Thread: Upgrade help

Upgrade help

Hey guys, so I'm looking to get a mini upgrade for my PC so ill be able to play some new released games at least on medium settings. I ran the can I run it requirements for Fallout 4 and I didn't even make the minimum requirements.

These are my specs with my current pc
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2MVwm

What upgrades do you guys think will get me running these new released games?

Thanks in advance

Deleted
    FO4 has a quadcore listed as minimum spec. You only have a dual core, but it does have HT. HT emulates a core (really simplified). So in short, you have two cores but it can work on 4 treads. I think you should be fine in that regard.

Only real boost would be to upgrade the GPU to something like a 380 or 970/390 depending on your budget.

You could also always get an i5 quadcore, such as a 4460, 4590, or 4690k. Might be that for some newer ones you need to update your bios.
    For a snappier feel, you could get an SSD. But that would require a full reinstall of windows to get the most benefit out of it.

I would suggest a better GPU, an SSD like mentioned above makes your pc run smoother if you will, but will make little to no difference in game performance other then faster loadscreens.

Also don't put too much importance on those websites telling you if you can run something or not, they just go by what's written on the game box, it's not like they test every possible combination to see if and how it works to make them actually useful.

Thanks alot of the quick responces, i appreciate it. So by upgrading my cpu/gpu I'll have a bit more smoother game experience? I don't really mind the loading tbh. Everything loads pretty quick. Possible for you guys to link me some good items between the range of 300-500 for gpu/cpu.

Deleted
    Locked i5 + 390

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.10 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($314.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $484.09
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 13:12 EST-0500

Locked i5 + 380 + SSD

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.10 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card ($214.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $464.07
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 13:45 EST-0500

Unlocked i5

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($314.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $531.98
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 13:13 EST-0500

I would probably go for the second option. The SSD will decrease loading times in games, and with the OS on there will make the OS feel snappier. The 380 will be fine for gaming on 1080p. Of course the 390 will be better. So if you feel you don't need the SSD, I would pick the first option. Or if you feel like OCing, you could pick the third option. You could also get the 4690k + 380 to stay under the 500 dollars.

Deleted
    If you got for a haswell refresh, i5 4690(k) be sure to update (flash) the bios first.

Sorry for bumping this thread, I'm really thinking of going for that 3rd option. I wouldn't mind going over a little. I don't really know alot about OCing I never really messed with it haha.

Exactly how easy would it be to update the bios if I do decide to go with the third option? Would I do it before or after I would install the new CPU?

Do it before, and it is very easy. Usually you just download the file onto a thumb drive, boot into the EFI/BIOS with the drive attached, and select the update file. It will take care of the rest.

Overclocking is generally very easy - in the EFI/BIOS, you can just select the speed youd like to OC to and set it. Youll probably want to get an aftermarket cooler if you're going to do more than a mild overclock, unless you like the noisy stock cooler.

Thanks alot of the quick responce, one quick question before I make my final decision(Going for the 3rd option). Would I have to upgrade my PSU to a higher watts since I am upgrading my CPU/GPU? The one I currently have is 550W.

Deleted
    No, that should be fine.

Awesome, thanks alot for the help everyone i really appreciate it.

EDIT - Found a new case here is my updated list (GPU/CPU) not installed yet but that's all the hardware. Only issue that shows up is just the BIOS, which I already updated.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GjdPCJ

When i just transfer my entire motherboard/psu over. Will I have to do a reinstallation of windows? or everything will stay the same.
    Last edited by Warmsodas; 2015-11-19 at 04:00 AM.