mind.
    Ever heard how innovation is standing on the shoulders of giants? You can take anything and analyze it to see that it's been done before, albeit with a few minor but distinguishing changes, to give off the illusion of something new, if it's not outright improving on the old. Same goes for stories and fantasy fairy-tales. The challenge for any author is to hide the fact that the story they're telling has already been heard in some form but still make it compelling. It's just clever use of storytelling techniques in an authors universe that allows them to obscure and fade out that fact. So when it comes down to IP for a game franchise it becomes even more obscure to argue patents and IP... Where's the line? It becomes a slippery slope. Is it at the engine patent? The music, art or story? How much can you copy and steal from your competitor? Ultimately it's the one with the best product that wins, but through IP you can keep all upcoming competition from ever threatening you by stunting their product development with suits. Eventually more resources are spent on IP battles than on innovating and improving existing and new products or merely rewarding everyone involved, if they make an impact quick enough to become a success. Especially if they are investing to keep the IP/patent for multiple generations.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ever heard how innovation is standing on the shoulders of giants? You can take anything and analyze it to see that it's been done before, albeit with a few minor but distinguishing changes, to give off the illusion of something new, if it's not outright improving on the old. Same goes for stories and fantasy fairy-tales. The challenge for any author is to hide the fact that the story they're telling has already been heard in some form but still make it compelling. It's just clever use of storytelling techniques in an authors universe that allows them to obscure and fade out that fact. So when it comes down to IP for a game franchise it becomes even more obscure to argue patents and IP... Where's the line? It becomes a slippery slope. Is it at the engine patent? The music, art or story? How much can you copy and steal from your competitor? Ultimately it's the one with the best product that wins, but through IP you can keep all upcoming competition from ever threatening you by stunting their product development with suits. Eventually more resources are spent on IP battles than on innovating and improving existing and new products or merely rewarding everyone involved, if they make an impact quick enough to become a success. Especially if they are investing to keep the IP/patent for multiple generations.
    I think that it's a fact that some different creations are different. mario is different than final fantasy. resident evil is different than wow. a chrono trigger music is different than a walking dead music and doesn't fit in the game that is more atmospheric. there is a clear line. the human have the ability to create. sure there is a finite amount of music that can be done, but to our brain the amount of possibility is too huge for us to comprehend. game systems doesn't matter that much, same as the story (see mario or resident evil 4), for me the genius comes more from art and depiction of a virtual world than anything else. both are tied though but you don't have to be a genius in my view to make a mod or a funny custom map.