Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Feel slightly deceived by Hulu

I decided to upgrade to the ad-free service, and for the most part, it's been well worth it (the time saved quickly justifies the 4 dollars). However, the original Hulu is called "limited ads" and this claims to be totally ad-free. But it's not.

http://www.slashgear.com/hang-on-hul...-ads-03401495/

To make double-sure you know what's going on here and that not every show is commercial free, Hulu says they'll include notes on these "specific shows that still have commercials accessible through the No Commercials plan" throughout the signup, switching, and playback experience.

These shows are as follows,
    • Grey’s Anatomy
    • Once Upon A Time
    • Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    • Scandal
    • Grimm
    • New Girl
    • How To Get Away With Murder
    I noticed this when watching SHIELD. Granted, it was a much shorter commercial (like, 30 seconds) and it's only one (one at the end, but you don't need to watch it), but it still leaves me feeling like they basically lied about it, since no mention of this was made. Only claims of being completely ad-free.

I understand why they have to do it, and it's only on a small selection (over half of which are ones my family watches), but it still seems shady that they made no mention of it. It's still worth the money, it's just a minor grievance.

Yup, Hulu is a bunch of bastards who can't be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    I decided to upgrade to the ad-free service, and for the most part, it's been well worth it (the time saved quickly justifies the 4 dollars). However, the original Hulu is called "limited ads" and this claims to be totally ad-free. But it's not.

I noticed this when watching SHIELD. Granted, it was a much shorter commercial (like, 30 seconds) and it's only one (one at the end, but you don't need to watch it), but it still leaves me feeling like they basically lied about it, since no mention of this was made. Only claims of being completely ad-free.

I understand why they have to do it, and it's only on a small selection (over half of which are ones my family watches), but it still seems shady that they made no mention of it. It's still worth the money, it's just a minor grievance.
    write your congressman

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    write your congressman
    It would actually make more sense to write to Hulu. But as I said, it's still worth the money. It's just deceptive marketing.

all of that info is available, easy to find and displayed up front before you do the switch (at least i saw all the disclaimers before i switched plans) so I'm wondering why you feel deceived

On some shows they are literally forced to put a commercial before and after the show. I have the same package and you and LITERALLY love it. Hulu blows Netflix away specifically on tv series.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Hulu only wins when it comes to TV shows. Netflix has the same shows, but you don't get episodes until the season is over. Some like it that way, some don't. A lot of the "primetime" networks also stream their shows for free, its usually within 24hrs if you have a cable subscription or maybe a week if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    all of that info is available, easy to find and displayed up front before you do the switch (at least i saw all the disclaimers before i switched plans) so I'm wondering why you feel deceived
    I didn't sign up for it (someone else in the house did), and most people don't read all of the ToS when they join something. It just seems like something they should have an asterisk for on the main sign up page because it literally says NO ads. It's significant enough that it should be on http://www.hulu.com/nocommercials somewhere.

But like I said, it wouldn't have changed my decision, I just feel it was kind of shady to make it seem like there will be no commercials when they really mean "almost no commercials." I don't like the use of absolutes when they aren't completely true.

oh really?

good thing i dont watch those shows

10+ Year Old Account
    Read the fine print beyond the initial banner saying no ads and you would have seen it.

Also, as for Hulu vs Netflix, Netflix rarely gets access to any current primetime tv shows, while Hulu seems to focus on that. The quality difference is also rather substantial. There also actually isn't a lot of crossover between them, if you look closely at their lineups.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm? I thought about signing up the other day and seen it without even really bothering to look for it. Look harder next time?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.hulu.com/help/articles/52427902

The FAQ button at the bottom works wonders. It's about 10 pixels below the "click here to start" button.

They also make the claim that you get the shows uninterrupted, which you do, as these adverts play before and after the show, so the show is still uninterrupted.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.

I upgraded, and it was perfectly clear that the mentioned shows would still have commercials. Wasn't even fine print...Hulu was very up-front about it.

The reality is that Hulu was not able to negotiate no commercials for those properties. It was still worth the $4 / mo to eliminate the commercials from 95% of what we watch and only have very few commercials on a couple of shows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    I upgraded, and it was perfectly clear that the mentioned shows would still have commercials. Wasn't even fine print...Hulu was very up-front about it.

The reality is that Hulu was not able to negotiate no commercials for those properties. It was still worth the $4 / mo to eliminate the commercials from 95% of what we watch and only have very few commercials on a couple of shows.
    Bit more than 95%. 7 shows, only a few of which have over three seasons. I also just opened one to confirm for myself, but it isn't like those chain 60 second commercials that free viewers get on shows... got 30 seconds, 22 seconds, and then 30 seconds again. Commercials at the start and end for 42-44 minute shows. So.... ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    http://www.hulu.com/help/articles/52427902

The FAQ button at the bottom works wonders. It's about 10 pixels below the "click here to start" button.

They also make the claim that you get the shows uninterrupted, which you do, as these adverts play before and after the show, so the show is still uninterrupted.
    I guess I just didn't think to do it, I just assumed it would be exactly as they said: no ads. It never occurred to me that it wouldn't be exactly as they said. I only use an FAQ if I have a question I need answered. I'm not saying the information isn't available at all, of course it is.

It's still not a big deal. And I doubt all of you noticed it without being told about it before signing up (assuming you even signed up for it) but it's easy enough to pretend you did, it does make you sound smarter online.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    There also actually isn't a lot of crossover between them, if you look closely at their lineups.
    Well, I think every show listed in the OP is also available on Netflix...just not the current season.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Well, I think every show listed in the OP is also available on Netflix...just not the current season.
    True, but in terms of scale each feature thousands of tv shows and movies.

Based on what I can see there and my poor understanding of New Zealand advertising law, I'm pretty sure this would be in violation. Important information like that shouldn't be hidden in the last quarter of the FAQ.

Shame other countries don't have as neat advertising laws.

I didn't sign up for it (someone else in the house did)

But like I said, it wouldn't have changed my decision
    How could you change the decision, when you apparently didn't sign up for it?

You're bitching about deceptive marketing for a product you didn't purchase. Did the person who purchased it bother to check?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a small handful of shows in a MASSIVE catalogue. I'm watching airing anime, old Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff commercial free and binging. I do watch Agents of Shield, but one commercial at the start is far better than the previous billion we used to get...and it's something I read and knew about going into it.

if you're someone that wants to binge watch stuff Hulu has in abundance that other streaming services don't, it's a no brainer.