Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    And not allowed.

I've started before, that I know some businesses that will go under due to this, but that's only 1-2 that I know are barely making it. Overall, I generally like the idea, but you can't give it to just fast food people. If anything, those people are the ones that deserve it the least, AND those are the people who are producing products (oh, just microwaving products) that are killing the country.

I have 2 main beefs with the minimum wage hike:
    1. I went to college, worked my way up and obviously make more than the 15/min wage, but not by a lot. So my paid better jump up as well, otherwise, what was it all really for?

2. "I'd like a #2, with just heavy ketchup and a coke. Thanks!"
    I get home and check the bag - oh, full normal whopper with everything on it.
    I'm sorry, but you deserve LESS money, not double. There were 3 cars in the parking lot, I'm betting at least 2, if not all 3 were employees and no other cars in the drive thru. So, fuck you.
    Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    Well soon they will be getting 0. Fuck them.
    I sense a hatred against fastfood workers for no other apparant reason than "But they deserve to be poor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Why don't you unionise and get yourself a better deal then?
    My guess would be that they fed into the bullshit about how horrible Unions are and how they're only out for themselves. Basically it boils down to believing that Organized Labor is Bad because they believe that you'll always succeed based on your own merits instead of the accomplishments of your entire workforce. I've said it countless times - I love my Union and I would promote to the end of my days that people should have bargaining power against their employer instead of being told what they're worth by someone who is going to pay them as little as possible to maximize their own profits.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Why don't you unionise and get yourself a better deal then?
    Actually, anyone mentions it and they are ushered out the door immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Actually, anyone mentions it and they are ushered out the door immediately.
    Ah, we've found the reason, turns out its the childish reason of "we don't get to unionize, so its automaticly bad and nobody should ever benefit from workers unions"

Grow up.

Meanwhile, in places that have already raised the minimum wage to 11 dollars per hour, on their way to 15, employers are finding that employees are asking for more time off work and less hours because they will lose their gov't benefits.

And not allowed.

I've started before, that I know some businesses that will go under due to this, but that's only 1-2 that I know are barely making it. Overall, I generally like the idea, but you can't give it to just fast food people. If anything, those people are the ones that deserve it the least, AND those are the people who are producing products (oh, just microwaving products) that are killing the country.

I have 2 main beefs with the minimum wage hike:
    1. I went to college, worked my way up and obviously make more than the 15/min wage, but not by a lot. So my paid better jump up as well, otherwise, what was it all really for?

2. "I'd like a #2, with just heavy ketchup and a coke. Thanks!"
    I get home and check the bag - oh, full normal whopper with everything on it.
    I'm sorry, but you deserve LESS money, not double. There were 3 cars in the parking lot, I'm betting at least 2, if not all 3 were employees and no other cars in the drive thru. So, fuck you.

So you're upset that other people get to have some money, and maybe actually have their own place to live, or maybe even a car of their own? Not everyone had the privilege of getting to go to college. Are you saying someone should be fucked because they were born into a poor family?

Your second point is anecdotal garbage that made me shudder with disgust from the pure inhumanity, selfishness and ignorance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    The statement you posted has been thoroughly debunked numerous times on these forums, just by looking at the history of every country with a minimum wage.
    Feel free to debunk it then. I'm new here.

They are going to roll them out everywhere. This entire automation thing is why we need to start moving away from the hardcore capitalism we have now.
    The system under which we live now is not capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Do the automated payment machines cook your food for you and hand it to you as well? No? Then they will still need staff to actually do those things. And if they can take more orders faster by using the machines they will need more staff doing the actual 'cooking' so people on the tills can move to the back and still be employed (in an ideal world at least).
    Now you just need your waiters / waitresses to get organised and all up in arms so you don't have to have the insane 'compulsory tipping' culture over there...
    Literally none of that will happen. You know they have people that just take orders and money right? They already have people that work the grills and prepare thr sandwiches.

And the OP is sort of misleading.. is this only for fast food workers? I assume not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vago View Post
    Meanwhile, in places that have already raised the minimum wage to 11 dollars per hour, on their way to 15, employers are finding that employees are asking for more time off work and less hours because they will lose their gov't benefits.
    Source please?

This entire automation thing is why we need to start moving away from the hardcore capitalism we have now.
    This. Embrace it (or suck it up, it is coming either way) and expand. For most people a job is doing shit they don't want for somebody they can't stand to get paid for food, shelter and entertainment. Would a future where agriculture, distribution and engineering/construction are automated be a bad thing? Sure we would have to come up with more ways to entertain ourselves but with so many complaining 'If only I had the time to...' ...

