Question for the artists

So I know we have artists on these boards somewhere. I'm curious if any of you have experience designing tattoos? I may be in the market for a new tattoo and need help with a design.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, that's what tattoo artists are for!

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I mean, that's what tattoo artists are for!
    I generally won't find a tattoo guy til I have something figured out for what I want. It tends to take me a while to get a tattoo from design to finally getting it done.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Whatever you pick the tattooer is going to modify as he sees fit anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you have a general idea and concept, there's nothing wrong with having your artist design it for you. That's part of their job, not just applying it! They might want a deposit and to keep the art to make sure their work isn't for nothing when you go somewhere else, but it's probably better to have a tattoo designed by a tattoo artist since they'll know best given the medium and what works with your body lines/shape. They'd likely want to modify anything you bring in anyway.

But I guess it depends on what you're looking for and how fleshed out your idea is already.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    As long as you have a general idea and concept, there's nothing wrong with having your artist design it for you. That's part of their job, not just applying it! They might want a deposit and to keep the art to make sure their work isn't for nothing when you go somewhere else, but it's probably better to have a tattoo designed by a tattoo artist since they'll know best given the medium and what works with your body lines/shape.

But I guess it depends on what you're looking for and how fleshed out your idea is already.
    Totally. He would have pretty clear ideas of the size of your tattoo or the position or anything really and they'd be based on experience more than anything else.
    All the tattoos I got (apart from a few I was pretty adamant on) were somewhat modified on the spot by the tattooer. Mostly size and position, but the design as well might change. Shadows and details like.
    Find a good tattooer and trust him

- - - Updated - - -

I remember for example once I wanted to get a particularly complex drawing tattooed on my shoulder and the tattooer basically said "if you do that it's going to look like a black patch in a few years". Something I didn't think of.

Deleted
    Getting a tattoo drawn by someone who doesn't know how to draw tattoo's, is gonna turn out terrible at worst and decent at best. Find a good artist, don't try and get something cheap, and while its great to bring art in - listen carefully to them when they have suggestions for changes and what they say will and won't work.

I make art for a living, and I have about 60 hours of tattooing done on me. And while I very often do a loose sketch and hand it to my artist, as an idea which she then build on based on placement, composition on the body and all that, very early on I learned that me spending a huge amount of time making a piece which then could not be replicated is pointless. Sometimes she does major adjustments to my tattoos, sometimes only minor, and sometimes none, but the worst mistake you can do is go in and say "This is the exact thing I want no changes allowed." Tattooing is a skill, its not copy paste. Its kind of like asking a violinist to write a guitar solo, without them ever having played a guitar. Yeah its related, and similar, and its both music - but you'd be better off asking a guitarist to write it (Or whatever, I don't do music might be awful analogy).

If you are set on having an artist do something for you before you go to a tattoo artist, or just would like any knowledge about what to look for when trying to find a tattooist feel free to send me a PM and I'll give you any info I have, or see if I can do anything you would like. Biggest thing I would say is be careful, know what you want, and listen to any artist you talk to - they know better than you, especially if you have searched them out because you liked their work.

If you want to look at my meager deviantart gallery for ideas, you are more than welcome. Not tattoo designs really, but could be inspiration for one. Link is in my sig, just scroll past all the mineral photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    If you want to look at my meager deviantart gallery for ideas, you are more than welcome. Not tattoo designs really, but could be inspiration for one. Link is in my sig, just scroll past all the mineral photos.
    I already have the basic idea of what i want. Could I pm you?

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I already have the basic idea of what i want. Could I pm you?
    sure.

/10charmanders

Why would you get graffiti on your body?

Deleted
    Forgot to link my deviantart in my previous post>,< Like I said, if you absolutely want something done before talking to a tattooist feel free to pm me and I'll see if I could help you. I have experience drawing things that will be turned into tattoos, and will be happy to help if you want it - I still think you'd be better of talking to a tattooist and having them draw it though.

Here is my deviant:
    http://afarifteh.deviantart.com