Thread: Undertale

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    I donno why people need to insist there has to be "True" ending beyond the...actual True Ending.

I mean I think it's appropriate that the actual true hero of the story, Asriel, ends up being essentially perpetually screwed over by what he did when he was a sociopath as Flowey. Not everything needs to be 100% happy sparkle ending
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2016-02-10 at 11:21 PM.

I think the issue people have is that even Asriel considers himself a different person from Flowey due to the lack of positive emotion, so it doesn't seem right Asriel has to return to eventually becoming soulless and probably sociopathic when his only crime was loving his sibling too much, especially when it's clear he desperately wants that redemption but has no way of finding it.

I personally like the idea of the "ultimate pacifist" ending, but I can understand why Toby left one final bittersweet moment (again, I'll say this until it angers people, I think he did it on purpose to inspire fanfics).

Also, relevant, I assume this is related to Game Theory's episode.

Fan theories are fun but I feel embarrassed whenever someone calls attention to something I did when I was 16
    Last edited by Veluren; 2016-02-10 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    I donno why people need to insist there has to be "True" ending beyond the...actual True Ending.

I mean I think it's appropriate that the actual true hero of the story, Asriel, ends up being essentially perpetually screwed over by what he did when he was a sociopath as Flowey. Not everything needs to be 100% happy sparkle ending
    The way I see it

He's a martyr, he'll be forever trapped but his people will be free. He's the last sacrifice, and he accepts that.

Which is why it was a satisfying ending. He made the ultimate sacrifice.

The fandom trying to finagle some nonsense about how he survives as Asriel and lives happily ever after is just so much less interesting and tragic.

It's the same thing I've noticed from the Steven Universe fandom, and to a lesser extent, Adventure Time and/or MLP or Avatar or any other huge fandom.

People seem unable to recognize that bittersweet endings can be just as good as fluffy, literally 100% of all the characters are happy, ones.

Which is why it was a satisfying ending. He made the ultimate sacrifice.

The fandom trying to finagle some nonsense about how he survives as Asriel and lives happily ever after is just so much less interesting and tragic.

It's the same thing I've noticed from the Steven Universe fandom, and to a lesser extent, Adventure Time and/or MLP or Avatar or any other huge fandom.

People seem unable to recognize that bittersweet endings can be just as good as fluffy, literally 100% of all the characters are happy, ones.
    I think that's a lot of "want what you can't get" syndrome there, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is why people who watched Game of Thrones without reading a proper well-crafted fantasy series like Malazan Book of the Fallen before found it unfathomable that main characters could die. The enormous social reaction to the death of Robb and Eddard was mind boggling to me, as if people had never read a story where well-liked characters don't survive before.

Hell, even in the realm of video games, older games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Battle don't get endings that are nicely wrapped up with a bow. Instead they get actually meaningful endings that leave you with actually complex feelings.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2016-02-11 at 12:53 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gurren Lagann.... not even 10 eps in.... just who the hell did we think he was?

In other news, even Fangamer got in on the meta-humor with their determination bundle. When you go to buy it, Flowey will appear and offer you a $1 discount. if you accept it, it changes the postcard that comes with the merch (a picture of the "I have places to go" pacifist ending) into the soulless pacifist version drawn in detail, complete with everyone looking horrified in what's presumably the last minutes of their life.

To be fair, if you know anything about the game you really should see something like that coming.
    Last edited by Veluren; 2016-02-12 at 12:47 AM.

So I've been thinking about this picking this up for awhile. It doesn't seem like my normal type of game, but the hype about this game is still going strong so my interest is piqued. Worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    So I've been thinking about this picking this up for awhile. It doesn't seem like my normal type of game, but the hype about this game is still going strong so my interest is piqued. Worth it?
    My opinion is that only you can answer that question. But I'd say it's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    My opinion is that only you can answer that question. But I'd say it's worth a try.
    Thanks! I picked up the demo for Bastion about 2 months ago and ended up not buying the game. I think it's beautiful and well done, but just didn't catch me in a good way. From everything I've read of undertale hopefully I won't have the same problem. I already have enough games I don't play in my steam library lol.