My version of psychological warfare

Imagine we take all the people who watch reality shows, sitcoms, and cop shows and interrupt their programming with 30 mins-1 hr of an intellectual space opera showing a tolerant and peaceful future. The technological know how of the government would make it sure that viewers can't shut off their Televisions.

What will be the reaction?

Well we've already had shows that are showing utopian futures, but I'm not sure forcing something gets the message across, and what stops people from getting up and walking out of the room?

I probably wouldn't wait to see Fox News reaction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Well we've already had shows that are showing utopian futures, but I'm not sure forcing something gets the message across, and what stops people from getting up and walking out of the room?
    Maybe it would be 3-10 minutes. A mashup of space operas with a social justice message at the end.

Probably say this. Want this future? Change now!

They would change the channel, I bet.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Maybe it would be 3-10 minutes. A mashup of space operas with a social justice message at the end.

Probably say this. Want this future? Change now!
    I'm all for encouraging people to watch a show promoting a positive message, like when several channels simulcast Cosmos or when GiJoe did their PSAs at the end of the episode, but I still think most people would treat it as a commercial and go use the bathroom. It would have to be a hell of a hook to get the viewing audience to actually pay attention in this age of the Kardashians.

Since the urge for Utopia is the very thing that makes it impossible to achieve, it wouldn't accomplish much except push the goalposts further away. Furthermore people who couldn't shut off their televisions would just walk away from them, the embodiment of the original 'vote with your feet' nature of the US.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why, though? You have this obsession and persecution complex with your like of sci-fi. Liking sci-fi doesn't make you better than anyone else, and really, nobody gives a shit.

What is this, the 4th or 5th thread on this? Stop going on about how you're better than others because you like sci-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Why, though? You have this obsession and persecution complex with your like of sci-fi. Liking sci-fi doesn't make you better than anyone else, and really, nobody gives a shit.

What is this, the 4th or 5th thread on this? Stop going on about how you're better than others because you like sci-fi.
    But what if they are space cheerleaders. How about that?!
    The technological know how of the government would make it sure that viewers can't shut off their Televisions.
    Good luck with doing that. It would be technologically impossible unless you have some sort of security preventing tampering with the electrical power of tv. Even if it was possible, people would be majorily pissed off about it as it would be worthless bs to them. I wouldn't want some assholes to force me watch something very few hours I actually watch tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I think the biggest issue is that people think Utopia is desirable or achievable. If you could reach it, you would be bored out of your mind after a few years.

Conversely, people that stop reaching for it are also a problem. I think the right idea is to understand that you can never, nor should you ever reach it, but never stop reaching for it.

Things change, perfection is unchanging, it is perfect, no need to change. But as long as you understand that, and keep reaching for positive change, most will remain content.
    Blame Sir Thomas More, Thomas Hobbes, Plato and a few others I'm not recalling while at work.

For someone that has expressed an interest in Buddhist and Eastern thought you're missing a crucial point. Reaching for it you won't ever grasp it or even know it. Letting the dust settle, letting 'perfection' be given to you rather than grabbing it is the way. Of course by then it can't really be considered 'perfection' can it. We've spent thousands of years as a species reaching, and it's never been held because reaching you can't grab it. There's a reason so much of Eastern thought emphasizes stillness.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please stop making really weird, totally pointless threads.