Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Getting followed for blowing my horn

Hey guys!

Today something scary as heck happened to me. I'm traveling down a 1 lane road on my way home from work. In front of me is this minivan. We stop at a traffic light and he's apparently texting and won't move, so I honk at him. He stops at a stop signs and stays there again, so I honk at him and he goes on. This goes on for another three traffic lights. On the final one I lay on my horn for about 7-8 seconds because this guy keeps staying at the light/stop sign for at least 4 seconds. He finally turns and I'm relived.

Then he starts following me and tailgating me. I make a couple turns to get to my house but this guy is still on my tail. I did not go to my house and instead tried to make it to the police station. This guy was following me the entire time. Even on the two lane road. He wouldn't stop following me and was still on my tail. Finally I reach the police station and turn in , the guy wants to follow me in but he turns around and leaves. Scariest time of my life, I seriously thought my life was in danger. I'm still shaking like crazy. Has this happened to anyone else?

Couldn't call 911 because my phone fell between my seat and center console.

15+ Year Old Account
    That happened to my then girlfriend and I in college. It sucked. They chased us for >20 minutes before campus security and about a half dozen other cops got them.

Edit: I honked at a dude who was stopped at the parking lot exit for 3-4 minutes and was blocking traffic.
    Last edited by Moxal; 2015-08-19 at 03:41 AM.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

if you had a gun...

Happened to me once. I have quite a large build though. Stopped the car and got out and the guy drove off rather quickly.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

Deleted
    Sounds like your typical "You cant mess with me" American attitude issue.

uh huh, sounds like you drove behind a guy and didn't bother to pass him. and honked at him at every light, THEN you lay it on for a final time, and he is, justafiably, pissed. yea you brought that on your self. becasue if the guy was 1-2 seconds behind on moving at each light but you still beep at him, yea I'd be pissed as well.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    uh huh, sounds like you drove behind a guy and didn't bother to pass him. and honked at him at every light, THEN you lay it on for a final time, and he is, justafiably, pissed. yea you brought that on your self. becasue if the guy was 1-2 seconds behind on moving at each light but you still beep at him, yea I'd be pissed as well.
    Can't pass on double solid lines sadly.

Tailgating is breaking a law in most states as it is considered dangerous driving. It is not a direct threat on your life. I consider repeatedly failing to notice a green light (or continue past stop sign) as dangerous/hazardous driving. Times like this, especially if you're going on the offensive and blaring your horn, at least note their plates. There's no reason to blare your horn at someone (act of aggression), but a simple honk is fine. Person driving was probably trying to be defensive towards your last horn.

Some tips: Have patience. Good you lasted on enough of this drivers mistakes, but honking your horn or doing anything aggressive is never going to put you in a better situation. Notify the police of hazardous driving (mention possible texting or intoxication - I know you couldn't in this case) or keep giving a honk. Regardless of how much someone may do wrong, you doing wrong in return is never permissible regardless of how good it may feel.

My younger self would have suggested: (and I do not suggest doing this)
    a) Do the same thing s/he was doing to you.
    and/or
    b) Brake check that bastard. Hit your brakes hard if they're riding you. You get hit, their fault.
    and/or
    c) Pull off on the side of the road. If they pull off, wait for them to get out (or sit there) then keep driving. Rinse and repeat.

If someone is being aggressive to you, playing pussy can eventually get them off your tail.

Any sane person who has someone like that behind them, isn't going to start following someone, they're going to be thankful the jackass left, and go about their day, so no I don't think that's how it went down.

Yeah I usually get pissed at random noises directed towards me from totally random strangers because they don't like my driving too??? Lol. I can't believe how upset people get about the dumbest of things.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Can't pass on double solid lines sadly.
    ok, so did you honk at him at every light? I mean I get frustrated too but when you piss strangers off they can and do act hostite.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    ok, so did you honk at him at every light? I mean I get frustrated too but when you piss strangers off they can and do act hostite.
    I did, maybe I shouldn't have. I could of been hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    Any sane person who has someone like that behind them, isn't going to start following someone, they're going to be thankful the jackass left, and go about their day, so no I don't think that's how it went down.
    well if I was driving down a one lane road and had some guy blew his horn at me, at every, damn, light. I would be pissed the fuck off, I wouldn't follow them but be sure they see my middle finger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I did, maybe I shouldn't have. I could of been hurt.
    no, clearly you shouldn't have. again if it was me I'd stop the car at that light, hop out, and give you the double bird.

well if I was driving down a one lane road and had some guy blew his horn at me, at every, damn, light. I would be pissed the fuck off, I wouldn't follow them but be sure they see my middle finger.

- - - Updated - - -

no, clearly you shouldn't have. again if it was me I'd stop the car at that light, hop out, and give you the double bird.
    Perfectly reasonable to be pissed, however if his story was true and the guy wasn't following traffic rules, also reasonable to be honked at.

Quote Originally Posted by kyoloco View Post
    if you had a gun...
    so many keyboard warriors but this guy is right, just don't be that idiot person that gets a gun and has no idea how to use it

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    And you would have limped back to your car
    /visably shaken
    oooh tough guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Sounds like your typical "You cant mess with me" American attitude issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    American
    America is not the only country that has assholes in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    Perfectly reasonable to be pissed, however if his story was true and the guy wasn't following traffic rules, also reasonable to be honked at.
    oh yea I can see myself being in the OP's position as well, but I try not to piss other drivers off. because at least where I live that's possible to get you in a lot of trouble. and I'm not inclined to believe that with what's been presented so far.

Deleted
    well stop pleasuring yourself while driving you pervert

oh yea I can see myself being in the OP's position as well, but I try not to piss other drivers off. because at least where I live that's possible to get you in a lot of trouble. and I'm not inclined to believe that with what's been presented so far.
    i think ive only used my horn 3 times so far

i hate pressing it