Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Most people are lazy or just don't think about. Some people are definitely stupid and just don't know the difference though. The absolute worst for me is lose and loose. They don't even sound the same yet people get them wrong. No, you don't want to loose some weight, you want to lose it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    I have always heard that the English language is tough too learn so maybe your assuming to much about "basic English".
    That's why I was talking about the ghetto people...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    You cant ever fault a non-native speaker for bad English, at least they can speak it.
    and I don't. Half the posters here seem to have not read the second sentence I typed.
    Last edited by Sundrah; 2015-12-18 at 02:03 AM.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundrah View Post
    You can be a revolutionary and have your entire career ruined as a result. I'm also so sick of seeing comments from your typical ghetto dweller with English as their main language in full broken English. I'm in no way a grammar Nazi. This is absolute basic English.
    Because it pisses grammer nazis/pointdexters off. Your gonna have to deal with it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Your right.

Pisses me off too.
    *to would have been even piss-offyer.

Anyway, OP, I really don't know. It's extremely simple to remember. The whole "English has too many rules!" thing is hogwash. Remember which words to use where. Easy peasy.

Just like the difference between "its" and "it's."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I hope you also criticize people for everything else they do wrong, or else you'd be a hypocrite, your life must be filled with constant suffering. Mundane things are mundane for a reason.

I dont understand you're problem with there english, your not being very nice and you should except how they want to speak.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by negawonka View Post
    Yeah you kind of are. Do you understand what they mean without any additional effort to decipher it? If so then why do you honestly care?
    I'm not a Grammar Nazi, but...

...maybe we can make people who incorrectly use homonyms wear a little armband with an Asterisk on it. That way we can easily identify them. Then we could build them their own little community far away from society, complete with firing ranges, and medical lab facilities, and ovens - and put them all on a train to a place where they can ruin the language amongst themselves.

Or... I guess I am a grammar nazi!

(This was a joke, I was just taking the idea too far, please don't attack)
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

I have always heard that the English language is tough too learn so maybe your assuming to much about "basic English". Plus, we have alot of foreign people on here and they're native language isn't English. I could care less though.
    *glares* Don't think we didn't see what you did there.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have always heard that the English language is tough too learn so maybe your assuming to much about "basic English". Plus, we have alot of foreign people on here and they're native language isn't English. I could care less though.
    I'm not a grammar nazi, but - "I could care less" does bother me:

Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundrah View Post
    You can be a revolutionary and have your entire career ruined as a result. I'm also so sick of seeing comments from your typical ghetto dweller with English as their main language in full broken English. I'm in no way a grammar Nazi. This is absolute basic English.
    I love it.

Other peoples' stupidity is my benefit.

If you was smarter, you would love it too.

10+ Year Old Account
    #1 It doesn't matter if people understand.
    #2 Force of habit.
    #3 Failed English.

Also trying to correct someone on the English language is kinda pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by McCrazy View Post
    My native language is german. There are also many words that are commonly 'mispelled'. I think, many people are just to lazy to write right. Usually it's not faster. Or they use 'denglish', because it's cooler. But if everybody understands it better, is another question.

A friend of mine always tiped really fast, but with many typing and write errors. Sometimes it was not easy to read and to understand. I told her once: "To read your writing is like listening to a drunk's slurred speach'. After that, she made an effort to write 'soberly'.
    I'm at a stage where I sometimes use the English word because I just can't think of the German one... There are a few cases where English really just hits the nail on the head as well as some German expressions that just won't translate.

About the topic, I think it's annoying. I always, without a fail, stumble over the meaning of a sentence when people mistype shit like that. Since this is a foreign language, I always have to go back to the start and re-read what I just read to make sure I didn't totally lose it. But I'm getting better at it (or worse, as the case may actually be). By now I just assume I'm reading the post of a 10 year old and give a lot of leeway to pointless things like grammar and spelling.

Luckily, the vast majority on this forum has rather good writing skills. Thanks everyone for making the effort, it really is a lot more enjoyable to read proper texts than WhatsApp speech.

Edit: As I re-read and correct my mistakes, as I usually do in 9 out of 10 cases, I realise... why don't those lazy boys do that? I make the effort, so should you! :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I'm not a grammar nazi, but - "I could care less" does bother me:

Not sure if the joke flew over your head...

Read his post again, this time turn your inner Grammar Nazi on. You'll see.
    Last edited by Slant; 2015-12-18 at 12:11 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's easier to type. I say we get rid of apostrophes altogether, put the burden on the reader. Yeah I went there.
    You went their huh?

Due to how the written word "you're" sounds a lot like "your" uttered in sentences. Chances are they don’t really think about it, or rather. Chances are that when they are writing, they are constantly thinking about what to write; while continuously writing. Meaning, that some things get out of context, so when your brain tries to process the word "you're", and you aren’t utterly focused on the context, it might confuse the brain enough to accept and write "your" instead, which is if spoken, just as good. So, your "inner" voice reading your thoughts is happy, and so are you, as you're none the wiser .

Truth be told, it's overall an utter bastardisation, which could have been avoided by forcefully preventing contractions. But yea, informal use of the language creates a certain type of acceptance towards ignorance.

It's quicker.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gum View Post
    Due to how the written word "you're" sounds a lot like "your" uttered in sentences. Chances are they don’t really think about it, or rather. Chances are that when they are writing, they are constantly thinking about what to write; while continuously writing. Meaning, that some things get out of context, so when your brain tries to process the word "you're", and you aren’t utterly focused on the context, it might confuse the brain enough to accept and write "your" instead, which is if spoken, just as good. So, your "inner" voice reading your thoughts is happy, and so are you, as you're none the wiser .

Truth be told, it's overall an utter bastardisation, which could have been avoided by forcefully preventing contractions. But yea, informal use of the language creates a certain type of acceptance towards ignorance.
    If you have to think about what you're trying to say while typing so hard that it completely shatters the little spelling they managed to hammer into your head during elementary school, you may as well give up on trying to express what you're traying to say... it'll be complete lunacy either way.

Yes, I'm being mean. Sorry about that. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

I dont really get it. I usually skip using the apostrophe because the button for it is placed in a rather awkward position. My own language doesnt really use apostrophes.

I myself have absolutely no issues reading texts that are not written perfectly. I notice most of the errors, Im even aware that even this reply have alot of errors. I cant even understand how some of you in this discussion claim you are unable to read texts that are not written as if it was from the Queen herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Faible View Post
    I dont really get it. I usually skip using the apostrophe because the button for it is placed in a rather awkward position. My own language doesnt really use apostrophes.

I myself have absolutely no issues reading texts that are not written perfectly. I notice most of the errors, Im even aware that even this reply have alot of errors. I cant even understand how some of you in this discussion claim you are unable to read texts that are not written as if it was from the Queen herself.
    Understand, yes. Finding it bothersome, also yes. There's a difference.

And I tend to not make a fuss over those things unless they are obnoxiously stupid or it's obviously a non-native speaker having trouble with the language. But just this week there is a thread about execution, and people keep referring to it as "Capitol Punishment".

That really drives me up the wall. :P

wel i spose its beter then ur

10+ Year Old Account
    Either people are lazy or stupid? Maybe both?

Sick of the people who will wreck a word just to save from typing a letter because they're some tool who thinks it's *cool*