10+ Year Old Account

Windows 10 "clean install" vs. upgrade?

Hey guys

So I'm in the process of building a new PC and I don't have an OS for it. Windows 10 retails for around $100 or so, but I also know that you can do a free upgrade to Windows 10 if you have a legit copy of Windows 7 or 8.

Windows 7 OEM versions can be found online through Amazon and other legitimate sellers for around $50 on a regular basis, so my question is, what reason is there to buy a Windows 10 CD and install it when I can just get Windows 7 for half the price, and then do an upgrade? Are there any negative drawbacks that I might encounter doing an upgrade vs. a clean install?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    Hey guys

So I'm in the process of building a new PC and I don't have an OS for it. Windows 10 retails for around $100 or so, but I also know that you can do a free upgrade to Windows 10 if you have a legit copy of Windows 7 or 8.

Windows 7 OEM versions can be found online through Amazon and other legitimate sellers for around $50 on a regular basis, so my question is, what reason is there to buy a Windows 10 CD and install it when I can just get Windows 7 for half the price, and then do an upgrade? Are there any negative drawbacks that I might encounter doing an upgrade vs. a clean install?
    Basically an OEM version is licensed to the first machine it's installed on, a retail version is licensed to the person who owns it and can be reinstalled on a new PC later (OEM can too but it violates the terms of use).

The Windows 10 free upgrade is essentially OEM regardless of the type of 7/8 install it is applied too, it is linked to the machine and if you upgrade components like the motherboard it will refuse to install without a key.

Basically if you plan to keep the machine a long time get the $50 Windows 7 and upgrade it to Windows 10, if you plan an upgrade in the foreseeable future go for the Windows 10 retail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Basically an OEM version is licensed to the first machine it's installed on, a retail version is licensed to the person who owns it and can be reinstalled on a new PC later (OEM can too but it violates the terms of use).

The Windows 10 free upgrade is essentially OEM regardless of the type of 7/8 install it is applied too, it is linked to the machine and if you upgrade components like the motherboard it will refuse to install without a key.

Basically if you plan to keep the machine a long time get the $50 Windows 7 and upgrade it to Windows 10, if you plan an upgrade in the foreseeable future go for the Windows 10 retail.
    Thanks for the insight. I only build a new PC every several years (current one is 5 years old). Once I build it I don't plan to upgrade or change any parts except maybe the video card and adding more RAM down the line, but AFAIK Windows keys are tied to the motherboard, so as long as I don't replace that then I'm good.

I was wondering more along the lines of whether or not there's any "bloat" that carries over when I do an upgrade vs. a fresh install. In other words, if I install W7 and then upgrade to W10, will there be "leftover" system files from W7 still stored on my storage drive that can possibly cause any system errors or bugs? Will my computing experience or performance be negatively affected in any way if I do an upgrade vs. a fresh install?

Windows 10 Home OEM is $79 on Newegg right now w/ a promo code, Windows 7 Home OEM is $56 on Amazon. I'd save $23 by getting W7 and upgrading it (not much, but every dollar saved helps!) but I don't want to deal with any headaches, I want the install and everything to be super smooth with no issues.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was wondering more along the lines of whether or not there's any "bloat" that carries over when I do an upgrade vs. a fresh install. In other words, if I install W7 and then upgrade to W10, will there be "leftover" system files from W7 still stored on my storage drive that can possibly cause any system errors or bugs? Will my computing experience or performance be negatively affected in any way if I do an upgrade vs. a fresh install?
    The shouldn't be any bloat, I upgraded my main rig and haven't seen any issues. But once you upgrade a W7/8 machine to W10 that machine is then forever licensed for W10 and so if you want a fresh install you can download an .ISO from Microsoft to burn to DVD/USB and do a fresh install.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    The shouldn't be any bloat, I upgraded my main rig and haven't seen any issues. But once you upgrade a W7/8 machine to W10 that machine is then forever licensed for W10 and so if you want a fresh install you can download an .ISO from Microsoft to burn to DVD/USB and do a fresh install.
    Really? How do you do that?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarob22 View Post
    Really? How do you do that?
    Once a Windows 7/8 machine has taken the free upgrade to Windows 10 it is flagged on Microsoft's authentication servers. Afterwards you can use a Windows 10 DVD or USB stick (both of which can be created with the Windows 10 media tool from Microsoft) to do a fresh install of Windows 10 and the new install will then authenticate with the Microsoft authentication servers.

NB: You have to skip the type in the product key part at install, then ask it to authenticate online from the desktop.

NB2: This method can be used to turn a 32bit Windows 7/8 installation into a 64bit Windows 10 installation and is fully supported by Microsoft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, another question...

What's the difference between these two items? The item description is the same, both Windows 7 Home System Builder OEM DVD except one says (For Refurbished PC Installation) and the other says (New Packaging). Is it literally just the packaging? I'm assuming the Refurb one comes with just a CD in a plain paper sleeve with a code, so why the $50 price difference?

Okay, another question...

What's the difference between these two items? The item description is the same, both Windows 7 Home System Builder OEM DVD except one says (For Refurbished PC Installation) and the other says (New Packaging). Is it literally just the packaging? I'm assuming the Refurb one comes with just a CD in a plain paper sleeve with a code, so why the $50 price difference?
    These pages have some info on refurb cds:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...-disk-oem.html

https://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/lic...id=jLu_1vGXzUU