Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    You mean 2 new dungeons to run you can run any dungeon at any level so that is wrong. There is also the primal fights and 2 modes of the raid not to mention 3 new classes, 10 added levels for existing jobs.
    I know I play the game. I maxed out on alex gear and cleared both primals. Outside of savage alex you do the roulette for esos which is only TWO dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    there is probably only around a million subs.

people are already taking breaks from ff14 waiting for the next patch btw. raid has 4 bosses and there's 2 dungeons to run atm.
    Thankfuly next patch is likely coming next month with 2 new dungeons, new raid, more story quests, new primal (not confirmed but likely), new mini games in Gold Saucer and new features to the FC airship thing.

I got the game cause of all the hype. Its fun, but a few small things bugged me so I stopped after my 30 days ended from buying.

1. The circles for boss & enemy abilities don't line up with the animations. Drives me up a fucking wall.

2. That main quest. Just... its so awful, its slow, its boring, and I'm outleveling it tremendously because I hate running around. Unfortunately I late found it its actually required. After grinding level 10-30 of the quest I just said fuck it and quit. Found the story at best mediocre and just started skipping it all.

Its unfortunate because the raiding looks like tons of fun, but its so gated it doesn't feel worth the time to reach.
    Ones brain cannot co-pilot if ones mouth is on auto-pilot.

Deleted
    I love how wow fangirls jumped to state the obvious that registered accounts doesn't mean current subscribers number, when OP or anyone else said something like that. Btw WoW is nowhere near that 5.6 if we count legit players who pay for whole month

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    I know I play the game. I maxed out on alex gear and cleared both primals. Outside of savage alex you do the roulette for esos which is only TWO dungeons.
    You can also do high level roulette, trial roulette ,frontline roulette, alexander and even levelling roulette (well 5 eso is more than 0 eso), I'm doing this all and never feel need to grind or get bored

Quote Originally Posted by Antermosiph View Post
    I got the game cause of all the hype. Its fun, but a few small things bugged me so I stopped after my 30 days ended from buying.

1. The circles for boss & enemy abilities don't line up with the animations. Drives me up a fucking wall.

2. That main quest. Just... its so awful, its slow, its boring, and I'm outleveling it tremendously because I hate running around. Unfortunately I late found it its actually required. After grinding level 10-30 of the quest I just said fuck it and quit. Found the story at best mediocre and just started skipping it all.

Its unfortunate because the raiding looks like tons of fun, but its so gated it doesn't feel worth the time to reach.
    I...i'd love to know what MMO you're comparing the story to. I know it starts slow, but it starts picking up and has its moments. Granted the 1-50 has the most valleys to the good parts, but still I always thought it was good at telling you about the world and the different factions in it.

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    I love how wow fangirls jumped to state the obvious that registered accounts doesn't mean current subscribers number, when OP or anyone else said something like that. Btw WoW is nowhere near that 5.6 if we count legit players who pay for whole month
    And why must someone be a fanboy/fangirl just because they have a view quite rightly that the figure being presented by the developers isn't comparable.
    We weren't complaining about the person posting it here.
    Those releasing the figure are at fault.

There have even been some wishing them success.

By your definition that a single narrow viewpoint defines a fanboy, then you are acting like one for FF given how you are bashing anyone picking fault with the numbers, and you then proceed to fabricate some conspiracy theory about the WoW numbers.

No need to be a jerk.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, that's because "registered accounts" is a bit ambiguous. Is that active subs? Is that just all-time box sales?

Blizzard has mentioned before that they had over 100 million "Accounts", what does that mean in relation to FFXIV's 5 million, for example?

It's hard to pin down what it means if we're not all using the same terminology.
    Yeah but those 100M accounts include trial accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    Yeah but those 100M accounts include trial accounts.
    So ?
    That number is useless in this discussion given that WoW is 10 years old.
    The only use in my view for such a figure, would be for unique players that have played the game.
    Though as to how much certainty can be had over that, I don't know.
    The game has always had a churn of players, coming and going.
    That is what that figure tells us.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    So ?
    That number is useless in this discussion given that WoW is 10 years old.
    The only use in my view for such a figure, would be for unique players that have played the game.
    Though as to how much certainty can be had over that, I don't know.
    The game has always had a churn of players, coming and going.
    That is what that figure tells us.
    I'm just saying that both release ambiguous information.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I...i'd love to know what MMO you're comparing the story to. I know it starts slow, but it starts picking up and has its moments. Granted the 1-50 has the most valleys to the good parts, but still I always thought it was good at telling you about the world and the different factions in it.
    I just found it boring is all. Isn't my type of story, also I feel like my character has a mental problem so its hard to take it serious in the first place (Come on thurmaturge quest. Why did you let him open the jar. Seriously, just kick it off the cliff or something jesus christ.)

