Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. But it seems ALL of you missed the key point in my OP. THEY BOUGHT THE HOUSE. IT'S THEIRS. So no landlord can actually be contacted. And no, they are not meth cookers, we don't have that kind around here where i live.
    You can always just step up and ask them.

If it's medicine they prolly won't even notice. If not then maybe they can change it. Maybe she loves her boiled cauliflower lol
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Do they have animals?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. But it seems ALL of you missed the key point in my OP. THEY BOUGHT THE HOUSE. IT'S THEIRS. So no landlord can actually be contacted. And no, they are not meth cookers, we don't have that kind around here where i live.
    Just talk to them. Most people are not aware of a smell that they constantly live in, so when you talk to them don't be a jerk. It's likely that they are not aware and once you make them aware, then they will do what they can to fix it. I don't know if you have any kind of a relationship with them, but even if you don't it shouldn't be too hard.

In case you need specific direction:
    1. Knock on their door and ask them if they have a second to talk. If they don't, then find a time that works for them and just say that it's important.
    2. Tell them that you aren't trying to be rude, but there is a strong odor that has begun to permeate the hallway and that it seems to be emanating from their flat.
    3. Explain that it is extremely unpleasant and ask if they know what it is that is causing it and that they do something to fix it.
    4. Bonus points if you talk to your other neighbor first and get them to help with the confrontation.

It isn't rude to confront somebody about an issue that negatively affects your residence. It would be rude for you to do nothing and then complain about it or judge them. I'm not saying that you are doing that here. You're just asking for advice.
    It's "should have" and "could have." When a native English speaker uses of in place of have, he or she looks ignorant.

Have you ruled out the possibility of it being marijuana? haha

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I must now ask

Are you sure its not yourself?
    It is definitely NOT myself. Hope you didn't get that idea from self-experience :-P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caddo View Post
    Do they have animals?
    They don't, as i stated in my OP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Old Gray Mare View Post
    Have you ruled out the possibility of it being marijuana? haha
    Yes. We usually don't have that kind of drug here, cannabis is what people use as an herbal drug.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzhoof View Post
    Just talk to them. Most people are not aware of a smell that they constantly live in, so when you talk to them don't be a jerk. It's likely that they are not aware and once you make them aware, then they will do what they can to fix it. I don't know if you have any kind of a relationship with them, but even if you don't it shouldn't be too hard.

In case you need specific direction:
    1. Knock on their door and ask them if they have a second to talk. If they don't, then find a time that works for them and just say that it's important.
    2. Tell them that you aren't trying to be rude, but there is a strong odor that has begun to permeate the hallway and that it seems to be emanating from their flat.
    3. Explain that it is extremely unpleasant and ask if they know what it is that is causing it and that they do something to fix it.
    4. Bonus points if you talk to your other neighbor first and get them to help with the confrontation.

It isn't rude to confront somebody about an issue that negatively affects your residence. It would be rude for you to do nothing and then complain about it or judge them. I'm not saying that you are doing that here. You're just asking for advice.
    Your advice seems solid and reasonable. However, i am dreaded by the fact i may actually have to do this. Even with the gentler and the politer way i could muster, a part of me would feel bad and guilty for bringing this up to them, especially while they are elders.
    Last edited by Fabinas; 2015-11-12 at 01:03 AM. Reason: double post