Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Artifacts and "casuals"

For someone who use to be at the top end of wow raiding and has recently had to retire due to work and other real life issues, I only have a couple hrs a day to play now and I like to spend it pvping.

My question is do you guys think they will force pvpers to do things outside of pvp to gain power?

7+ Year Old Account
    They said you can gain artifact power from anything so if you dont want to do pve you can just run arenas and battlegrounds to work up your weapon

10+ Year Old Account
    gain power.. to some extent. but mostly since pvp and pve are getting separated you will only really have to worry about doing your pvp stuff for your new pvp talents that work only in pvp.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Pretty sure they mentioned pvp is one of the things you can do.

Pretty sure they made it sound like if you're actually playing the game you'll get power.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    gain power.. to some extent. but mostly since pvp and pve are getting separated you will only really have to worry about doing your pvp stuff for your new pvp talents that work only in pvp.
    Im not talking about the talents im talking about the artifact weapons, I dont want to have to quest, or pve in general to get an advantage in pvp like I have had to many expansions before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskar000 View Post
    Im not talking about the talents im talking about the artifact weapons, I dont want to have to quest, or pve in general to get an advantage in pvp like I have had to many expansions before that.
    Will have to wait for Blizzcon to be sure. I would imagine you WILL have to play the game (WoW) at least some or progress very, very slowly. The new system sounds like it has potential though, so I'll be anxious to hear exactly how things will play out.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like they aren't entirely sure of the answer themselves. PvP gear in its current format is going away, and PvE gear is being made viable for PvP again.

I assume they'll have some sort of "iLevel cap" to avoid Mythic Raiders from being PvP Gods, but you probably will find there's more ways to gear up for PvP than JUST doing PvP.

Not necessarily a bad thing, though. A little optional variety hurt no one.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    They said you can gain artifact power from anything so if you dont want to do pve you can just run arenas and battlegrounds to work up your weapon
    When i heard them say that in the presentation - my first thoughts was "so... I can level my artifact weapons via pet battles?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    When i heard them say that in the presentation - my first thoughts was "so... I can level my artifact weapons via pet battles?"
    Well they probably don't mean pet battles so much as they mean "you can go out and AoE down mobs, or do dailies, or do stuff for your Class Order, or PvP, or PvE...."

Basically if I had to guess, anything that awards EXP currently will award Artifact Power in Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully their plan is that if, say, I went out and did a few dailies or smashed some mobs or did a dungeon, I'd get points that can be put toward progressing my Artifact. That way even if someone only has a few minutes they can kill, they'll get some progression (rather than WoD's model where it's either fill in the bar or nothing).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Well they probably don't mean pet battles so much as they mean "you can go out and AoE down mobs, or do dailies, or do stuff for your Class Order, or PvP, or PvE...."

Basically if I had to guess, anything that awards EXP currently will award Artifact Power in Legion.
    ....pet battles award player EXP for each battle, not just pet EXP. Hell, even Professions award EXP now. :P

But yeah, I know what you mean. You're referring to actions that actually USES the weapon to produce a result of EXP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskar000 View Post
    i understood exactly what you are talking about and my answer still applies. read it carefully.

you will be able to get the power you want via pvp related content. but your main focus, since you only care about pvp, will be prestige and pvp stuff, not the extra variations of the weapon that everybody else will have via playing different aspects of the game.

at least thats how i understand it from the extremely limited amount of info we have right now. and it will most likely change during the beta anyway.

your best bet, is to wait for the next Q&A session on Sunday or even waiting until we have beta info to help answer these finer details.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    With the recent comments by J. Allen Brack regarding removal of pvp gear, it sounds like Blizz is really pushing for players to try and take advantage of all sources of content to gain power.
    @Aridnz[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    i understood exactly what you are talking about and my answer still applies. read it carefully.

you will be able to get the power you want via pvp related content. but your main focus, since you only care about pvp, will be prestige and pvp stuff, not the extra variations of the weapon that everybody else will have via playing different aspects of the game.

at least thats how i understand it from the extremely limited amount of info we have right now. and it will most likely change during the beta anyway.

your best bet, is to wait for the next Q&A session on Sunday or even waiting until we have beta info to help answer these finer details.
    prestige and shit is all cosmetic im talking about the power benefits you unlock from the artifact weapon...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ....pet battles award player EXP for each battle, not just pet EXP. Hell, even Professions award EXP now. :P

But yeah, I know what you mean. You're referring to actions that actually USES the weapon to produce a result of EXP.
    Huh, didn't know Pet Battles gave EXP. Then again I hardly do that.

Professions might give Artifact exp, but Professions give bad EXP to begin with so it likely wouldn't matter.

My assumption on this is that these points will be capped every week (otherwise itll compel the hardcore into burnout). Lets just arbitrarily put that figure around 2000 (since, if i recall, the screenshot had one talent at 6000). They said you'll get these points from pretty much everywhere (i think). So maybe a BG victory will give you 100 and a rated BG or arena, 300. Doing your weekly raid quest will net you 500 and your daily 5 man (which sounds like its coming back) 250 or so. Running a raid will get you another 50 per boss kill (and 200 for completion), perhaps theyll reward you double in a guild formation to encourage guilds... Running a dungeon gets you 100, finishing your class weekly (if they have it) another 150.

OBVIOUSLY, im pulling this out of my ass. But it seems to open up the game to EXACTLY how you want to play it. If you want to raid, run raids and get your points, if you want to pvp, do that. The only restriction is the cap itself which has to hold players back from their own excesses to be honest :P

As a PVPer though, you have bigger fish to fry:

Number 1: Whence the gear? How does it compare to PVE raid gear? Will PVPers end up roflstomped by pve scrubs in their heroic/mythic raid gear since PVP no longer has its own specific gear or stat.

Number 2: And when you hit your 50 levels... whats the incentive to keep going? A pony? A badge? Its all a bit...

10+ Year Old Account
    I rather like that system concept, Ippo, though I'd be a little more forgiving with the cap since arbitrary capping tends to be seen as gating (and thus negatively received) by hardcore players.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

It looks like the actual weapon's ilvl will come from relics, which drop from dungeons and raids. They didn't mention PvP. So PvPers might be stuck with dungeon ilvl weapons for most of the expansion. Maybe LFR also drops relics.

The points will definitely be gated weekly, and everyone will probably have access to all the points. Perhaps mythic raiders will have higher point cap each week.

I agree, but its a necessary evil. They cant just let players off the leash, theyll devour the content in a week. Since this is in effect the legendary, (in practice) my assumption will be that they'll want to stretch it out through the course of the expansion (or at worst, at least through the course of the first patch cycle). Once youre upgraded fully, whats next? Are you now running with a FUBAR weapon with stats meant for the final tier of the expansion absolutely smashing through the emerald nightmare? They have to keep it reigned in somehow, and this means either gating through points, or gating through unlocks (and quests for items available only in the next patch cycle). Or, the worst of all possible worlds, a grind to hell with points coming in incredibly slowly at the start and only making real progress toward the end tier of the expansion. Id rather they just locked it in like they did with valor/conquest, even if i personally HATED valor caps.

I bet they'll sell artifact powerups for gold.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"