--SNIP--

Don't post spam
    The guy brought up a valid point, it's kind of weird that you pretty much just ducked it and posted a meme instead but I'd be interested in seeing your arguments. THe most logical thing I could see a business owner doing is cutting their staff in half, keep only the best workers and telling them "since you are getting paid double now, you're going to have to handle an extra work load".
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-07-23 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    The guy brought up a valid point, it's kind of weird that you pretty much just ducked it and posted a meme instead but I'd be interested in seeing your arguments. THe most logical thing I could see a business owner doing is cutting their staff in half, keep only the best workers and telling them "since you are getting paid double now, you're going to have to handle an extra work load".
    Do you believe companies hire workers as charity cases? You understand that if you need 2 employees at 20 hours a week - you'll still need 1 employee at 40 hours. If you're a business owner you now earned yourself a full-time employee and have become responsible for the benefits package that comes with being full-time. So yes they could cut their staff in half people wise - but financially they're paying out more than what they did with having two part time employees. Also once business improves due to more disposable income in the hands of those who spend it the company would have to start hiring people again to meet the new demand.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayonnaise the Instrument View Post
    Because posting memes rather than arguments is always easier.
    You didn't provide any arguments either.
    One liners with no content are the exact same thing, minus the picture file that contains the message.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DiNett View Post
    Really, so all those automated order stands are a myth now?
    ive seen them way before ny of this minimum wage talk, service is shittier because they keep fewer people around, and if some break down, the fewer servers have to do the work anyway. Also at Chillis the Ipad order things are disgusting to touch

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    You didn't provide any arguments either.
    One liners with no content are the exact same thing, minus the picture file that contains the message.
    How is pointing out that it will create unemployment not different from just calling someone ignorant?

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    Do you believe companies hire workers as charity cases? You understand that if you need 2 employees at 20 hours a week - you'll still need 1 employee at 40 hours. If you're a business owner you now earned yourself a full-time employee and have become responsible for the benefits package that comes with being full-time. So yes they could cut their staff in half people wise - but financially they're paying out more than what they did with having two part time employees. Also once business improves due to more disposable income in the hands of those who spend it the company would have to start hiring people again to meet the new demand.
    That might make sense if you only have 1-2 employees now. But my company has 20k in just my city. Do you seriously not think they could cut a few here and there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Even China is moving away from cheap labor to machines..... unless the cost is ZERO they will consider paying people a hindrance

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...hinese-workers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayonnaise the Instrument View Post
    How is pointing out that it will create unemployment not different from just calling someone ignorant?
    Because you both made a statement...... One sentence......... No explanation why....

You say it creates unemployment.
    Well, that's a meme itself (since memes aren't exclusive to pictures), for as long as you don't provide a reason why it would.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Minimum wage and the effects of automation are a popular topic in the off-topic forums. The moderators even get in on the action - a quick google: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...2+minimum+wage (not to single out this particular moderator - I just remember his posts on a similar topic from about a week ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Automation is just a boogeyman. It always has been. People have been predicting that automation would lead to the collapse of the labor market for 200 years. It hasn't happened. It's nonsense.
    Nobody's worth that little. That's why the government ends up having to subsidize the incomes of those who make that little money; because basic living costs exceed those wage levels.

The absolute bare minimum a worker is "worth" is a living wage, because that's how much it costs to keep that person going in a minimal standard of living. If you're better than most, you deserve even more than that. This minimum living wage is the reasonable floor, because if we go any lower, the government ends up picking up the difference.
    Yes, but people are usually talking about this in terms of long-term economic collapse, which just doesn't happen. The economy will adapt to the new paradigm, like it always has. Front-line fast food service staff may go the way of blacksmiths and horse groomers, but that's not an objectively bad thing.
    Like any politicised issue there's tons of debate on the issue. I think these are relevant to the discussion at hand though and I happen to agree with the points he made
    Last edited by JackAU; 2015-07-23 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Quote I was replying to got snipped :/

Good. A 40 hour/week job should provide food, a roof and healthcare. If you can't afford to offer that, then your business model is fucked. If the minimum wage in an area can't provide that, then increase the minimum in that area.

The government needs to protect workers, because businesses won't.

Good, $15/hour does seem like a minimal wage for NY. That state is hella expensive for cost of living.

I don't support it everywhere, though. You really have to consider state costs of living.
    For a while I was living in a 2 bed/2 bath apartment at around 1300-1400 sq ft. for $700/month rent. I don't think you'd find that anywhere in New York or California in the past 10 years.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2015-07-23 at 12:44 PM.