Deleted

<Boomkin> Legendary Ring Opener

I was thinking a bit, assuming that you proc the legendary ring on pull. Would inc 4.5s - wrath - starsurge - CA +Moonfire Opener be better?
    My thinking is this, within the 15 seconds of the legendary ring, you should try to get in as many casts as possible, not only because of the obvious 125% bonus damage but because of the 25% AoE. If you do a Wrath and Starsurge opener, the damage from the wrath and the starsurge be stored. Meaning you get 2x spells in that gets stored for free.

The ring is not a proc. Its on use.
    But I guess you were thinking of solo play here? Just for your own sake.

Quote Originally Posted by ariassh View Post
    If you do a Wrath and Starsurge opener, the damage from the wrath and the starsurge be stored. Meaning you get 2x spells in that gets stored for free.
    Not exactly. Given you'd pop it earlier to include those two spells.

Situation 1: You pop on wrath @ -3s, meaning that it'll finish +12s into the boss fight.
    Situation 2: It's popped @ 0s, meaning that it'll finish +15s into the boss fight.

Only issue I see regarding the ring and the opener is when it is used on pull given some classes pre-cast, whereas melee don't. Seems like any opener where CA is used before 0s might lose some value as most guilds will be having a melee proc the ring, which I assume would be between 0 and +1s, and not pre-pull.

Wrath opener is going to be better if you manage to get that Legendary Ring is activated just before your Wrath and Starsurge land.

Obviously Starfire opener is better if the Ring use is activated just before your cast finishes but this is something you cant handle yourself.

Either way its more reliable to use Wrath opener with Legendary ring but the reality is that its not gonna matter dps wise

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hekkipekki View Post
    The ring is not a proc. Its on use.
    But I guess you were thinking of solo play here? Just for your own sake.
    My initial thought was for solo play as my guild uses the ring a few seconds after pull, and i know its a use, my idea was that you cast wrath, during the travel time you use ring, wrath hits target while ring is up and while youre casting your next spell. The idea is to get as much damage possible within the time limit of the legendary ring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azmyth View Post
    Not exactly. Given you'd pop it earlier to include those two spells.

Situation 1: You pop on wrath @ -3s, meaning that it'll finish +12s into the boss fight.
    Situation 2: It's popped @ 0s, meaning that it'll finish +15s into the boss fight.

Only issue I see regarding the ring and the opener is when it is used on pull given some classes pre-cast, whereas melee don't. Seems like any opener where CA is used before 0s might lose some value as most guilds will be having a melee proc the ring, which I assume would be between 0 and +1s, and not pre-pull.
    I tested it myself and you dont have to pop it at -3s, you can pop it at 0s and the damage from the wrath + starsurge still counts. But yes, I understand that guilds should pop the ring after a few seconds, a small point of this thread is to see if the amount of pre-casters with spells that has travel time outweighs the fact taht popping ring after a few seconds is worth it.

My initial thought was for solo play as my guild uses the ring a few seconds after pull, and i know its a use, my idea was that you cast wrath, during the travel time you use ring, wrath hits target while ring is up and while youre casting your next spell. The idea is to get as much damage possible within the time limit of the legendary ring.

- - - Updated - - -

I tested it myself and you dont have to pop it at -3s, you can pop it at 0s and the damage from the wrath + starsurge still counts. But yes, I understand that guilds should pop the ring after a few seconds, a small point of this thread is to see if the amount of pre-casters with spells that has travel time outweighs the fact taht popping ring after a few seconds is worth it.
    No worries. I myself forgot to consider travel time.

Quote Originally Posted by lappee View Post
    Wrath opener is going to be better if you manage to get that Legendary Ring is activated just before your Wrath and Starsurge land.

Obviously Starfire opener is better if the Ring use is activated just before your cast finishes but this is something you cant handle yourself.

Either way its more reliable to use Wrath opener with Legendary ring but the reality is that its not gonna matter dps wise
    Would it actually affect in-flight spells? I thought those locked in buffs once they leave your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Would it actually affect in-flight spells? I thought those locked in buffs once they leave your hands.
    In flight spells would count for damage accumulation but wouldn't benefit from the damage multiplier, I imagine.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    In flight spells would count for damage accumulation but wouldn't benefit from the damage multiplier, I imagine.
    This, i tested it, casted one wrath on a dummy, procced ring after cast and before it hit the target. Im not sure if the damage got a benefit but the damage was stored

This, i tested it, casted one wrath on a dummy, procced ring after cast and before it hit the target. Im not sure if the damage got a benefit but the damage was stored
    Which kind of makes sense, since the final damage can only be calculated on hit when target modifiers take effect. Doesn't matter much, either, since by the same token a spell that only hits after the effect ends isn't counted.

Frost mage should be a good choice for determining whether it affects the damage, since Frostbolt is fixed damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Which kind of makes sense, since the final damage can only be calculated on hit when target modifiers take effect. Doesn't matter much, either, since by the same token a spell that only hits after the effect ends isn't counted.

Frost mage should be a good choice for determining whether it affects the damage, since Frostbolt is fixed damage.
    With the opener, it doesnt matter what the final spell is as the duration of the ring is the same regardless, this just makes sure that you get in two extra spells within the time limit. Lets say you normally get to do 1mil damage during its duration, with this opener you increase the damage done by about 10%... Which is about 2.5% more damage done by the rings explosion.. Which is so tiny in the long run that it is probably only a 100 dps increase :P