10+ Year Old Account

Coming back go GW2 for the expansion.

When I started playing GW2 back at launch, I enjoyed the game thoroughly until I hit max level and realized there was nothing to do in terms of progression. I sort of knew what i was getting into, but I enjoyed the leveling/exploring part anyway.

Sure I could get some shiny gear at level 80 (visually) but that was that. I realized that I was spoiled too much by other MMOs where you had to pull out hard work (in terms of time rather than skill though sadly) for a minor boost in stats which translated into more dps/hps/tanking etc. For GW2 it was only about optimizing damage according to your build and it took hardly a week to set it up right.

I had to quit shortly after. It was a great game, but sadly not for me.

So my question is, have things changed? Does a fresh level 80 char (with the right runes/augments) pull out the same amount of DPS as a vet-30-days-in-heroic-geared char in dungeons specifically? I know everyone is on equal footing in PvP so that's irrelevant to my question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm hard to fully say but no not really not if you mean a longtime regular player

They will likely have legendaries/ascended gear which takes awhile to get and you cannot just buy(legendary weapons aside but we are talking several hundred dollars worth of gold or several thousabd gold straight up)

That said the stat disparity is not CRAZY high buut I do feel a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm makes sense. But again the minor disparity is not something I'd be working hours towards; nuh-uh not worth. I guess I'll just keep on F2Ping GW2 pvp then.

I still play WoW but only log in for the weekly raid these days. My situation with GW2 is pretty much identical to yours, but 3 weeks ago I picked up HoT to alleviate my MMO boredome. To answer your question directly, no I don't think things have changed. The new raid was released today and Anet them selves stated its perfectly viable for characters in full exotic gear (which is easily obtainable with a small monetary investment through the TP) to complete the raid. Full ascendant gear is a super minor increase in performance, <10%, I don't know the exact figure but its something in that region that requires a significant amount of resources from the player.

But in saying that, if you enjoyed your time with GW2 at launch, you'll definitely enjoy HoT. The four new maps are amazing in both aesthetic and gameplay level design. Anet really took it to another level with these maps, something I was really not expecting. They've also improved their story telling experience, I was actually somewhat invested in the story this time compared to the borefest that was the base GW2 story. I've sunk a tonne of hours (more than I care to admit) in the last 3 weeks and its been a great experience. My advice is if you want to play this game, don't treat it as a hardcore PvE mmo. Imo WoW does that better, and provides a more rewarding PvE progression experience in the form of gear upgrades and their well designed raids. What GW2 provides/excels in is awesome open world content, their combat system and armor/weapon design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MintChocCip View Post
    I still play WoW but only log in for the weekly raid these days. My situation with GW2 is pretty much identical to yours, but 3 weeks ago I picked up HoT to alleviate my MMO boredome. To answer your question directly, no I don't think things have changed. The new raid was released today and Anet them selves stated its perfectly viable for characters in full exotic gear (which is easily obtainable with a small monetary investment through the TP) to complete the raid. Full ascendant gear is a super minor increase in performance, <10%, I don't know the exact figure but its something in that region that requires a significant amount of resources from the player.

But in saying that, if you enjoyed your time with GW2 at launch, you'll definitely enjoy HoT. The four new maps are amazing in both aesthetic and gameplay level design. Anet really took it to another level with these maps, something I was really not expecting. They've also improved their story telling experience, I was actually somewhat invested in the story this time compared to the borefest that was the base GW2 story. I've sunk a tonne of hours (more than I care to admit) in the last 3 weeks and its been a great experience. My advice is if you want to play this game, don't treat it as a hardcore PvE mmo. Imo WoW does that better, and provides a more rewarding PvE progression experience in the form of gear upgrades and their well designed raids. What GW2 provides/excels in is awesome open world content, their combat system and armor/weapon design.
    I disagree in a few areas for one it feels like HoT has made it harder to just run/do random crap. Enemies are harder(not a bad thing) and events and hero points are HEAVILY group based

Considering how they are tied to elite specs not exactly a good thing in some ways.

As far as WoW goes ehhh disagree there but that discussions not for here

And I know some groups who are requiring Ascended gear in specific styles

That said it is still easy to hop in and out of moredo then most mmos and I do recommend it for that