Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stross01 View Post
    Fel Lord is higher spike.

Also, holy jesus christ, I hope that you never go more than a half second without 4 100k hps healers spamming you! None of the available logs for Archimonde show even half that much intake and, at times, less than previous bosses. Archimonde's melee is less than Iron Reaver's. Monks are taking 1mil~ from Death Brand over the course of the entire fight.

Are you sitting down to take 400k dtps? Do you have gear on?
    Death brand literally ticks for that amount a second????

There are a pretty serious amount of ranked monks with 1500 mastery and higher haste/crit killing every single boss in the zone (other than Archimonde, as the sample size is small.) Do you think they(we) have fun with that?
    Oh is the goalpost 1500 now as well as prioritizing two other stats out of four instead of "whatever you want"? Keep going, I'm sure eventually you'll realize that literally everyone that has ever played the game at a serious level knows that there is a reason to what stats people use and they don't just randomly pick things.

Which brings up an interesting question. If this is so possible and so easy and anyone running more than 1000 mastery is just terrible at the game, why do you do that? Why aren't you stacking Multistrike for that maximum DPS to help your raid?
    Last edited by Totaltotemic; 2015-08-21 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Misume View Post
    Death brand literally ticks for that amount a second????
    Could you unprivate your logs please?

I can't find such high numbers on others. I am eager to get there and attempt it to see 400k dtps for myself though

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Oh is the goalpost 1500 now as well as prioritizing two other stats out of four instead of "whatever you want"? Keep going, I'm sure eventually you'll realize that literally everyone that has ever played the game at a serious level knows that there is a reason to what stats people use and they don't just randomly pick things.

Which brings up an interesting question. If this is so possible and so easy and anyone running more than 1000 mastery is just terrible at the game, why do you do that? Why aren't you stacking Multistrike for that maximum DPS to help your raid?
    And, you've missed my point on purpose. You don't need to stack anything to be successful. You could have even stats across the board and tank any boss in Warlords.

We have a lot of agi users. I will once the gear becomes available.

Deleted
    Could you unprivate your logs please?

I can't find such high numbers on others. I am eager to get there and attempt it to see 400k dtps for myself though

- - - Updated - - -

And, you've missed my point on purpose. You don't need to stack anything to be successful. You could have even stats across the board and tank any boss in Warlords.

We have a lot of agi users. I will once the gear becomes available.
    Sorry I didn't explain myself because I'm drunk as fuck right now but during Death Brand phases you have this;

Archimonde Meleeing you for around 360k

Death Brand ticking for 200k

Doom Caller meleeing for 250k

All in incredibly quick succession

Tank damage is anything but trivial on this fight and you more than likely will only have 1 or 2 healers in range for the entirety of these high damage periods. Not to mention you'll often have a combination of Overseers and Dogs on you, and will need to save your 90% Magic Reductions for Doomfire soaking.

People are gemming for crit because 90% of monk tanks aren't in a top 50 guild, and therefore we overgear the hell out of everything. Surviving is trivial when you're in a guild like mine that just killed M Gorefiend last week so you're 10 ilvls too high for every hard fight, and stacking mastery for something like M Fel Lord when you're 718 ilvl is just a waste when you could easily stack crit/multi, wear Blademaster/Anzu's or even a second dps trinket, put out more dps, and still not be difficult to heal.

People like Misume are in guilds where you get to bosses at an appropriate ilvl and they are actually dangerous, you need the mastery on a fight like Archi where you're just getting dumped on for 50% of the encounter, and even then Misume was crit build for like half the bosses in HFC iirc from the BrM thread.

EDIT: Also 99% of the time if I die on a progress boss it's because either someone fucked something up (and mastery wouldn't have saved me anyway) or I just didn't use CDs when I should have. Stacking mastery to cover for bad play is just stupid, stacking mastery when you're fighting a boss where you will actually just die without it even with proper cds is justified.

