Page 1 of 35
... LastLast
    Deleted

"Fat pride" is not good.

"Fat pride" is not good. The idea that fat people can't change the way they are and should therefore embrace it, is a dangerous idea. No one needs to be fat, and barring a special medical condition; no one needs to snack all day either. And absolutely no one needs to go to McDonald's for breakfast, lunch, or dinner (no one has to go there ever, actually). All it takes to lose weight is self-control, nothing more. If you're obese, you're either eating too much, too often, or both. If you eat the wrong things it speeds up the process.

I am, of course, not saying that fat people shouldn't be proud of themselves or their accomplishments. It's just that they shouldn't be proud of their excess fat. I could see the use of it if crippled people wanted "handicap pride" or something like that, because they're in a situation that they can't change and it could be important for them to have that feeling of unity and togetherness (because it's impossible for the rest of us to fully appreciate their situation). But that doesn't apply to overweight people. They can change themselves, and taking pride in their situation is only going to make matters worse for themselves.

Eating healthy is good for you. It's boring, but it's good for you, and it will make you feel happier and more energized once you get past the boredom. Eating healthy is not necessarily more expensive than eating unhealthy, it actually tends to be much cheaper. If you cook your own food it's quite easy to live on a budget. It's not hard to cook food, it's not hard stick to your budget when you're at the store. It's just boring.

If you're obese, fat or chubby; it's your own fault, because you are lacking discipline. If you have an injury that prevents you from working out don't blame it for your state, just change your diet and restrict it to breakfast, lunch and dinner (and don't eat until you're full, stop eating when you no longer feel hungry). Don't blame society for your situation, don't demand that other people should find you attractive in spite of your form, and know that you should not receive special dispensation from the public for your bad decisions (I.E. bigger seats in movie theatres, buses, air planes, etc.). Your weight is already an unnecessary burden on society.

Maybe your parents were ignorant about what they fed you, and maybe it's their fault that you became overweight. Well, it's still your fault for staying that way, and you are the only one who can fix it.

Deleted
    Wait, there is such thing as fat pride?!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Very well thought out and stated. Good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Madokara Mieru View Post
    I would think so. When you got an obese "model" out there embracing her disgusting body, I would say thats a level of pride in her rolls.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Another fat shaming thread? Did the reddit horde move here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fat pride isn't good. But fat shaming isn't good either.

There needs to be encouragement of healthy lifestyles that doesn't involve harassing and humiliating people. And it needs to be done in a way that doesn't set unrealistic expectations for body image and spawn eating disorders and other problems.

Deleted
    There is a lot of things one shouldn't be prideful off and a lot of things that are harmful to people. But internet forum posts, likely ain't going to change that

Which actually is a rather strange phenomenon, people always seem to be far more obsessed with telling others that have bad behaviours how to solve them or how they are harmful. When was the last time we had a thread about gaming have some ill effect on people, from something like overexposure or addiction?
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2015-08-10 at 09:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Another fat shaming thread? Did the reddit horde move here?
    I don't think it's fat shaming

Fuck it, let them gorge themselves into an early grave. Let smokers smoke away their health, and let drug abusers kill themselves on their drug of choice. If people want to gleefully kill themselves, let them , and sooner than later, will be a bag of skin and bones 6ft under.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm conflicted over the movement. I think its main point is just don't be giant douchenozzles to overweight people, as some people are. Not that being fat is a healthy thing. It's a general consensus that it's not. That being said there are some fat people in the movement that truly believe they don't need to lose weight and they're perfectly healthy.

Like, no you are under no obligation to lose weight but don't say you're healthy imo. Still doesn't mean you should be ridiculed for your appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Madokara Mieru View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Bingo. I choose to be inactive and eat bad shit for me, but at the same time, I'm not limping over dying. I don't need a model's body, but I also don't want to weigh 300+ (which I currently don't). Could I exercise more? Sure, I just don't care to.

Both sides of the argument, shaming, and pride, are both awful. Have some healthy middle-ground, people.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jochon View Post
    "Fat pride" is not good. The idea that fat people can't change the way they are and should therefore embrace it, is a dangerous idea. No one needs to be fat, and barring a special medical condition; no one needs to snack all day either. And absolutely no one needs to go to McDonald's for breakfast, lunch, or dinner (no one has to go there ever, actually). All it takes to lose weight is self-control, nothing more. If you're obese, you're either eating too much, too often, or both. If you eat the wrong things it speeds up the process.

I am, of course, not saying that fat people shouldn't be proud of themselves or their accomplishments. It's just that they shouldn't be proud of their excess fat. I could see the use of it if crippled people wanted "handicap pride" or something like that, because they're in a situation that they can't change and it could be important for them to have that feeling of unity and togetherness (because it's impossible for the rest of us to fully appreciate their situation). But that doesn't apply to overweight people. They can change themselves, and taking pride in their situation is only going to make matters worse for themselves.

