Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

What Are the Most Liberal And What Are The Most Conservative Countries In The World?

What are the most conservative and what are the most liberal countries in the world?

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not one straight line, I think it's impossible to say.

in order

Saudi Arabia...Switzerland (maybe Sweden or Canada)
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Liberal isn't the opposite of conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    When can you be liberal and conservative at the exact same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Sweden, ofc.
    Makes me think - Japan might fit in both. It's such a mix of the ancient traditions and bleeding edge modernity.
    Last edited by Kraenen; 2015-11-02 at 08:50 PM.

Deleted
    Sweden, ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    in order

Dunno, Switzerland is quite conservative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Dunno, Switzerland is quite conservative.
    There is conservative... And then there is cut people's hands off with a sword because they stole something or stoning adulterers to death based on 1400 year old texts conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Thanks for your contribution. Not sure why you felt the need to counter a claim that wasn't made in this thread but OK. Anyway liberalism stand opposite conservatism on the social political spectrum, and I presume that is the aspect the OP is asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    in order

Saudi Arabia as the most conservative? Yes, definitely.

Switzerland as the most liberal? No I think not. Not my homeland of Sweden either, I'm sorry to say. I'd say Canada is the most liberal country in the world. Their Liberal Party (which is the good kind of liberal at that) has ruled their country for most of its existence, similar to how the Social Democratic party have run Sweden for most of our modern era (20th century 'til now). Add to that that Canada had the sense to elect a Liberal majority government amidst a world that seem to turn more and more in the opposite direction, at least if you look at Europe and the Republican Presidential Primaries... Anyway, Canada's society show their liberal nature, with taxation as a percentage of GDP historically much lower than Social Democratic countries like the Nordic ones (~32% vs. 45%+), while having a liberal attitude to minority rights and immigration, just to name a few markers.
    Last edited by Zarc; 2015-11-02 at 09:04 PM.

Deleted
    Sweden, so tolerant.
    Most conservative hmm Saudi Arabia?

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't Sweden liberal utopia? Well, when you take liberalism to the extreme end. Can't think of a super conservative country. Russia, North Korea, something in the middle east?

Socially conservative? Asia or Africa I think. Lots of people in Japan think there are no Japanese gays, that gayness is a Western thing. And a lot of countries in Africa you can get put in jail if you're gay.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Need to narrow down the question. Fiscally or socially?

And conservative =/= draconian.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by I am me not you View Post
    What are the most conservative and what are the most liberal countries in the world?
    This is probably the one list that would match closest to your question - http://www.socialprogressimperative....dim1,dim2,dim3

Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Iceland, and New Zealand are the most progressive

Central African Republic, Chad, Afghanistan, Guinea, and Angola are the least progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    Switzerland as the most liberal? No I think not. Not my homeland of Sweden either, I'm sorry to say. I'd say Canada is the most liberal country in the world. Their Liberal Party (which is the good kind of liberal at that) has ruled their country for most of its existence, similar to how the Social Democratic party have run Sweden for most of our modern era (20th century 'til now). Add to that that Canada had the sense to elect a Liberal majority government amidst a world that seem to turn more and more in the opposite direction, at least if you look at Europe and the Republican Presidential Primaries... Anyway, Canada's society show their liberal nature, with taxation as a percentage of GDP historically much lower than Social Democratic countries like the Nordic ones (~32% vs. 45%+), while having a liberal attitude to minority rights and immigration, just to name a few markers.
    I'm not sure how having a really restrictive system for immigration is liberal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, i think north korea is the most conservative one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I don't know about ranking them, but here are some good examples of each

Conservative - China, Russia, Saudi Arabia

Liberal - Sweden, Canada, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    When can you be liberal and conservative at the exact same time?
    If promoting traditional values, also promoted liberty and equality then you could theoretically be liberal and conservative simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    I'm not sure how having a really restrictive system for immigration is liberal.
    Either you misread my post, or you think Canada has a restrictive immigration system. Which obviously is not the case. Migrants per 1,000 population for Canada was at 5.66, just ahead of Sweden at 5.46, and just below Australia at 5.74 for 2014. The difference of course being that Sweden's immigration rate is unusually high for us in recent years, while it's business as usual for Canada and Australia (Canada: 5.65, Australia: 6.13, Swdeden: 1.65 in 2010 for example).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    Either you misread my post, or you think Canada has a restrictive immigration system.
    Canada has a point based system, so yeah, they have a pretty restrictive system.

Indonesia is third world conservative crap, iirc. It should be included on the lists.