Thoughts on a GPU change

So I've been contemplating replacing my 770 GTX 2GB SLI setup for a single 980 Ti.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Many reviews show a single 770 GTX in their list but not a SLI setup vs single card.

15+ Year Old Account
    It'll be a huge upgrade and well worth it. With all the issues associated with SLI/Crossfire, it's better to just have a single powerhouse card any day of the week.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted
    What resolution you playing at? If its 1080p then its waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    What resolution you playing at? If its 1080p then its waste of money.
    Not sure i'd consider it a waste when some newer games won't fit into the 4GB of space between my two cards (Looking at you GTA5)

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah not a waste of money at all. Some games will utilize it and some gaming mods (Skyrim, GTA5) will utilize it. I have a 970 and I game on 1080. I have a slew of Skyrim visual mods I can't use bc it hits my GPU too hard. It's all perspective. I'm upgrading to a 980ti this xmas because of that reason.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Not sure i'd consider it a waste when some newer games won't fit into the 4GB of space between my two cards (Looking at you GTA5)
    You don't have 4gb of vram, you have 2gb, when you sli your vram doesn't double, you have as much as the one has or if different the one with the lowest.

And yes you will see some benefit in new AAA titles but it wont be night and day difference. That can't justify the amount of money of a gtx980 ti at 1080p. Your money of course, you can spend them as you want. My opinion as a person that even buys parts over my needs at times is that not worth it.

If you were saying that you were going to buy a 1440p monitor and make the jump with a 980ti i would say go for it, it would an entirely different thing.

You don't have 4gb of vram, you have 2gb, when you sli your vram doesn't double, you have as much as the one has or if different the one with the lowest.

And yes you will see some benefit in new AAA titles but it wont be night and day difference. That can't justify the amount of money of a gtx980 ti at 1080p. Your money of course, you can spend them as you want. My opinion as a person that even buys parts over my needs at times is that not worth it.

If you were saying that you were going to buy a 1440p monitor and make the jump with a 980ti i would say go for it, it would an entirely different thing.
    This is not the case with GTA5. When tinkering with the options in the game it sees and allows adjustments in your settings for all 4 GB.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is not the case with GTA5. When tinkering with the options in the game it sees and allows adjustments in your settings for all 4 GB.
    You still have 2gb, it's how SLI works. If you go over the 2gb (which I'd say is pretty rare at 1080p), your cards will store the exceeding data at your RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    You still have 2gb, it's how SLI works. If you go over the 2gb (which I'd say is pretty rare at 1080p), your cards will store the exceeding data at your RAM.
    Wouldn't that cause the game to run choppy? It sure as hell does when I exceed 4 in the settings for the game.

Deleted
    But you dont have 4gb vram to start with man, they don't add up. You got 2gb on each one, each serves its own gpu.

But you dont have 4gb vram to start with man, they don't add up. You got 2gb on each one, each serves its own gpu.
    We already established this. I am trying to understand WHY GTA5 would show the total amount of VRAM.

15+ Year Old Account
    DX12 / Vulkan will change this to actually be added up but for now it is indeed as Kostattoo says.

GTA 5 will only show an estimate of what you need with which settings to run optimally. It doesn't (or SHOULDN'T) show that you have 4GB of VRAM if you have 2GB on each card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't that cause the game to run choppy? It sure as hell does when I exceed 4 in the settings for the game.
    You normally don't exceed 4 not even playing at 3840x2160. If it did then the Fijis would be terrible cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    DX12 / Vulkan will change this to actually be added up but for now it is indeed as Kostattoo says.

GTA 5 will only show an estimate of what you need with which settings to run optimally. It doesn't (or SHOULDN'T) show that you have 4GB of VRAM if you have 2GB on each card.
    http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...77AF21F9C6D33/

SLI off shows 2GB. SLI on shows 4GB.

Damn you confusing game!
    o_O