Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Home internet data caps

I've been trying to get answers but I'm having trouble. Why are some ISPs capping data? Are there any benefits to it?

Some people say they are good because someone using 1TB of data per month screws other people over. Some people say they are bad because it's just plain greed. I'm confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just the norm for data plans for the majority of ISPs in Australia.

Never really looked into why though, we're just used to it.

1TB a month? That isn't even that much.
    Happy don't have to deal with that kind of things in Finland.

The most likely answer is that the ISPs don't want to upgrade their networks and gear, so as more people consume more data, it starts slowing down for other people.

This analogy is great at getting the point across but totally wrong in every way:
    Assume the internet is a series of pipes that deliver water. Each 'smaller' pipe can deliver 7 units of water a second. These smaller pipes are what server neighborhoods. As the larger pipes that serve these smaller pipers get more pipes on them, they start to reach their max capacity. The water company (ISPs) can then either spend the money to upgrade, or put in data caps in the hopes that it discourages continuous usage. And if people go over their data caps and have to keep paying, then the ISPs have more money so they can upgrade their equipment without taking a hit on their profits.

TLDR: ISPs are businesses in the business of profits. Data Caps help them have more profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by zethh View Post
    hate when people say stupid things like this. what is a lot to you then cause your opinion on the subject really matters to us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monopolistic ISP's like money. Bandwidth caps let them have less total bandwidth, saving money.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zethh View Post
    I have a cap of 300GB on a 100D/40U MBit fibre connection, and I only occasionally ride it close.

I remember only 10 years ago some of my friends had 1GB caps on their ADSL broadband connections and didn't think anything of it, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a cap of 250GB. :| I hate it.

They're capping data because they can, basically.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Data caps = overage fees = free profit.

The only people who lose are the consumers.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    People have data caps on internet? I don't even have caps on my mobile internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are capping it because they want to try and put a dent in things like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Youtube etc... that take away their other business (cable TV subscriptions). People who just surf the web and use email will never come close to any cap. Im actually for lower caps with high overage fees as a way to combat piracy. If people have to pay a LOT more for their internet, they wont download tons of 4GB movies illegally
    Last edited by Orlong; 2015-11-05 at 11:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    For NA, EU(?) it's simply nothing but greed, the infrastructure is there.
    Australia unsure, might be juicy roaming deals they deal with.

----

Are there still any/many EU countries that us a cap model as a norm?
    Last edited by Bakis; 2015-11-06 at 12:02 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    400gb cap @ 120mbit down for $106 a month after tax here. plan below this one was like 200gb and i average like 250ish a month. bunch of greedy mother fuckers is the only valid explanation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    They are capping it because they want to try and put a dent in things like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Youtube etc... that take away their other business (cable TV subscriptions). People who just surf the web and use email will never come close to any cap. Im actually for lower caps with high overage fees as a way to combat piracy. If people have to pay a LOT more for their internet, they wont download tons of 4GB movies illegally
    Only Orlong would come up with that kind of method to combat piracy.
    Impressive.

Seems kinda retarded unless you can think of a way for them to know what is and isn't a legal download.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Only Orlong would come up with that kind of method to combat piracy.
    Impressive.
    You cant stop people from downloading stuff illegally, so the only way to curtail it is to make it more expensive to pirate than it is to buy it, and since you cant make your own ISP to skirt it, it works

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    You cant stop people from downloading stuff illegally, so the only way to curtail it is to make it more expensive to pirate than it is to buy it
    While also stopping people from legal downloads/streams.

Once again, impressive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't had a cap since 2007, doubt I'd cope now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Seems kinda retarded unless you can think of a way for them to know what is and isn't a legal download.
    They dont need to know. They just give you a set amount of data and then gouge you when you go over it. People who dont pirate rarely use more than 250GB or so a month unless they have multiple devices streaming Netflix and Pandora all day

They dont need to know. They just give you a set amount of data and then gouge you when you go over it. People who dont pirate rarely need more than 250GB or so a month unless they have multiple devices streaming Netflix and Pandora all day
    And if they do? Fuck em? I thought you were for freedom and liberty. This sounds a lot like the type of regulation you hate.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.