Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It could be sad. But it's important to consider that conservatives and liberals are different people. A conservative can agree with a liberal in one area, rather than another conservative.

This would be the world, if it's built upon some of the views of the 'honorable' (hehe) forum-goers here

- Complete responisbility for your own actions. Not like having an 8th child when you probably shouldn't, but getting run over by a car, could be said to be your own fault. Getting born into some shithole of a druginfested city and not making it out, would also be your fault

- You can be whatever you want!! No, you can't. Someone still has to deliver food to a store, someone has to be a cashier, someone needs to clean buildings, someone has to take care of your sick mom. "But old parents should be looked after by the family (women)!!" Well, that depends. Some old people are very sick, dementia is pretty dangerous, and I don't want unqualfied family members to "take care" of that individual. The main point though, is that conservatives are selling this "become whatever you want" utopia which realistically very few will enjoy

- big buisness to take care of everything! Sounds safe. Big government = BAD

- No maternity leave. Got pregnant? Your fault. Textile factories are doing a wonderful job in this regard - you get the day off when you deliver the baby! Yay! Which makes us return to the 2nd point - no maternity leave means you'll likely have to pay someone to look after your child/ren. However, they do it relcutantly, because she was told she could be anything, now look at her, changing diapers full of shit while eardrums cry for death.

- shitty workers' rights. No union. Holiday? Fuck off. Sick leave? Oh, you pussy

- no abortion, even when mother can die, or when the feutus is dead/will die. Hello, South America and Ireland.

Overall I find conservatism to be unappealing to me. It's too restrictive and pretends to give you freedom, but eh, it's just an illusion

You need to have a good definition of what conservatism and liberalism is in the US.

Conservatism is less government in your life, less regulation, fewer social programs, etc. This goes for SJW issues as well, government should stay our of our lives, let me make my own decisions. And a smaller government doesn't need as much taxes so there is considerable tax savings.

Sounds good on paper.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    I literally just mentioned stem cells, but the other ones you mentioned do no represent any type of oppression. As far as abortion, females can legally get them, but at the same time they cant just abort/murder their kid a week before the due date.
    Oh I know you mentioned it. I just reiterated for completeness sake. While abortion is legal, some states/organizations go through great lengths to make them as difficult to get as possible. And while not every item I listed is directly oppression, they are all tangible, negative effects that everyone can feel in some capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    You need to have a good definition of what conservatism and liberalism is in the US.

Conservatism is less government in your life, less regulation, fewer social programs, etc. This goes for SJW issues as well, government should stay our of our lives, let me make my own decisions. And a smaller government doesn't need as much taxes so there is considerable tax savings.

Sounds good on paper.
    In reality, American conservatism is about getting the government off the back of someone who seeks to exploit you. Less government in your life (to protect your rights), less regulation (of your employer's labor, safety, and environmental practices), fewer social programs (that make you slightly less desperate from the vagaries of capitalism), etc.

We don't need to imagine, they already are.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    We don't need to imagine, they already are.
    So Obama is a conservative who lied about all that "change"?

So Obama is a conservative who lied about all that "change"?
    Are you saying the Presidency is the only part of Government?

10+ Year Old Account
    Only when they need to blame someone for something.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    He is the most powerful person in the country, head of government.

He is the most powerful person in the country, head of government.
    Deflection. Are you saying the judiciary and legislative branches have no power? That states have no autonomy? The President is essentially God-King? I mean Obama isn't particularly left wing, maybe he is relative to the US but that's largely due to how far right everyone else is. My comment wasn't limited to just Obama though, so focusing on him alone is stupid.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2015-11-11 at 11:07 AM.

Always amusing to see the rights pure system where everyone gets to live an American dream. Just look how awesome it was for the people that lived in Victorian times with unregulated capitalism! I mean the Scandinavian countries frequently get voted as among the best to live in the world with their downright despicable leftist antics.

Religion plays very little role in the lives of non-religious people in the US. I'm sorry if it triggers you to see "God" on some coins in your pocket, but you will survive. There might be a bit more stigma to fix regarding stem cells. Overall though, Christians are not oppressing you.
    Likewise in the US noone is oppressing the Christians.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    Likewise in the US noone is oppressing the Christians.
    I know, people are free to go to church and teach their kid their traditions. I don't see a problem.

Deleted
    Conservative US would probably be something like a rich Poland. Certainly not the worst world to live in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    Conservative US would probably be something like a rich Poland. Certainly not the worst world to live in.
    Uh? That is a.... weird analogy?

Conservative World?

1) Anti-science inclinations. Views that reflect the scientific consensus will be discarded, ignored or even be prosecuted. Vaccines will be destroyed and banned, clean energy will be discarded in favor of fossil fuels and Evolution will be removed from scientific textbooks and instruction to give way for Creationism. Schools and and educational institutions will receive lesser and lesser funding, leading to poorer education standards and higher costs of sending your kids to school.

