Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Full Body Workouts

Considering doing full body workouts for a few months. Just looking for better overall definition.

Just a quick example:

Barbell Bench Press - Medium Grip
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Dumbbell Bench Press
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Bent Over Barbell Row
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Barbell Curl
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Dips - Triceps Version
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Hanging Leg Raise
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Barbell Squat
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Standing Calf Raises
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Don't pay too much attention to the sets/reps. How many of you do full body workouts? How have they worked for you? What do you recommend personally? etc etc

Cheers!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's usually better to focus on certain muscle groups on specific days. Think of your workout as a weeklong full-body effort.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    It's usually better to focus on certain muscle groups on specific days. Think of your workout as a weeklong full-body effort.
    Yeah, that's what I'm doing now.

Load of my mates were going on about full body workouts. Never really considered it and I don't trust Bodybuilding.com to go gauge their opinions either.

cheers,

10+ Year Old Account
    Full Body work out is bad if you do it everyday, you need time for your body to rest.

I always do running as warm up, then either do weights, or core.

Sometimes leg days, but everybody hate leg days......

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Full Body work out is bad if you do it everyday, you need time for your body to rest.

I always do running as warm up, then either do weights, or core.

Sometimes leg days, but everybody hate leg days......
    Squatting down on the loo, the day after leg day.

Dat feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kings Road View Post
    Squatting down on the loo, the day after leg day.

Dat feel.
    Had to go to college the day after leg day once, and my classroom is on the 3rd floor, and no they don't have a lift.

Going up wasn't the issue, going down however.....

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Had to go to college the day after leg day once, and my classroom is on the 3rd floor, and no they don't have a lift.

Going up wasn't the issue, going down however.....
    https://youtu.be/tyvcCdiFnYI

10+ Year Old Account
    That is exactly how it felt like lol.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do full body workouts but my focus is on endurance and power without gaining weight. I try to stay right at 100kg or within a kilo either way since that is my cutoff weight for judo and jujitsu competitions.

I five sets, each set is:
    20 regular pushups.
    15 leg lift crunches
    15 toe touch crunchs
    20 foot elevated pushups
    10 military presses
    10 standing curls
    10 clench curls
    5 flights of stairs.

I stuff my gut with clean protein after that and wait at least an hour before transition to heavy bag drills or matwork. If you are wanting to gain mass this is a bad way to do it. Outstanding for keeping what you have and looking good at a given weight...but mass gains I find are better done as isolative as possible.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2015-09-02 at 12:19 AM.

I did fullbody for some years, I did put more focus on compound movements.

I'd probably go something like:

Benchpress flat or incline (pref both)
    squat
    deadlift
    military press (pref side side laterals aswell or upright rows)
    pullups/pulldowns
    bent over barbell rows
    calf raises
    barbell curls
    french press/skullcrusher

Doing FB workouts is alot more taxing on your endurance and you might end up beeing quite tired during the end of it.

Deleted
    Why are you missing 2 of the best compounds if you are going full body? Seems kind of stupid to be missing DL and SOHP wich are 2 of the best compounds.

You also need 1 days rest for every day training like that.. I would go for something like a 2 day push/pull, do Work A on Monday and Thursday, work B on Tuesday and friday. Wednesday is for rest.

Set and rep range is stupid for fullbody. You want someting like 4 sets of 6 reps, when you can do 8, increase weight back down to 6. Rinse and repeat.

My first program was something like

Work A

Barbell benchpress
    Decline dumbbell bench press
    Sitting dumbbell shoulder press (Exchanged for SOHP when shoulder mobility gets good)
    Dumbbell side lat raises
    Close grip benchpress
    Weighted crunches

Work B

Squat
    Deadlift
    Calf raises
    BBB Rows
    Chin ups
    Cable row
    Dumbbell curls

4x6 reps, when you do 4x8 reps increase weight.

Considering doing full body workouts for a few months. Just looking for better overall definition.
    Full body is great especially for beginner / intermediate lifters. Once you get to more advanced levels, full body might not be ideal so that is when you would consider splits.

Check out the info here, it's a good start.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wik...dding_exercise

How often are you planning to work out?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    How often are you planning to work out?
    This.

If you´re working out about 3 times a week then full body would probably not be the worst. Though if you exceed 3 days a week I would tell you to consider doing a split to focus more on each muscle group.

If you want to stay with your fullbody workout I would tell you to change them up a bit. 1 workout start with squats another one with chest and 1 with back. If you always start with squat you will always be running low on energy when you reach your chest or back exercises.

I´m happy to give more info, either here or just PM me

Hope you find what you need and you can reach your goal.

