Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

should the president of the U.S. have more power/say.

It's that time of the year again in the USA where a few pokiticans basically begin pandering to become the next president of the united states. Every news sites always ask the something though. What would a new president bring to government.

And I think this to myself, why does this matter? In the end the president is just the figurehead for if the country fucks up, we have one person to blame. Yes when it comes to use of the military they have a bigger say, but outside of the middle east and parts of africa military might isn't really needed.

So honestly for all this pandering do you think the president should be given more power in laws instead of just a mouth piece.
    Last edited by Shadowspire; 2015-10-19 at 12:43 AM.

I'd rather quite a bit less power.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I think the Potus has the right amount of power.

It depends on which party has the white house and what is the party affiliation of the person you ask.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Presidents don't have the power to make changes and yet get all the blame.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Presidents don't have the power to make changes and yet get all the blame.
    I can see why all the best people try to get the office!
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowspire View Post
    sip
    You don't seem to be very clear on the powers of the Executive. Which have historically been expanded SIGNIFICANTLY, for better or worse.

But most people are also unaware of how spending and taxation works. Neither of the two are up to the Executive really. The one place where the Executive can and does actively waste piles of money is Military spending, albeit indirectly.

While the Executive doesn't actually determines how much is spent on the military, it does have a large amount of influence on it, by having the ability to go to war or engage in military deployments. The American Legislative on the other hand hasn't met a war they would not fund, unconditionally. The only military related spending that is difficult to pass through Congress is spending on Veterans. Ironically.

The American Government LOVES Veterans. At least it loves creating them, but actually taking care of them...that's different.

The President has quite a bit more power than a basic citizenship/government class would let on. The White House Staff and the Executive Office of the Presidency (both distinct from the executive bureaucracy) are incredibly powerful tools that answer directly and only to the President. The President effectively controls the implementation of every law passed by Congress, and if Congress is dissatisfied with how the President does so, it is incredibly difficult for them to change anything. The President nominates candidates to the Supreme Court, which has the final say on many of the divisive issues faced by the nation (though I will say that the Court is far less political than many people would like to argue; differences in interpretive philosophy account for the vast majority of divisions among the Court's members).

Personally, I'm in favor of the President having less power than the office currently possesses.

The Presidency has far, far too much power as it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    What would a Jew president bring to government.
    Gefilte fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Gefilte fish.
    I never understood the bad rap Gefilte Fish gets. I always liked Gefilte Fish. But not those weird balls of stuffing, but rather the whole fish+stuffing+jelly.

No.
    Fuck no.
    Hell fucking no.

The US Presidency should be abolished.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    No.
    Fuck no.
    Hell fucking no.

So you want to rule by committee because you can't win that office? No thanks. Your committee just sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I never understood the bad rap Gefilte Fish gets. I always liked Gefilte Fish. But not those weird balls of stuffing, but rather the whole fish+stuffing+jelly.
    Can't say I've ever tried it. It was the only typical Jewish food I could think of, apart from those dumpling things, but I didn't know what they were called.

Deleted
    Three equal branches

10+ Year Old Account
    yes if its a president you support, no its a president you dont support

that is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    yes if its a president you support, no its a president you dont support

that is the answer.
    I support Obama in a lot of things but I still think that the office is too powerful for a large democracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is it to powerful exactly?

Our current president for example has had majoirty of his wishes shut down or edited to the point it's not even his law. I get he is the one who calls the to war button and does have some power. But when it comes mainly to laws in the us, he has to go though someone else, usaully someone who is partially corrupt anyway or will refuse to even bring it to vote. So if no one minds, please name all the things the president can actually do without someone else say in it, besides declaring war.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Can't say I've ever tried it. It was the only typical Jewish food I could think of, apart from those dumpling things, but I didn't know what they were called.
    Kreplach. Never understood why they are served in soup tho. Takes away all the flavor of the filling.

- - - Updated - - -

How is it to powerful exactly?

Our current president for example has had majoirty of his wishes shut down or edited to the point it's not even his law. I get he is the one who calls the to war button and does have some power. But when it comes mainly to laws in the us, he has to go though someone else, usaully someone who is partially corrupt anyway or will refuse to even bring it to vote. So if no one minds, please name all the things the president can actually do without someone else say in it, besides declaring war.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_order

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    No.
    Fuck no.
    Hell fucking no.

Replace it with what? You realize every government on Earth is run by an Executive officer. Not just governments, but corporations and so on. Pretty much every organization of sufficient size.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Kreplach.
    No need to be rude.

Never understood why they are served in soup tho. Takes away all the flavor of the filling.
    Apparently what I was thinking of are called Matzah balls.