Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Women more strongly associate Internet activities with infidelity than men

http://psychcentral.com/news/2015/10...ity/93026.html

A new study explores the impact of Internet infidelity among couples. The findings reveal strong gender differences in how online cheating is perceived with women more strongly associating Internet activities with infidelity and finding these activities far more distressing.

The study, conducted by researchers from the Open University in the U.K., was based on an anonymous online survey of 20 to 73-year-olds who had direct experience with Internet infidelity, either having engaged in it themselves or having found out that their partner had done so.

The aim of the research was to improve understanding and awareness for both the public and marriage counselors at a time when there are growing opportunities to participate in activity online which could lead to infidelity.

The findings confirmed that many participants think that the Internet makes infidelity more likely. For example, the Internet makes covert contact with another person easy and has a disinhibiting effect, making it easier to engage in behavior that might be avoided in real life.

“I have a deep mistrust in the Internet, and feel it massively facilitates infidelity,” said one participant whose husband at the time had had an online affair. “My ex-husband is inherently a very shy man, but online he is able to act much more confidently and attract the attention of other women. I strongly believe he would not have had so many affairs without the Internet.”

The findings also showed that online cheating can be extremely addicting.

“I tried to stop but neither of us could, it would start again and since so easy, with all the technology we carry around it was an amazingly comforting and sexy thing to have,” said another participant. “With long working hours an online relationship is like fast food, ready when we are, naughty, cheap, very often eaten alone without the exhaustion of social niceties.”

Another participant wrote, “Probably — if we hadn’t have established & maintained any sort of contact online — the affair would not have started — as we very rarely bumped into each other.”

The findings also revealed that the effects of Internet infidelity can be as traumatic and wounding as face-to-face adultery, with many participants detailing their ongoing distress and describing the online infidelity as a relationship-ending event.

“What our research has revealed is that men and women do see Internet infidelity differently. But it is not just a gender divide — what is experienced as infidelity online can vary from person to person. What might be seen as casual chatting by one partner, is hurtful and disloyal to the other for instance,” said researcher Dr. Andreas Vossler.

“With the Internet and social media now being part of everyday life in the Western world, there are growing opportunities for partners to engage in online behaviors and activities that may be considered unfaithful in the context of a committed relationship (including e.g. cybersex, exchanging sexual self-images, online flirting, and dating).”

“This matters because infidelity commonly causes significant relationship distress and can have a negative and deteriorating effect on marriages and families,” said Vossler.

The evidence shows that couples in a committed relationship may, in order to prevent future misunderstandings, now have to think about expressing their attitudes towards social media and keeping it a topic for ongoing discussion — just as a couple might negotiate an agreement on the desire for children or marriage, noted researcher Dr. Naomi Moller.
    Definitely a painful issue that could happen to some of us in the future.

Do you think the internet has made it easier for you to have affairs and do you plan to do so in the future?

Deleted
    What is it with these misandric threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    What do you mean? It's an interesting study that is relevant to most of us.

“I have a deep mistrust in the Internet, and feel it massively facilitates infidelity,” said one participant whose husband at the time had had an online affair. “My ex-husband is inherently a very shy man, but online he is able to act much more confidently and attract the attention of other women. I strongly believe he would not have had so many affairs without the Internet.”

hahhaha

So many affairs. Blames the internet, and not herself, for most likely being a rigid, asexual, crazy cat lady in grey pajamas.

15+ Year Old Account
    The study, conducted by researchers from the Open University in the U.K., was based on an anonymous online survey of 20 to 73-year-olds who had direct experience with Internet infidelity, either having engaged in it themselves or having found out that their partner had done so.
    So how is anything in this study supposed to be indicative of any general attitudes? Of course they have this view, they've already experienced it.

If I block the topic starter, does the topic still get listed on the frontpage for me?

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    So, someone blames the internet for all their relationship problems... how is this even relevant?
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Something I've been wondering as well. I also don't understand how someone can be interested in such topics (male vs. female/feminism/whatever) or discussions in the slightest. Maybe I'm just that much different of a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    If I block the topic starter, does the topic still get listed on the frontpage for me?
    No, it doesn't. It's better to just report the topic and perhaps the mods will take action against his trolling.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What do you mean? It's an interesting study that is relevant to most of us.
    Highly subjective.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

These threads get better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart Maiden View Post
    No, it doesn't. It's better to just report the topic and perhaps the mods will take action against his trolling.
    So basically theres nothing I can do D: thanks.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think he's trolling, I think he just has no clue how to spot a bad study/article :/

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Something I've been wondering as well. I also don't understand how someone can be interested in such topics (male vs. female/feminism/whatever) or discussions in the slightest. Maybe I'm just that much different of a person.
    I agree with you, i've no idea how someone can be interested in such topics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    So how is anything in this study supposed to be indicative of any general attitudes? Of course they have this view, they've already experienced it.

So you'd go take a survey of amazon tribes as to whether speeding contributes to car accidents? That's your logic right?

This isn't trolling. You derailing an interesting thread is trolling.

Deleted
    There's nothing wrong with the topic or the study, it's not really much worse than a lot of other bad research studies that have carried far more weight.

I just don't really see the point of contention.

Yes, the internet does make it easier to cheat. Yes, it makes it much easier for men to cheat in particular since it gives even shy men regular access to women.

So what, would be my question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the topic or the study, it's not really much worse than a lot of other bad research studies that have carried far more weight.

I just don't really see the point of contention.

Yes, the internet does make it easier to cheat. Yes, it makes it much easier for men to cheat in particular since it gives even shy men regular access to women.

So what, would be my question.
    Good knowledge to have if you see your shy wife or husband suddenly using the internet a lot more and acting differently.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    So basically theres nothing I can do D: thanks.
    Well, they do say to report incidents... I like to think that the mods at least try to do their job. That's why I report when it's relevant and directly against the descriptions in their rules. After that, all we can do is rely on their moderation team... That said, I heard that they were looking for applications for new moderators a while ago. I don't really keep up with that stuff too much, but that would suggest that they're understaffed.
    ~~ ~~

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    So you'd go take a survey of amazon tribes as to whether speeding contributes to car accidents? That's your logic right?
    Hah, what?

If you want to find out how men and women feel about internet and infidelity, you can't only question people who have experienced it. You're only going to get the blatantly obvious answer that people who have been cheated on through the internet don't like being cheated on through the internet.

If they did a survey of 1000 men and women at random, that'd be far more interesting. This is just more useless clickbait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    "Waaaah waaaah, I wouldn't have cheated if I didn't go out of my way to search for online relationships and actively seek them. Internet baaaaaaaaaaad"
    Did you even read the article?