The available monks are just using a small external, two Guards, and ring for that entire phase. They're not stacking mastery.

People seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill.

The available monks are just using a small external, two Guards, and ring for that entire phase. They're not stacking mastery.

The problem is that "just stacking whatever" isn't universally viable advice and it never has been. And in a thread where someone is asking for advice, could cause problems.

Even if you can just stack whatever and be successful... what if they don't? Now they have no idea what to do because the advice given to them is resulting in their failure. That advice has now wasted their time and has likely frustrated or confused them. At least with min-maxed advice, you can't blame the gearing. You can then actually look to logs and see what's going on and whether it's actually play that is causing issues.

There's a reason why every legitimate theorycrafter and high-end raider will tell you that mastery is the best defensive stat we have, and why you want it.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2015-08-21 at 02:44 AM.

Do you look at armory? Ever? Justmonk (Method's monk tank in case you didn't know; Method is #1 guild for progression for T18) was all mastery gems, enchants and Blackrock for first Archi kill and I believe for all of Mythic T18. Stacking mastery also depends on drops and loot priorities. Monk 4 pc is a high priority, but we also have high survivability when played right. Misume and Justmonk are playing in guilds where loot is at a premium and you have to find ways of not falling over to damage when several more weeks (months more for the rest of us) of loot would make progression easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Arman Kharas View Post
    Do you look at armory? Ever? Justmonk (Method's monk tank in case you didn't know; Method is #1 guild for progression for T18) was all mastery gems, enchants and Blackrock for first Archi kill and I believe for all of Mythic T18. Stacking mastery also depends on drops and loot priorities. Monk 4 pc is a high priority, but we also have high survivability when played right. Misume and Justmonk are playing in guilds where loot is at a premium and you have to find ways of not falling over to damage when several more weeks (months more for the rest of us) of loot would make progression easier.
    Not often. I'm not a windowlicker. I just know from my personal experience.

Deleted
    Not often. I'm not a windowlicker. I just know from my personal experience.
    Personal experience on a boss you haven't even come close to pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by Misume View Post
    Personal experience on a boss you haven't even come close to pulling.
    Personal experience regarding the value of the stats across the entire tier. I'm not sure how you got confused by what I've been trying to say, but you may want to play some sudoku to sharpen up that brain or something.

However, I'll get there and overrated, like every other end boss for the last 3 expansions. What do you think happens when you get to an end boss? The clouds part? A ray of golden light descends to strike you directly in the head and blesses you with divine standing? Please.

If you're trying to imply that being on Archimonde makes you better or wiser, you're an idiot. The differences between us 12-15 hours raid time and ego size, not ability.
    Last edited by stross01; 2015-08-21 at 05:26 AM.

Crit does provide damage mitigation - but dodge is a very unreliable damage mitigation simply because it is RNG. Yes you could have 15 stacks of EB, which is 15 seconds of 45% dodge - but you could dodge 45% of the attacks, or 10%, or 70% of the attacks thrown at you. Whereas Mastery is straight up mitigation because of your Stagger - it reduces the amount of damage that you take directly, so you will still take damage, but not as much as you would if you didn't dodge a hit with a Crit build. And with Purifying Brew, you can get rid of that percent of damage that your Stagger soaked up.

Basically, Misume and Totaltotemic have kinda said exactly this. Mastery for mitigation, and Crit for damage if you feel like your damage input is low enough that going Crit would not make you very squishy.

EDIT: The healing part about Crit is wrong - you most likely were confused because most of the time in guides, they'll tell you to go either Mastery/Versatility or Crit/Multistrike, and Multistrike would be what would be the healing component, thanks to Gift of the Ox orbs that trigger from Multistrikes. With a Crit/Multistrike build, you're supposed to have more 'control' of your damage intake and healing potential, and a Mastery/Versatility build is more for smoothing out damage.
    Last edited by barleybear; 2015-08-21 at 07:23 AM.