Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Urban Areas = very low fertility rate

So I took a train out of the city one day, and holy fuck there are kids EVERYWHERE. I didn't understand. Back in my home city New York City, there are very few kids. Apparently I did not realize that the fertility rate in cities are very low in comparison to rural or suburban areas. This trend appears even in the US.
    Higher population densities leads to lower fertility rates. How strange.

what's the cause of this? Is it that there are more wealthy in cities and more poor in rural places?

Original source

I at first thought those places are over-breeding areas, but it turns out those places have fertility rates around 2.0, while the cities I usually spend my time in had fertility rates well below 1.0. I wonder if pushing for more urban city development and sky rises have would reduce fertility rates further.

Anyways, happy World Vasectomy Day Eve! Together, we can bring fertility rates down to more sustainable levels.
    Last edited by kidchest; 2015-11-12 at 04:57 AM.

Go to the bad part of town, way too many kids there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Go to the bad part of town, way too many kids there.
    Thats why there needs to be more emphasis in discouraging breeding there. Making things like contraception, and other stuff easier and more affordable. In thailand they got pretty creative by putting contraceptive vending machines as part of their population policy and now they have a 1.4 TFR.

We also need to cap the child tax break at the first two children.
    Last edited by kidchest; 2015-11-12 at 04:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kidchest View Post
    Higher population densities leads to lower fertility rates. How strange.
    It's largely a function of expense. Children are more of a financial liability in developed areas than in rural ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's largely a function of expense. Children are more of a financial liability in developed areas than in rural ones.
    But we have to continue the facade of it being a mystery.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    But we have to continue the facade of it being a mystery.
    If only to continue to sling mud at urban areas under the pretense that rural areas are somehow 'more pure' or whatever mythology de jour the right wing chooses to espouse.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that living in a city means you have a low fertility rate. Maybe once folks have kids they move out or just don't want kids.

Having kids or not isn't directly correlated to fertility levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorScientst View Post
    I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that living in a city means you have a low fertility rate. Maybe once folks have kids they move out or just don't want kids.

Having kids or not isn't directly correlated to fertility levels.
    In terms of demographics fertility refers to the average number of children women in a given population have over their lifetimes. Women in more developed areas do usually tend to have fewer children - again, largely because of expense and also the increased opportunity that having children would interfere with.

7+ Year Old Account
    In terms of demographics fertility refers to the average number of children women in a given population have over their lifetimes. Women in more developed areas do usually tend to have fewer children - again, largely because of expense and also the increased opportunity that having children would interfere with.
    that would probably explain why the average person living on <10k a year has twice the birth rate as someone making over 75k in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    that would probably explain why the average person living on <10k a year has twice the birth rate as someone making over 75k.
    And here's the kicker. This is almost entirely a function of lack of access to education and family planning services. Low income areas which -are- adequately serviced in terms of contraception and sex ed do not see that big of a disparity in the fertility rate.

7+ Year Old Account
    And here's the kicker. This is almost entirely a function of lack of access to education and family planning services. Low income areas which -are- adequately serviced in terms of contraception and sex ed do not see that big of a disparity in the fertility rate.
    It would be fucking nice if these things were properly funded. Hell, just make these things fully subsidized and free. Even permanent birth control like vasectomy.
    Less kids on welfare.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be fucking nice if these things were properly funded. Hell, just make these things fully subsidized and free. Even permanent birth control like vasectomy.
    Less kids on welfare.
    Yes, well that would require extirpating the majority of the right wing from voter eligibility.

BS, wheres your proof?. They don't care at all about contraception.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, well that would require extirpating the majority of the right wing from voter eligibility.
    Well... It turns out when people have easy access to birth control, less abortions
    The social conservative authoritarians anti-libertarian types hate abortion so much, if they knew how birth control prevents the "necessary evil" of a woman needing an abortion, they should start supporting free birth control and family planning.

Maybe I'm late to the party...what's the problem with high fertility rate?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Karaoke View Post
    Poor people having way too many kids equals more poor people having way too many kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    People having children they do not have the means to adequately nurture and/or educate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Poor people having way too many kids equals more poor people having way too many kids.
    What's the problem with poor people having too many kids? That's their problem and not mine.

The problem is we're paying for it? Then let's stop paying for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the problem with poor people having too many kids? That's their problem and not mine.
    It aggravates the crime rate, if you want a very direct effect.