In terms of comparing story, I don't compare. I haven't liked really any story in any MMO. WoW had some good points (Ulduar/storm peaks, Thassaurians quest chain, etc) but mostly MMO stories stuck in my opinion. I mean granding FFXIV doesn't have as bad as a story as GW2, but its nothing I'd care about.

For reference, I'm an avid reader so videogame mediums really can't compel to much from me unless its single player story that's intriguing (Bioshock Infinite, KotoR 2, Somehow Warhammer 40k Chaos Rising... though that I attribute to godly levels of voice acting.)

I do love FFXIV boss battles though. They're pretty cool looking, if they didn't take weeks of grinding to reach.
    Last edited by Antermosiph; 2015-08-21 at 08:12 PM.

You have to consider that if we were to guess, based on the Asian "subscriber" consideration - that being that anyone who pays for about an hour or two of game time in Asia is considered a subscriber by Blizzard's definition - FFXIV still isn't close to WoW but if FFXIV only gained, say, 200k consistent subscribers that would push it up to about 800k-1mil real, monthly subscribers as opposed to WoW's likely 2-3mil monthly subscribers currently in non-Asian markets. This is with the WoW token.

Anyone who likes WoW should absolutely love that a real competitor has been knocking on their doors. If FFXIV keeps growing, this will light a fire under their asses which is absolutely desperately needed. Competition in any market is an excellent thing for consumers and even if you despise FFXIV for some reason or another you should be hoping they continue to gain popularity.

Hahaha, that is true. It seems like your character is utterly incapable of taking any action unless:

1) You're attacked.

2) Someone tells you to do something.

Yea... it drives me crazy. I usually play games aggressively if I'm able (Renegade fem-shep for life... except for ME3 cause it just made you a jerk) but in this game I feel like I'm controlling an idiot that just follows orders. Its a difficult story to care about.

I'm also a bit salt because I bought game+expansion because friends kept telling me to get it only to find out I can't even do anything with the expansion and wasted that money. Half tempted to dispute the charges on my account, get my account banned and keep the money.

Also the combat feels really slow... but I'm a BLM so that possibly explains it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    You mean 2 new dungeons to run you can run any dungeon at any level so that is wrong. There is also the primal fights and 2 modes of the raid not to mention 3 new classes, 10 added levels for existing jobs.
    Oh, so 2 modes of the same raid, and old dungeons doable at any level counts as content for FFXIV, but not WoW.

Got it, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    Oh, so 2 modes of the same raid, and old dungeons doable at any level counts as content for FFXIV, but not WoW.

Got it, sir.
    Well when the old dungeons are still relevant, give you a reason to do them and they aren't 100% faceroll then yes, we could count that as content.

Well, he did say he did it from 10-30 and in fairness hardly anything happens up to that point.

Somewhere between 30 and 40 is where it actually starts being a story in earnest.
    Eh, even the low level stuff is pretty engaging - and a lot more consistent than what a lot of other MMO's offer. It definitely improves at higher levels and throughout the expansion but there's a certain charm to the basic stuff. Every good adventure has humble roots after all!

Say what you will about them, they are one of the few mmos that have not gone f2p. The team also works very hard at developing the content. I am not saying that other teams do not, but a lot of them mentioning working 7 days a week with few breaks. Yoshida said after release he had a whole 3 day vacation which he had not in years.

They have consistently updated every 3 to 4 months with large patches which is no small feat. This is not to rag on wow, but ff might release a new expansion around the same time wow releases their new expansion. That means that in the time wow had 1 patch cycle, FF released an expansion and 4 patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Eh, even the low level stuff is pretty engaging - and a lot more consistent than what a lot of other MMO's offer. It definitely improves at higher levels and throughout the expansion but there's a certain charm to the basic stuff. Every good adventure has humble roots after all!
    This is how I feel about it as well.

There is nothing I hate more in a game than when I first start playing it and by level 10 you're the savior of your people and a great champion and victor. It's bullshit. I'm level 5, I have maybe two abilities and I have no idea what I'm doing. At this level, it would absolutely make more sense for me to be out collecting bear asses, and that's what I should be doing.

FFXIV has a very steady story-based curve like a real single-player RPG. You start out as a nobody adventurer with nothing to his/her name. By the time you're 10, you've been helping out a lot. By 14, you do something large in local scale but small in global scale, and by the time you get finished with the storyline dungeons you have the attention of the world. A few adventures later and you gradually gain the attention of others and eventually the storyline kicks off.

It's believable. You're not a hero from the get-go and if you want that then there are a billion other games that do exactly that (okay, slight estimation).

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    The difference between the two is WoW does count trial accounts and FFXIV doesn't by the way.

Still a hell of a feat for both.

I guess u haven't done the world boss's or the 4mans as well. Also if ur having problems getting gear ur doing it wrong.
    World bosses? Are you counting zerged hunts and fates as world bosses? There are two "primal" fights which are 1 boss fights with 8 people, now easily over geared by doing the FF14 version of LFR. The end-game content is 4 bosses. The 2 4 mans already have to be grinded the hell out of for the currency.

The game is fun, don't get me wrong. But there is nothing really to do right now unless you like leveling alts; so its in a similar position as WoW atm, but WoW has a combat system that encourages fun pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Aakarshan View Post
    This is how I feel about it as well.

There is nothing I hate more in a game than when I first start playing it and by level 10 you're the savior of your people and a great champion and victor. It's bullshit. I'm level 5, I have maybe two abilities and I have no idea what I'm doing. At this level, it would absolutely make more sense for me to be out collecting bear asses, and that's what I should be doing.

FFXIV has a very steady story-based curve like a real single-player RPG. You start out as a nobody adventurer with nothing to his/her name. By the time you're 10, you've been helping out a lot. By 14, you do something large in local scale but small in global scale, and by the time you get finished with the storyline dungeons you have the attention of the world. A few adventures later and you gradually gain the attention of others and eventually the storyline kicks off.

It's believable. You're not a hero from the get-go and if you want that then there are a billion other games that do exactly that (okay, slight estimation).
    I think the main issue I have is that said hero has the mental capacity of a hamster. 'You're' not anybody. You're someone who just follows orders and does nothing of their own intuition. You could literally replace your character with a robot that follows orders and gains power by doing so. Maybe I'm just super cynical but after approx 30 levels (I stopped at the point I unlocked the dungeon after the mansion one) I just grew tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    Well when the old dungeons are still relevant, give you a reason to do them and they aren't 100% faceroll then yes, we could count that as content.
    Yeah nice try but NO they do not count as content. One of the reasons I didn't even make it out of the first month of Heavensward was when I capped out I saw my prospects. Going back and doing old dungeons via roulette which were fucking BORING! Why? Because it locks you out of abilities. Hell I might have unlocked a new roulette but I wouldn't have seen it. I still couldn't even do LAST expansions roulette because it was locked into doing dungeons that when I started back playing (a couple weeks before Heavensward) I couldn't even go in them. So now I'd have to go back and unlock those old things to add them to a roulette or something? No thanks, already got bored of having to grind out that yawn fest of a story line before I could even go into the expansion content.

Want to see a good story MMO? Star Wars class stories. Too bad the rest of the game was god awful outside of that. Look I can see WHY people like FF but it has a lot of glaring issues and a small amount of new dungeons/raid bosses is a terrible idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Antermosiph View Post
    I think the main issue I have is that said hero has the mental capacity of a hamster. 'You're' not anybody. You're someone who just follows orders and does nothing of their own intuition. You could literally replace your character with a robot that follows orders and gains power by doing so. Maybe I'm just super cynical but after approx 30 levels (I stopped at the point I unlocked the dungeon after the mansion one) I just grew tired of it.
    *nods his head*

That is the only thing my character does. Well every now and then he tries to talk but no one hears him.