Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Rated BGs aren't that popular lately, are they?

I want to try some newb groups to start practicing on them but on a busy hour EU I can only see 7 or 8 listed. That's very disappointing for a big game like WoW. In raiding I was used to hundreds of listings.

The cheating epidemic is removing people from the PvP part of the game. Or the game in general, since it's clear that people are using cheats for PvE too. Game is degrading quickly in WoD on Blizz's watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovich View Post
    The cheating epidemic is removing people from the PvP part of the game. Or the game in general, since it's clear that people are using cheats for PvE too. Game is degrading quickly in WoD on Blizz's watch.
    Quote for truth.

Deleted
    You should probably find a PvP guild, those tend to do RBGs regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Braktixx View Post
    You should probably find a PvP guild, those tend to do RBGs regularly.
    ^^ you would think that would have been an obvious choice.

I really thought that RBGs would be more popular since lager group of pvp takes more skills and coordination then small scale.

I think pvp just loses so many people do to the stale content. Same maps, quick to gear, same mounts. Really the only think to PvP for is rating then super grinding Achievements like 250k HK's or 100 wins in a certain BG.

Sure their are mounts you can get but there isnt as many as PvE. Hell there is no where near enough. This is why people say pvp is a small part of the game, though it is my favorite.

10+ Year Old Account
    RBG's are terrible. I've probably done a total of 5 RBG's since it was implemented and every time I decide to do them, I want to hang myself.

There are inherent flaws with the RBG maps, there's massive issues with class disparity, there's problems with poor matchmaking due to the lack of overall participation and then there's the horrendously skewed rewards. Each problem feeds into the others, which means that unless the entire system is scrapped and overhauled, as it should've been for S10, we'll have a horrible system that the PvP team continually pushes players towards by incentivising them with increased rewards like bonus CP and additional weekly loot.

Deleted
    Rbgs are a farce. Played two seasons on 2k-2,5k MMR and every time I wanted to throw myself off a cliff. And the cheating thing isn't exactly new either.

Cheating in PvP is annoying, yes. But Arena you can just requeue and probably queue into another people pretty fast. Rbg? Not so much.

Not to mention rbgers only tend to suck pretty hard in "real" PvP Situations. But that's only my subjective observation.

Well Rbg have some problems, first the cheaters, they are everywere, RBG's are no exception, problem is instead of facing 3 cheaters u face 10.
    Second problem is gaining rating, i don't know anything about the math behind the way they calculate the rate you gain but, when you reach a certain mmr you gain like 6 or 7 points per win.. well a bg takes some time let's say 15 minutes if you play 2 hours you can do 8 bg's, if u win the 8 you get around 50 points! but if you lose one, there goes 20 points. It's just.. unfair and slow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vjnzen View Post

Not to mention rbgers only tend to suck pretty hard in "real" PvP Situations. But that's only my subjective observation.
    teamplay is more important with higher numbers, individually weaker players who are good at teamplay will go higher in 10v10 than 3v3 or 1v1.

But there was also another issue going on in the reverse, when i still played rbgs in cata weekly we always would have excellent 2,4+ arena players forget all coordination and CC in rbgs, you would always have to retrain them and meanwhile the first group could crush them easily. Maybe they got pavlovd by regular bgs but it was annyong to say the least.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovich View Post
    Absolutely. Been like this for a long time. I'd say it's even mandatory in RBGs now rather than simply very common (2 times out of 3) in arenas. You even get them in unrated BGs as well.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Bad enough to occasionally spot scripts in random BGs, why would anyone bother with higher level RBGs where you are really investing your time.

There is a lot of RBG activity, maybe you only see a few groups up, but there is a ton of players looking for RBG just like you.

Want a tip? Create a team yourself, it takes like 5-10 minutes if you are not that picky, you'll have 20+ people on that list trying to get into your group within minutes!

EDIT!! (answering OPs question first)

Sigh, I only see bitching and moaning from noobs who should learn to play before crying here.

While I agree that cheating is a pandemic right now, it is not unbeatable. These people cheating are normally scrubs who can't play without and let the rotation do it's work for them.

A skilled player at his class can produce aprox the same damage as one of the bots, slightly less but he will compensate with clutch ccs, cc chains and good intrupts, most of these rotation bots blow their cds, ccs and don't follow up cc chains.

and regarding the rating you win, it works off MMR. If you play in casual cap groups and win/lose 50% there is no wonder you are only gaining 7-10 rating once your cr matches your mmr, that is intentional.

What you want to do is get full gear, link some nice achivements to get into good groups and win. once u win more then 3-4 games in row, your mmr will increase a shitton.

I think I had 17 games played last season on my rogue, and 14 of them wins. I had around 2.1k cr still gaining about 90 cr/win when I hit 2.1 (try get into 1800+ mmr groups when you have 0 cr)

Also RBGS is like a raid, it is teamwork, teamwork and nothing but teamwork, the only ones that shine in individual play here is rogues. I reckon you guys don't call out your ccs, ask for follow up for chains, peels and shit.

I have raidlead two teams to 2400 cr, and got 2600 when pushing with my old guild, we met a lot of these cheaters, and crushed them mostly.

a nice way to check who is cheating (if on your team) is checking recount, if their activity is skyrocket, along with hots/dots upkeep etc check those stats they will 7/10 cases reveal if you have a cheater on your team or a very very good player. (which you can deduct by checking ccs done, dispels etc)
    Last edited by Hannibalbarca; 2015-12-09 at 11:30 AM.

