CPU's for my nephews first computer.

So I wanted to build a computer for my nephew when he comes to stay for the weekend. As of right now he plays the Blizzard titles and I'm sure he will eventually make his way into my steam library. I know for a GPU my buddy gave me a good deal on his GTX 960 4gb he picked up in a pinch while his card was being replaced.

FX-6300 ($90), FX-8320E ($100), FX-8320 ($109 + 50 off MoBo) FX-8350 ($140). Those are the lowest for the AMD, all store pick ups near where I live.
    An for Intel they all seem to be in the $160-$220 range Intel Core i5-4590 ($160).i 5-4670k ($180)

I been having an iffy time looking around, some comparisons have the AMDs getting crushed, others have it slightly below the Intels and intel K series. Most seem to have these games compared on 1080 Ultra settings and 1440p 2 settings I doubt my nephew would actually play on anything over high. So at this point Im not sure which route to take for him.

Edit: just saw the 4670k show up with a cheaper price tag.

yeah go with an i5 if your not on a super tight budget. the fx-6300 is a six core processor that works out about as powerful as my a8 6600k which is a quad, might see some improvement as dx12 progresses, more cpu balancing and the ability to multi-gpu means apus should get a bit of a boost.

can't really go wrong with an intel cpu they just costs like twice as much but you do get considerably better single core performance, so in games like wow that will be noticeable.. if you go with one of the lower end fx's or an apu like me, you might find that the 960 could bottle neck but it probably wouldn't be huge. then again i don't do nvidia so i'm not entirely sure about that.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2015-12-19 at 11:06 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your budget.

if the moneys there go Intel, if its not, theres nothing wrong with AMD.

The 6350 gets decent scores in most games people actually play. Dont rely on synthetic benchmarks.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-374-_-Product

Definitely the way to go here. Since he will be playing Blizzard games which utilize a single core, Pentium would be the way to go.

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($125.85 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $224.83
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 15:01 EST-0500

This is a system that I can recommend on the budget, its hyper threaded giving it 4 logical threads (quad core) and its a pretty decent set up for the price and sadly AMD cpus for single threaded applications can not compete with it.

Actually no idea if you have other parts or know what other parts to get but for the CPU, this is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    yeah go with an i5 if your not on a super tight budget. the fx-6300 is a six core processor that works out about as powerful as my a8 6600k which is a quad, might see some improvement as dx12 progresses, more cpu balancing and the ability to multi-gpu means apus should get a bit of a boost.

can't really go wrong with an intel cpu they just costs like twice as much but you do get considerably better single core performance, so in games like wow that will be noticeable.. if you go with one of the lower end fx's or an apu like me, you might find that the 960 could bottle neck but it probably wouldn't be huge. then again i don't do nvidia so i'm not entirely sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Depends on your budget.

if the moneys there go Intel, if its not, theres nothing wrong with AMD.

The 6350 gets decent scores in most games people actually play. Dont rely on synthetic benchmarks.
    Well Id like to label it a budget build only because I don't know how often he's going to use it, then again it just as plausible that he might use it a lot or even ask to take it home. Is going from the FX8320/FX6350 to the 4670k going to be worth the extra $150-160 price range or will I be kickin myself down the line? I've never really looked into building an actual budget build as I often consider my build a budget build compared to some lol.

Also if it helps, right now he uses my old back up computer thats running a tired old Q6600 @2.4 (retired OC) lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-374-_-Product

Definitely the way to go here. Since he will be playing Blizzard games which utilize a single core, Pentium would be the way to go.
    Well he does play from my steam games as well some of which are modded, so thats why I have ruled out the 3258.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($125.85 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $224.83
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 15:01 EST-0500

This is a system that I can recommend on the budget, its hyper threaded giving it 4 logical threads (quad core) and its a pretty decent set up for the price and sadly AMD cpus for single threaded applications can not compete with it.

Actually no idea if you have other parts or know what other parts to get but for the CPU, this is a good start.
    I don't have anything spare laying around and I want to keep the old system old as well as having a back up in case something happens to my current one. Outside of that all I really have is a 960 I got for cheap from a buddy. As for the part list I wasn't sure how the i3 handled and if it was just better to go up to the i5.

this is without an OS or peripherals.

if you need those, add as you see fit.

"Budget"

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.78 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($26.00 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $491.62
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 15:34 EST-0500
    Didn't see you already had a GTX 960.

So.. you can remove that from the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    this is without an OS or peripherals.

if you need those, add as you see fit.

"Budget"

Didn't see you already had a GTX 960.

So.. you can remove that from the list.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3wdRrH

This is the part list I had started last night, the only thing I debated on was should I keep the SSD or not. Also he wants his case to look like mine so I went with that version. Other then that I was debating on which CPU I was gonna drop into the system.