Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Man v Animal: Sad reality

http://www.bbc.co.uk/timelines/z86kj6f

It is estimated that 99.9% of all the species that have ever lived are now extinct. The rate of those extinctions has accelerated dramatically over the last century however, and humans stand accused of being the main cause.
    Personally I find the reality really depressing, I consider myself an armchair naturalist. I love the natural world and all its mysteries so naturally I take a keen interest in conservation though I can't help feel to little to late. What's your views?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I consider myself an armchair naturalist.
    Armchair naturalist? Yeah I occasionally write stuff here nude, too.

On topic, yea I love nature and the mysteries it entails.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Armchair naturalist? Yeah I occasionally write stuff here nude, too.

On topic, yea I love nature and the mysteries it entails.
    You're thinking naturist

10+ Year Old Account

Personally I find the reality really depressing, I consider myself an armchair naturalist. I love the natural world and all its mysteries so naturally I take a keen interest in conservation though I can't help feel to little to late. What's your views?
    In short (and leaving my feelings out of it), nature will survive just fine without humans, but humans cannot survive without nature. So our current efforts to erradicate as much of nature as possible is very much akin to sawing off the branch we're sitting on.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're thinking naturist
    Whatever!
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) says that Earth has lost half of its species in past 40 years, mainly due to man's killing for food, pollution and destruction of habitat. I'm sure besides us humans and maybe rats (I know jellyfish are exploding), are the only population that continues to increase at large numbers and threaten the counter balance of earth supporting a species.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Pandas really need to just die out. They're one of the dumbest species.
    Like the majority of posters on this forum?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    In short (and leaving my feelings out of it), nature will survive just fine without humans, but humans cannot survive without nature. So our current efforts to erradicate as much of nature as possible is very much akin to sawing off the branch we're sitting on.
    Oh I agree, we're essentially guaranteeing our own extinction but I still find it sad so many got snuffed out before

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Pandas really need to just die out. They're one of the dumbest species.

They're assholes about mating
    That's mostly in captivity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    That's mostly in captivity.
    Pandas are interesting because for some reason they went from carnivore to herbivore but struggle to digest and maintain energy which requires them to almost need to continuously eat

Pandas are interesting because for some reason they went from carnivore to herbivore but struggle to digest and maintain energy which requires them to almost need to continuously eat
    Bears are omnivores. And I suspect pandas (or their ancestors) started out that way too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I agree, we're essentially guaranteeing our own extinction but I still find it sad so many got snuffed out before

Don't worry! We have a plan!

Essentially, we've won the evolution game on this planet. In 20, 50, 100 years, everything around us will be what we've decided is useful. That may be farm animals, it may be nature preserves where you can see a peacock or something, whatever.

Just imagine when we start truly exploring the ocean. Giant squid for 20 on my menu? Alright.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Bears are omnivores. And I suspect pandas (or their ancestors) started out that way too.
    Polar bears and some extinct bears were carnivorous

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Essentially, we've won the evolution game on this planet. In 20, 50, 100 years, everything around us will be what we've decided is useful. That may be farm animals, it may be nature preserves where you can see a peacock or something, whatever.

Just imagine when we start truly exploring the ocean. Giant squid for 20 on my menu? Alright.
    We haven't won the evolution race

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post

You can't win a race that is never over. And if you think humanity has won anything when all we do is destroying the basis of our own existence, I think you're pretty delusional.

Polar bears and some extinct bears were carnivorous
    I should've said "most bears". But anyway the point was you can't really go from full carnivore to herbivore that easily, so it's likely pandas were omnivores at some point.

And in 200 years we've gone extinct due to our own undoing. What did we win? The Darwin award?
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2015-08-16 at 04:21 PM.

Deleted
    I should've said "most bears". But anyway the point was you can't really go from full carnivore to herbivore that easily, so it's likely pandas were omnivores at some point.
    Either way their bodies struggle to process it

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    You can't win a race that is never over. And if you think humanity has won anything when all we do is destroying the basis of our own existence, I think you're pretty delusional.
    We're the only animal with the capability of killing all life on this planet. At the moment, we've won the race. Now we need to decide what to do with our victory.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Either way their bodies struggle to process it
    That's goes for pretty much most herbivores though. It's just a very inefficient energy source compared to meat.
    We're the only animal with the capability of killing all life on this planet.
    Nope. If we launch all of our nukes at the same time, many species will still survive. The destructive power of all that isn't even close to the thing that killed the dinosaurs and plenty of species were able to live through it.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2015-08-16 at 04:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    give animals time, and they adjust even to pop culture hypes

"The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."