need a new headset (PC, ps4) cheap!

Im lookin for a new gaming headset.. currently using some earbuds with a mic and Ive been having some issues lately with others being able to hear what im saying so i think its time for a new one. I dont want to spend too much maybe $100-200 but Id rather spend closer to $100. This is mostly for pc use, thought I do dabble in some ps4 gaming so it needs to work with that as well (even if I have to buy an adapter or something). Does anyone have some recommendations based on personal use??

HyperX Cloud / Cloud 2 seem good. Works for both and mic is also detachable.

I'd get a standalone headphone and separate mic, but if you also want to use it for PS4, that's probably not ideal.
    Last edited by apoe; 2015-12-15 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by apoe View Post
    HyperX Cloud / Cloud 2 seem good. Works for both and mic is also detachable.

I'd get a standalone headphone and separate mic, but if you also want to use it for PS4, that's probably not ideal.
    Thats actually what I've had my eye on the hyperx cloud 2 seems to get good reviews (http://www.pricenfees.com/best-gaming-headset.html) though your not the first I've seen say a regular pair of headphones is a better option.. what exactly is the difference in function between a headset and headphones with a mic? I will be most likely using it on the ps4, why is a pair of headphones not ideal in that sense?

Headphones are just for dedicated audio listening with no mic; headsets have a mic built into the headphone. Anyways a headphone + separate mic can get you much better audio quality for your money. But for a ps4 it's probably best you just get a headset designed for the ps4. A headphone is not ideal for a console like the ps4 because it uses a headphone jack such as the one you insert into your phone. You would need to have an adapter or some sort of amp/dac and this is just for the audio. A headset would likely have a usb dongle that you just plug and play into your console or pc and it already has the mic built in.

Hyperx and Logitech headsets seem decent. Sennheiser ones are a step above but more expensive. Cheap alternatives are the official ps4 headsets.
    Last edited by Sonatine185; 2015-12-16 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonatine185 View Post
    Headphones are just for dedicated audio listening with no mic; headsets have a mic built into the headphone. Anyways a headphone + separate mic can get you much better audio quality for your money. But for a ps4 it's probably best you just get a headset designed for the ps4. A headphone is not ideal for a console like the ps4 because it uses a headphone jack such as the one you insert into your phone. You would need to have an adapter or some sort of amp/dac and this is just for the audio. A headset would likely have a usb dongle that you just plug and play into your console or pc and it already has the mic built in.

Hyperx and Logitech headsets seem decent. Sennheiser ones are a step above but more expensive. Cheap alternatives are the official ps4 headsets.

Yea it seems like a headset is the way to go for me because I'll be using it with the ps4 as well. Ive had bad experiences with the ear piece breaking off in the past with the ps4 gold headset so I wont be going that route again. Any specific recommendations on the sennheisers, or is hyperx sufficient?

Those are sufficient.

I'm also glad you got yourself off the standalone. I will not disagree that standalone are better... if you go all the way... "balls deep" I like to say. A very high quality or top-of-the-line studio headphone and studio mic. Absolutely much better. (I went "balls deep" btw).

I will disagree with the idea that headsets are garbage. Especially in your price range (the $100 ballpark). Most headsets in that range (and their mics) are just fine. Further, most "studio" things in that ballpark are no better. You only start flirting with "garbage" in the 29.99 or more so 19.99 9.99 range.

Furthermore, even though I did go all out, I still use the headset half the time. It's faster and more convenient. Pointing out that the stuff from studio manufacturers are better is like pointing out that a lamborghini is better than your daily-driver... While neglecting to mention that most lamborghini owners also have daily-drivers.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I have heard good things about the Skullcandy Plyr/Slyr lines. (yeah yeah, dont try to burn me at the stake for saying something about Skullcandy)

Edit: Here are links for the Plyr2 and Slyr. Apparently the Slyr is out of stock on their website.
    Last edited by Idrinkwhiterussians; 2015-12-16 at 09:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

So I ended up going for the hyperx and the more I read about it the more I think I made the right decision, especially with my limited budget in mind. I appreciate all the fast responses. I'll let you know how I like it once I get to break it in for a few days.

Im not sure if they work with a ps4 but Amazon has a pair of cheaper turtle beaches on sale from time to time, I got them for $12