It seems (for me) that RBGs were more popular in MoP than now. I want to do RBGs myself, but there are issues

1. Spec favouritism. I've mentioned this before, but damn, I'll mention it again. I love destro, it's my favourite spec in the game. It feels (almost) complete and just enjoyable. Then it's RBG time: "can u play affli?" I can, but I hate it. Maintaining dots on a bunch of different targets, even pets to top damage, isn't appealing. If I don't play affli, it's harder to get accepted

2. I play horde (but also have an undergeared ally lock), so the pool of players is quite small. I play on a very popular and big horde server, however, people here just don't PvP. It's possible to find PvP guilds. This then happens: I join the guild, we're 15-20 people online, fighting about who will become the few chosen. 2 months later, and I have guild chat all to myself. So the process starts again. And again. And once more, until you're not bothered

3. Arena will always be treated as the more pure form of PvP, where true skill can be seen. RBGs don't have the same prestige as arena, despite the rewards from them

4. Achivement gap. "LFM 3 wins, have 2,2k or don't bother". I have 2k, and done several hundred RBGs on various chars (though I don't have Warbringer on any of them). Furthermore, I have my Bloodthirsty and Khan titles, and obviously 100 BG wins. I've completed and won, thousands of Bgs combined. But all of that is irrelevant, because I don't have 2,2k. And to be fair, I doubt many have. And when they write "or don't bother", sure, I won't. Though I do think they can show their attitude up somewhere

5. Toxic attitude. PvPers can be incredibly mean, the higher the rating, the more shitheads. Even more so when you play with randoms. I want to do RBGs because they are fun and I pay to play. All that goes right out the window though when you play with some super serious wannabes that act as if their lives are over should they lose

6. Gaining rating. This is really hard work. Let's say you do 3 RBGs one evening. Your rating is 1789. You win the first, and gain 5 rating. Lo and behold, you win the 2nd too, and gain a mighty 7 rating. Yay, you pushed 1800. Then you do the 3rd and lose. Byebye, 11 rating. Basically, it feels like 1 step forward and 2 back. This wasn't very encouraging. Again, I don't want rewards for losing, but come on, be real. Your 2 victories will mean nothing

7. Cheating. Honestly, never saw much of it, but you don't really want to continue when you know there are cheaters everywhere. Everything from fly hacking to rotation bots (though... affli might be better to play that way). What's sadder is that Blizzard doesn't seem to concerned with it either.

8. The noobs. You get noobs. Once, in Twin Peaks back in the day, we wanted a monk to take the flag. He stayed with the group. He didn't know what we meant. This, too, can be tiring. You don't find good, kind and skilled people. Noooo, it's either people that actually don't know the mechanics behind the BG or their classes (healers with 0 dispels...) or you get the wannabes...

I want to do RBGs, truly, I do. But there are so many obstacles in the way, even with just finding people, that honestly, it's not worth the struggle, in my opinion at least

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    8. "PVP GUILDS". If there is one STUPID thing thats the concept of a "pvp guild". If you think you can go to RBG with your so called "guildies" think again. Unlike raiding guilds pvp is a fluid thing where just knowing your rotation and when to move away from the fire is not enough. Therefore, creating a guild of people who will by means of being members ask for a spot in RBG means you want to fail. No sir you can't be in the damn RBG team just because you re a guild member because your class simply doesn't fit. By trying to fit people in you will fail your RBG. Simple.
    I was thinking recently the game might be too complex in PvP by accident. It seems to be designed mainly for PvE with all the complexity that requires and then that just gets thrown into PvP. The problem is that 4 or 5 abilities in PvE that are utility are going to be used rarely but in PvP the complexity and the steep curve between skill levels is enormous to even learn 1 or 2 extra spells and their proper usage.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    I was thinking recently the game might be too complex in PvP by accident. It seems to be designed mainly for PvE with all the complexity that requires and then that just gets thrown into PvP. The problem is that 4 or 5 abilities in PvE that are utility are going to be used rarely but in PvP the complexity and the steep curve between skill levels is enormous to even learn 1 or 2 extra spells and their proper usage.
    After the pruning in Wod its anything but complex,counterplay is non-existent in most situations. Knowing to use cc or utility abilities isn't hard to figure out.
    This isn't the same company. They are not in touch with the playerbase, they are hellbent on profit, and yea companies deserve profit, but not at the cost of the health of the game, and they became their own worst enemy. WoW was special not because of vanilla, bc, or wrath. No nostalgia here. It was special because of Blizzards involvement with the community, which is all but lost now. They changed everything into the least possible communication with the community.

Deleted
    PvP in general isn't that popular anymore. Didn't last arena season only have roughly 200k participants?

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Yes there is more complexity but there was even more before the first round of pruning in WoD (eg Arms Warriors).

The problem is cheating is a big issue with RBG lately. Bots that can't dot up your entire team (eg Affliction lock) or bots that interrupt at the end of casts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Have to agree with what Motorman and Faenskap said. I had enough of it in MoP after almost 800 pug matches, some with friends that were decent players but they got fed up and left. The cheating and exploiting was there and I could see it gradually getting worse, so I quit during 5.3.

Since WoD, it's gone literally out of control. I started a thread on RBG cheating: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1870181-Cheating

There's many cheating threads on Blizz forums as well, not just RBGs but arenas too. Blizz has done little to nothing about it, even in the face of clear evidence, and they often delete those threads when they get a lot of posts and traffic.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2015-12-10 at 02:00 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorbos012 View Post
    PvP in general isn't that popular anymore. Didn't last arena season only have roughly 200k participants?
    I can't attest to that but during MOP leveling late at night in BG's I'd come across 13 man hunter teams that were all bots game after game. We'd roll them repeatedly and were getting the 2000-0 AB achievement several times over and people liked that part but really, who wants to enjoy a game like that.