Thread: 3D Printing

3D Printing

I couldn't find any threads related to 3D-Printing in this forum, so if there's another thread and I missed it, please merge;
    ----

2 Weeks ago, I went to pick up my Ultimaker2 at the local 3D-store. After a year of 'considering', I decided to go for it after all. I wanted a solid 3D printer, without having to upgrade and replace too many parts, which almost automatically means you'll pay the price, if you want a good one.

The idea to buy a 3D-printer is born from the fact that my mother has been handicapped due to breastcancer a few years ago. Ever since her treatment, one of her arms can't properly be used, because some nerves are basically being cut off by the scar tissue of her operation(s). Simple things like tilting a cooking pan, to scrape the bottom, is out of the question, because it requires two hands.
    I've been 'inventing' ways to deal with it for a few years now, but ended up being frustrated by the need for components that don't exist, I can't make with wood (I'm not a carpenter), or can only be obtained through industrials that do not supply the consumer directly.

So, I've been saving money for ~a year now and decided to jump into this new world called 3D-printing. I've got enough 3D modeling skill to create the ideas I have. They have to be practical, not esthetically pleasing, so it doesn't require a huge amount of 'smooth' surface. In other words, I won't need to make any perfect idols.

http://imgur.com/a/PXidN#0
    http://imgur.com/a/PXidN#1

After unpacking and doing the first run, my plan was to get used to using the most common of plastics, which is PLA and then move on to the slightly harder to use ABS, which can endure higher temperatures (and doesn't melt in your car), but requires more specific settings to get right. ABS tends to curl and warp if it gets too hot or cools down too quickly.

The first print I made, was a solid with some options I might need in the future. It was a print of 8hours and succeeded reasonably well.

http://imgur.com/a/PXidN#2

To practice with materials, I've started a project for my car, which takes down from 3h, compared to the 8h to 15h for my other project, a custom phone-holder for my Mazda6-III. Damn thing has on-board-everything, but not a practical option for a phone. So at first I started creating the base-component (which will eventually be the actual holder) in PLA and matching that to my car, which actually went reasonably well. I messed up a few times, but eventually, rough, but well.

Messed up:
    http://imgur.com/a/PXidN#3

Eureka, it fits. Almost.
    http://imgur.com/a/PXidN#4

So I moved from PLA to ABS. I had the solid form of the base. The dimensions were reasonably alright (a.k.a. it fits in the direction it's supposed to), so I wanted to start things off with the material I would end up with.

ABS is an entirely other type of animal. PLA printed without problems with the default settings. With ABS there's not a single setting I haven't touched. I've used hairspray, glue and eventually special tape as adhesive (and I'm still looking for better). I've varied extruder temperatures and bed temperatures. I've adjusted speeds and cooling.

ABS keeps curling and warping, regardless of what I've tried so far. My last attempt I made a few layers a little bit thicker and wider, the edges curled up and basically tore the bottom out of the structure.

[picture link will follow]

So, I've been doing some reading and there are suggestions to shut down the extruder cooling entirely, for ABS, and if possible, keep the warmth inside the machine, meaning that it would require a closed compartment. The slower (supposedly) it cools down, the better the end-result, is the theory.
    Hence, I'm now building a cheap IKEA closet, which I will mod into an isolated environment, no noise, to keep the warmth inside, with a limited airflow (two holes of ~65mm). One hole in the back below the Utimaker2 base and one in the top of the closet. I will print a plastic frame to support a single window, giving vision of the print area and I'm going to create a frame to allow access to the Ultimaker2 controls from outside the closet.

This should solve my ABS problems. If it doesn't, more fiddling with temperatures.

So far, I'm loving the whole experimenting thing, but obviously, I'm looking for the moment I've got it just right. Any of you have stories to share?

EDit: It seems I'm an IMGUR noob, or IMGUR simply doesn't follow logic, providing #[numbers], but not actually tying anything to it.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2015-08-03 at 01:41 PM.

Hey uhm. I dont mean to be rude, but is there a TL;DR version? I read 60% of what you wrote and it's interesting but then you started using acronyms like ABS and I'm like ???.

Soooooo.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Hey uhm. I dont mean to be rude, but is there a TL;DR version? I read 60% of what you wrote and it's interesting but then you started using acronyms like ABS and I'm like ???.

Soooooo.....?
    ABS is just a type of plastic, same with PLA. Depending on the project you might use a certain type.
    Last edited by Dedweight; 2015-08-04 at 04:31 AM.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

Soooooo.....?
    I'm sorry, they're (indeed) types of plastic that have different properties. PLA is the most common type of plastic and usually your 'go-to' when you start printing, but my projects require a certain heatresistance, so I have to use ABS or Nylon to achieve that.

I'll post an update sooner or later, I'm still finetuning atm

I like the idea of 3d printing, but don't know much about it. How detailed can you make the pieces? Can you print things like screw threads? How expensive would a printer be that could print screw threads?