Question What foreign country or culture is the most intriguing in your opinion?

I've always been interested in Chinese culture and history, still haven't visited that country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Japan. The intense mix of tradition and technology. How does that even work? Also North Korea for obvious reasons.

I believe in the absolute and utter superiority of Western civilization.

I find Russia and the Middle East study worthy. I'm especially interested in the Middle East due to the historical overlap it has with Western Civilization and because of its complexity. It's one of the cultures that I think has a lot of potential in its future if it manages to suppress its religious and sectarian tendencies. It has happened once before to a degree, during the Pan-Arabic era between the 1920's to the 1960's. Maybe it can happen again, but this time they could make it last and develop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Japan. The history is rather interesting

10+ Year Old Account
    Germany 10/characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably Japan. If I had to do my life over I'd move to Japan after finishing college and work there. I could've easily moonlighted as a well hung white bull for little Jap girls to cuck there husbands with. That would've been nice.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Germany

I need to study the beer a bit more

hmmm Persian/Iranian. it just sucks that country would have a laundry list of reasons to hang me.

Japan. It's pretty different from the US but in a good way. In the US everything is about the individual, in Japan it's all about the community, sounds like a small thing but it makes a huge difference. And there are other things. Any Asian country really.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    The United States of America.

Back in uni we cultivated a pretty deep sentiment towards Japan being exactly that: intriguing. I had a teacher that would often say we can understand their abstractions, but we'll never feel like a Japanese and our cultural copies will be but void parodies.

15+ Year Old Account
    The east (Japan and China) is interesting to me because it's so foreign. The US is interesting because it's somehow very familiar yet still has very different values. The old (now much less visible) Middle Eastern culture is fascinating because of it's history... I think there's some things that are very intriguing about most cultures, including the one where I live, hard to pick a "winner".

I think I'll go with China. The level of modernity coupled with their traditionalism is pretty unique.

10+ Year Old Account
    Japanese - while the rest of the world burns from the cultural enrichment they will be setting off into space, keeping their own culture as it is.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

I'm really into Latin American culture, especially into Andean and Bolivian culture.

Korean culture (the Best Korean one), I'd like to experience some of it. Love the food Koreans make, too. And heated floors. Everyone could use one in their lives.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

Deleted
    Japan/Korea/China/Taiwan

basically the East

Deleted
    Central Europe & England - the rich medieval history in particular. One day I'll embark on a proper cultural tour and visit as many of the medieval castles, cathedrals and museums as possible in England, France, Germany and their surroundings.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Central Europe & England - the rich medieval history in particular. One day I'll embark on a proper cultural tour and visit as many of the medieval castles, cathedrals and museums as possible in England, France, Germany and their surroundings.
    Just for you

(Burg Hohenzollern)

10+ Year Old Account
    Modern Japan. They should be emulated by all other nations. They kind of took the concept of the American Dream and ran with it, good job, guys!

As for all time cultures, Rome. Before Constantine ruined it. Arguably the pinnacle of civilization. Absolute power in the form of an emperor is the ideal form of government, as even the crazy wackos like Nero serving as examples to teach their successors as to what NOT to do. Philosophers like Marcus Aurelius would work to create a utopia, where all roads are straight and the entire world is open to all under one flag. I honestly can't think of anything Rome did wrong.