Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Are "minority," voices truly unique?

Follow along,

Much hay is made politically about the need for minority representation in everything. For example, half of congress isn't female and this is seen as a truly appalling fact. Isabel Allende for example is a fairly notable feminist activist whose spoken such things at TED talk conferences. We are told we need these unique perspectives, these unique voices, these unique people because they will have perspective that others don't. My perspective my brothers perspectives are different.

In writing and culture this is effectively the recent calls for more art and media by basically non-white, straight, men ect. These voices we are told will enrich the culture and enrich everything by bringing needed diversity. But is that what is really going on here? I bring to the floor the example of fakes. As an example, recently a white man published a poem under a pin name that was Chinese. The guy whom published it even admitted it was well received because he perceived it as a "Chinese," persons work. Or as a more distant example, a white upper class woman wrote a book about growing up as a Latina in the poorer parts of LA. Well received book, considered a really authentic piece of culture, then it was later found out to be fictional.

It begs a question though, if women right like women, black people write black, ect ect, and that is why we need these topical lens' these diverse perspectives, than why are they so easy to fake? Why can't people, particularly progressive people and activists with strong eyes and hearts for social justice and progressive politics, spot the fake?

Is the pursuit of diverse voices genuine? It seems that people are more looking for a diverse looking image to state pre-agreed upon stereotypes of what people already think. Certainly my Womans Studies Class (That I am made to take for credits) wants a woman president, but probably would not want say Sarah Palin as that woman president.

Deleted
    No, they can be just like anyone else.

The word that person was looking for is "different," not "unique."

Deleted
    Some black uneducated blacklifesmatter activist vs bernie sanders who has something more worthwhile to say and who should speak first?

Deleted
    Well both Deloitte and McKinsey have found that teams with diversity of gender outperform teams made of a single gender quite drastically.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4f4b3c8e-d...44feabdc0.html

I don't think it's so much about "having minorities", just a case that if your team has a diversity of backgrounds and world views you're more likely to be able to develop a better solution.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    The word that person was looking for is "different," not "unique."
    In what way are they different?

And if they are different? Why so easily faked?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    Well both Deloitte and McKinsey have found that teams with diversity of gender outperform teams made of a single gender quite drastically.

I don't think it's so much about "having minorities", just a case that if your team has a diversity of backgrounds and world views you're more likely to be able to develop a better solution.
    We are talking about voices here though.

Do say, Women have a unique voice? A unique perspective? What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post

Except in the military LOL

Deleted
    Except in the military LOL
    Well in front line military deployments I highly doubt people are selected because they're able to provide alternate viewpoints

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Different is in relation to the norm. Unique is singular to that specific person.

If you believe something like the media is mostly driven by men, then women would likely do things differently. Unique would be one specific woman having a distinct perspective that isn't common among other men and women.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2015-10-07 at 11:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Isn't this were prejudice against minorities come in? If they voice something different that the majority don't agree with they are singled out?

/conspiracies

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunken View Post
    Different is in relation to the norm. Unique is singular to that specific person.
    How would they be different?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    Isn't this were prejudice against minorities come in? If they voice something different they that more people don't agree with they are singled out?

/conspiracies
    Plausibly?

But by whom and from whom can we get the "authentic," perspective. And once we have it written down... well... does it really matter who enacts say their policies or ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post

- - - Updated - - -

They are different. It's obvious. Everything can be faked, it's not just diversity. Being able to fake something doesn't imply it's authentic. It implies that you know something about another culture.

Deleted
    Personal experience can only give insight never validity on it's own.

Deleted
    Yes of course if you're a strong independent black transwoman who don't need no man your voice is praised as the word of God because otherwise it would be racist.

7+ Year Old Account
    They are different. It's obvious. Everything can be faked, it's not just diversity. Being able to fake something doesn't imply it's authentic. It implies that you know something about another culture.
    But do you?

Okay as an example, If I know what a particular audience thinks a group of people thinks and then I go create this persona of person X whom says what they conjecture people like X are like, than is that authentic?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Yes of course if you're a strong independent black transwoman who don't need no man your voice is praised as the word of God because otherwise it would be racist.
    And what would happen if a proud independent trans woman of color wrote a truly ground breaking piece of art, something that really speaks, that progressives across the world can hold up as the authentic seminal piece of work representing that culture, but than it is revealed, nope Straight White Male Cis Shitlord wrote it while grooming his neckbeard.

Deleted
    Promotion of diversity is only beneficial if it counteracts nepotism aka if it promotes people with different backgrounds based on merits not on arbitrary factors like the color of their skin.

10+ Year Old Account
    People look for diversity because it enriches their workplace culture. They gain perspectives they would otherwise not have. It isn't a specified set, there is no women write like women or blacks write black, they just bring something different from the status quo to the table. Diversity really helps us grow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedia View Post
    People look for diversity because it enriches their workplace culture. They gain perspectives they would otherwise not have. It isn't a specified set, there is no women write like women or blacks write black, they just bring something different from the status quo to the table. Diversity really helps us grow.
    So if a person sucks in bookkeeping but is a black woman it becomes beneficial because it brings diversity?

People go to work not to gain a cultural experience that is what holidays and travels are for.
    Same for political opinions this kind of diversity is irrelevant.

Having 50% female construction workers does not suddenly enriches the workplace culture or is beneficial quite the oposite is more likely.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2015-10-08 at 12:07 AM.