I've found that using one arm or one leg exercises can help strengthen all the little balancer muscles and "core", which helps with overall strength. Just mix in some one handed pushups and one legged bodyweight squats to hit those extra muscles that wouldn't get much work otherwise.

Too much upper body and arms, you need more core and legs.

TRX suspension or swiss ball are great tools for core exercises.

You should do more than one exercise for legs. DO Squats and deaflifts, but please be careful with Deadlifts. Do some reasearch and contact some experts to guide you on how to perform deadlifts. Once you'll master deadlifts you'll get amazing results.

AND. Do not forget to do some mobility exercises. Better mobility = better performance during most workouts. When i say mobility exercise i mean a weekly workout (or regullary) where you only stretch (important with warm-up of course). Having decent mobility is very important.

Here's a rough overview of my workout plan:

Day 1 - Legs:
    - Squats (variation between sumo and regular squats), 6-10 reps x 3-6 sets.
    - Deadlifts (variation between sumo, stiff and regular deadlifts), 6-10 reps x 3-6 sets.
    - Leg raises, 10-15 sets x 3 reps.

Day 2 - Upper body:
    - Push ups (20 reps x 3 sets) or Bench Press (8-10 reps x 3 sets)
    - Hang ups w/ wide grip, 6-8 reps x 5+ set
    - Hang ups w/ close grip, 6-8 reps x 5+ set
    - Bent over barbell row, 6-8 reps x 3-4 sets
    - Standing shoulder press (6-8 reps x 3-4 set) or Handstand pushus (as many as i can do x 3 reps)

Day 3 - Core and stability:
    - Plank 1,5min x 3 sets
    - This 6-8 reps x 3 sets
    - TRX oblique crunch, 16-20 reps x 4 sets
    - Pushups in TRX suspension bands (or similar product), 6-10 reps x 3 sets.
    - one legs squats on balance board, 3 reps x 2 sets (for each leg)

Day 4 - Endurance:
    - running, jogging, swimming, cycling, hiking etc.

Day 5 - Mobility:
    - Stretches for whole body. Stretching each muscle group up to 4 min.
    Last edited by Wrien; 2015-09-09 at 10:57 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion bodybuilding forums are an invaluable resource.

As far as switching to a full body program, I think it is an excellent idea. This is especially true if you are a novice weightlifter or a weightlifter who has failed to consistently follow a program. I would suggest you follow one of the established beginning programs and pick one you like. My suggestions would be

1. Fierce 5(program that will get you very quick strength gains and is user created) This is a program I have used to gain 120lbs to my bench and 200 to my squat in less than 6 months)

2. All Pros(program that has given hundreds of people their desired results. It has a slower progression pace than F5 and because of this several people have preferred it. I would say if you do not have someone checking your form and are worried about injury you will benefit from this program.)

3. ICF(look it up, follows about the same ideology as the first two.

A few things to remember

- as a new weightlifter you have the potential to make substantial gains in your first year without working about 5-6 days a week. 3(as these programs call for) is plenty

-to see real results you need to pick a program and stick to it for a minimum of 5-6 months.
    One of the number one reason why people do not see results in the gym is because they go to the gym and perform a "bro lift" that is unproven and poorly designed. Following one of the suggested programs would ensure that this does not happen.

Hope this helped!!

Timo
    Last edited by timoteo; 2015-09-13 at 01:54 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    When I started with my trainer, he had me on full body workouts when I was only able to hit the gym 3 times a week.

They engaged my supporting muscles and were a lot more draining than isolated movements. They required a little more focus on form than machines (understatement of the year) but after going to the gym 7 times a week to get isolate movements in succession I actually prefer isolate over full body.

When you hit a muscle group after it's recovered it grows a lot faster than if you wait a week to hit it again.

TL;DR: it really depends on how often you plan on making it into the gym.
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now.

Load of my mates were going on about full body workouts. Never really considered it and I don't trust Bodybuilding.com to go gauge their opinions either.

cheers,
    When I worked out 4 days a week I would often do a full body on the last day. 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off. It worked fine when I went back to 5 days a week I stopped doing it though, not enough downtime if you are getting a solid workout each time.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account

Just a quick example:

Barbell Bench Press - Medium Grip
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Dumbbell Bench Press
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Bent Over Barbell Row
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Barbell Curl
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Dips - Triceps Version
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Hanging Leg Raise
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Barbell Squat
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Standing Calf Raises
    2-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Don't pay too much attention to the sets/reps. How many of you do full body workouts? How have they worked for you? What do you recommend personally? etc etc

Cheers!
    3 pressing exercises and 1 pulling exercise? I wouldn't recommend this program to anyone. But I do like full body workouts!