2) Effective slavery. The income gap will become next to impossible to overcome as the rich get even richer and everyone else, including the middle class are subject to increasingly poorer working conditions and unlivable wages. The general populace will be subject to brainwashing propaganda, such as the needy being where they are because of their own faults, laziness and incompetence and not because the system is built to strangle the people at the bottom. Large educational debts that are effectively unpayable for the rest of one's life, further cementing the effective slavery.

3) Guns, and eventually assault weapons for everyone. Escalating gun-related violence and accidents, as the general populace are expected to participate in an arms race in order to effectively have a fighting chance at defending themselves.

4) Eager to start wars with other nations, otherwise maintaining an isolationist policy when it comes to foreign aid, immigrants and refugees.

5) Systemic racism and discrimination against minority groups and females.

6) Prisons are now just another name for labor camps. The system incentivizes arresting and prosecuting anyone who isn't wealthy enough to bribe their way out of a "crime". Naturally, there's nothing about the system that promotes rehabilitation, it's just blanket punishment to anyone and everyone unlucky or poor enough to get caught in the crosshairs.

Luckily for us, most world powers are center, or slightly left of center, so these aren't really going to happen anytime soon.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2015-11-11 at 12:38 PM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    conservative economic systems are terrible, so i'm glad it'll probably never happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Conservative World?

1) Anti-science inclinations.

2) Effective slavery.

3) Guns, and eventually assault weapons for everyone.

4) Eager to start wars with other nations, otherwise maintaining an isolationist policy when it comes to foreign aid, immigrants and refugees.

5) Systemic racism and discrimination against minority groups and females.

6) Prisons are now just another name for labor camps.
    With the possible exception of one part of point 4, nothing of that applies to the brand of Conservatism I follow - which is over 170 years old, so not even a new version.
    Last edited by Kalis; 2015-11-11 at 01:28 PM.

Statism, backed by "liberal" or "conservative" entities, is still statism. They look the same, but each has its own preferred double-speak dictionary.

Seriously, the US has followed the same economic, social, and "diplomatic" strategies under republicans and democrats, all while they've been pretending to disagree.
    Last edited by Goobadin; 2015-11-11 at 02:06 PM.

1.) We would no longer give people money for nothing. The truly disabled and unable to work would be taken care of, and the people who could work but chose not to would get nothing. It’s a sad day when being overweight can be used as grounds for longterm disability. No work = no pay; it’s actually very simple. Shit, imho we could have street sweepers and people walking the highways and beaches with spikes to clean up trash. At least they would be doing something for their money instead of sitting on their asses. I have an anecdotal story to share about this after my major points.**
    2.) We would have a simpler, flat tax code where everyone pays their fair share without access to loopholes. Right now the US tax code is over 74,000 pages long, and only super-massive corporations have the manpower to actually understand it. Because of this, the largest corporations in our country pay little-to-no tax, while the middle class carries all of the burden.
    3.) We would bring jobs back into the United States by increasing tariffs on all imports to the point that it became impractical to manufacture overseas. This would help put people back to work as in point #1.
    4.) We would have a secure border that encourages legal immigration, but absolutely denies illegal immigration. We would reform the immigration procedures to actually allow people to come here without having to wait decades.
    5.) So much is made from the US having a huge military, but look at what has happened over the last 7 years with our current “lead from behind” mentality. The middle east is a tinderbox just waiting to explode, Soviet Russia is rebuilding with an invasion of Ukraine, North Korea has acknowledged their possession of nuclear weapons, and the US is standing by idly and watching it happen. As a result, millions of refugees are pouring north from the middle east into Europe, there are terrorist cells currently operating within western borders, and there have been more terror attacks this year alone than in the prior 10 years combined. Under republican control, we would re-establish our presence in the middle east and diffuse the whole situation before it finally gets out of control.

**From my personal observation, there is a bigger problem in this country with people not wanting to work than there is with there not being jobs available. I live in a state with an unemployment rate of almost 10%, yet we have been actively trying to hire new employees for over two years with nothing to show for it. We are offering a 40 hr work week with very good pay, on the job training, 401k, life insurance, dental & vision, daycare, and profit sharing. The only requirement that we have for these positions (over 30 currently available), is that you are a high school graduate, have reliable transportation (we’re a 3 minute walk from a bus station), and that you pass a drug test. Over the last 2 years, we have only been able to hire 5 people for these jobs while interviewing literally hundreds. Of those that do not accept job offers, over half ask that we sign that they came for an interview so they can continue to receive their unemployment check. It’s bullshit, and it needs to stop. It drives me absolutely batshit crazy every time I hear our state and national debt figures, only to have yet another lazy lowlife with no intention of working despite having a job offered to them.
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced