Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Alabama to close all but four DMVs

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in...ma_dmv_co.html

Hope you have some vacation days saved up if you need to visit one.

10+ Year Old Account
    And let me guess, you're going to need photo ID to vote there.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    "Voter ID is to ensure clean elections!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    And let me guess, you're going to need photo ID to vote there.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's about ethics in voting journalism.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't the DMV related to driving licenses? What has it got to do with elections?

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but isn't the DMV related to driving licenses? What has it got to do with elections?
    I believe it is also where you get your ID. I remember watching a program some years ago that claimed that many poor people don't vote because they can't afford the time off to go down to the DMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The GOP has been pushing in numerous states for restrictive ID laws in order to vote, ID's such as a driving license that really aren't very common in very low income populations. Given the timing and the people who closed it, it seems pretty consistent that they're closing off avenues for people with very low mobility to even get a state issued ID.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here in Georgia you get your drivers license from the State Patrol office and most if not all decent sized towns have them. Is that not how it's done in Alabama?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Here in Georgia you get your drivers license from the State Patrol office and most if not all decent sized towns have them. Is that not how it's done in Alabama?
    The majority of states give you your license through the DMV. Same with state-issued ID cards.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    wisconsin also requires you to get your id from the dmv.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I think in the US a driver's license is the most common photo ID. They do not actually have ID cards like we do in Germany, for example.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I think in the US a driver's license is the most common photo ID. They do not actually have ID cards like we do in Germany, for example.
    We do have state ID cards but they're also provided by the DMV.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

We do, just for people w/o driver's licenses.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can also get your state ID and a voter ID card from the DMV.

On-topic: It's Alabama. Are we really surprised they'd pull some shady shit like this?
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    You can also get your state ID and a voter ID card from the DMV.

On-topic: It's Alabama. Are we really surprised they'd pull some shady shit like this?
    Sounds to me like we need to cut Alabama's federal funding and watch the state sink into misery and squal -- oh, wait. It's Alabama.

The judiciary is likely to knock this back, fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    We do have state ID cards but they're also provided by the DMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    We do, just for people w/o driver's licenses.
    Well, I did say "the most common photo ID", not the only one. In Germany a driver's license is not really considered an actual photo ID. The police can actually fine you if you don't have your ID card with you. And they don't care about driver's licenses for that. Different countries, different customs.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you have to get someone to drive you 2-3 towns over to get your driver's liscence?

That's dumb. Alabama is dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I did say "the most common photo ID", not the only one. In Germany a driver's license is not really considered an actual photo ID. The police can actually fine you if you don't have your ID card with you. And they don't care about driver's licenses for that. Different countries, different customs.
    The difference being Germany is actually ashamed of its racist past. The South remains unapologetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The difference being Germany is actually ashamed of its racist past. The South remains unapologetic.
    They are aren't ashamed of their new found hatred of anything Muslim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!