Eating healthy is good for you. It's boring, but it's good for you, and it will make you feel happier and more energized once you get past the boredom. Eating healthy is not necessarily more expensive than eating unhealthy, it actually tends to be much cheaper. If you cook your own food it's quite easy to live on a budget. It's not hard to cook food, it's not hard stick to your budget when you're at the store. It's just boring.

If you're obese, fat or chubby; it's your own fault, because you are lacking discipline. If you have an injury that prevents you from working out don't blame it for your state, just change your diet and restrict it to breakfast, lunch and dinner (and don't eat until you're full, stop eating when you no longer feel hungry). Don't blame society for your situation, don't demand that other people should find you attractive in spite of your form, and know that you should not receive special dispensation from the public for your bad decisions (I.E. bigger seats in movie theatres, buses, air planes, etc.). Your weight is already an unnecessary burden on society.

Maybe your parents were ignorant about what they fed you, and maybe it's their fault that you became overweight. Well, it's still your fault for staying that way, and you are the only one who can fix it.
    Uhhh, wrong on many accounts. First off healthy food IS a lot more expensive and that is a fact. Also you can still be fat and eat healthy because you DO need to exercise so those with injury's who can't exercise because of a damaged back or knees are not going to be able to do many types of exercises. Many people are skinny but have no discipline they are just lucky enough to have a high metabolism but they are still very much out of shape. I think that is where Europe is..less obese people but many skinny people who are still out of shape but don't show it until it is time to run a few miles. Their are also people that DO eat well and exercise but have very bad genes- so they can never really get rid of that gut or can never get a 6 pack.

Your post is wrong in many ways and the fact that it is your opinion only shows your severe lack of knowledge on the subject. Genes play a HUGE factor in how you look and things like ACNE show that. It doesn't mean you are any less clean then someone with clear skin- it just means you got the short end of the stick.

It's a thing in America at least. Many overweight people are empowered now to do nothing about their bodies because anyone who does not see them as uniquely perfect are considered "haters" or "bullies" regardless of the obvious detrimental effects it has on their well being, their offspring's well being, and the cost to society as a whole (paying for the health care when they can't afford it). Take smoking for instance, it is now OK to be complete dicks to smokers, and tell them they are stupid because that shit will give them cancer and their kids will likely start or get second hand effects, and its ok to ban them from public. If you tell a fat person they are stupid and dare point out their kids will probably also be fat and it causes health issues blah blah blah you will get crucified.

Don't get me wrong, its not right to call someone a fatass or what have you, but the people celebrating obesity and calling obese people "brave" when they put their bodies on display are a bigger problem than bullies imo.

Fat-shaming ain't that great either.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Kind of missed the context here. He's proud because he's the only gay in the village. (or so he thinks)

Quote Originally Posted by Jochon View Post
    and don't eat until you're full, stop eating when you no longer feel hungry
    Think that's pretty much the most important part of your post.

Most people don't know what "feeling" hungry actually means.

Doctors will tell you that you don't need to eat if your feeling that your stomach is growling. You eat with you're feeling low on energy. It's a feeling that you have to experience. Growling stomach doesn't always mean you're actually hungry, and in most cases that "hunger" will go away in a short time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post

There needs to be encouragement of healthy lifestyles that doesn't involve harassing and humiliating people. And it needs to be done in a way that doesn't set unrealistic expectations for body image and spawn eating disorders and other problems.
    I agree with you, but the problem is that the middle ground is far too hard to find and enforce.
    You will have those who feel threatened when someone tells them to change their eating habits, as if it was a personal attack on them and not a statement to their condition (let's be real, being overweight, obese, what have you, is a condition), then you will have those who will use the public campaigns like "big is beautiful" or whatever as a crutch of sorts to justify their lifestyles.
    The fact that all people are different means there is no true middle ground.
    Everyone will react differently, just like the above examples I gave, where some people would take those words to heart and improve themselves either to spite the person who offended them or simply because it took that level of communication to wake them up to the reality of their life (not to mention the severity of harshness contained within said communication).
    Others will look at the "plus size models" and see a reflection of themselves that they don't like, thus moving toward change for the better.

It's a big mess, and each person needs to actively seek their own solutions instead of relying on others to find that sweet spot to get them to do something different.
    I've known many people who have battled severe weight issues, and out of them all, I would say it's pretty much split between the humiliated, the coddled, and the independent.
    It really just comes down to whether or not the person in question actually wants change and are willing to put in the effort required, or if they simply say they want it without taking the necessary steps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Fuck it, let them gorge themselves into an early grave. Let smokers smoke away their health, and let drug abusers kill themselves on their drug of choice. If people want to gleefully kill themselves, let them , and sooner than later, will be a bag of skin and bones 6ft under.
    Great -- are you going to pay for them? Because the rest of us do, either because they are uninsured, or because we have to make up the difference in the insurance pool.