Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Daybreak came in and dropped the majority of the core group. Pretty sure it is Vaporware at this point. Gotta love when a hedge fund buys video game companies.

15+ Year Old Account
    The game already looks old, so I'm not having high hopes for it. At least Landmark does. And the lack of news is not encouraging either.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Bethesda did that the right way with FO4.
    It made no difference. The internet was still filled with people epic disappointed with FO4 due to hype.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It made no difference. The internet was still filled with people epic disappointed with FO4 due to hype.
    Pretty sure most of the disappointment was due to it not being a very good Fallout game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    Pretty sure most of the disappointment was due to it not being a very good Fallout game.
    It get's sold as an Open world Action RPG, it failed at being a decent RPG which meant it failed being a good Fallout game. Actually, the steam page only reads RPG as genre, which is even worse :P.

In regards to EQN.. I want to believe. I want to believe that someone took the countless great ideas out there (some can be seen in asia MMOs with a lot of negatives as well sadly) and made a good game with story and PvE gameplay out of them. But I fear it will take another generation for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Great people... I don't doubt. Quite talented? So talented they haven't made a memorable games since the original EQ? How many shitty f2p games have they churned out since they basically made WoW become the king MMO by producing an epic bomb in EQ2.

Studios like Blizzard, Rockstar and others take a long ass time to make games. Yet they always end up memorable. SOE/Daybreak has went way over budget/time making games that where absolute shit. Sorry if I don't see the "talent" you speak of.
    Some of the early rockstars behind EQ1 ended up at Blizz working on WoW. (I did some research after one of the above comments.) It's possible that the people who made EQ1 so magical are the ones who made WoW such a juggernaut.

It's a shame really, because the ideas they were talking about got me really excited and it looks like no one else out there right now is trying anything drastically different other than Crowfall, which is fairly low budget, and in general the big players have decided the MMO genre isn't worth dumping money into.

EQN is dead and gone, shame because they were on to something decent for a bit. Maybe it was all just smoke and mirrors and the game was a lot further behind than it was made to look, and all they really had was minecraft clone Landmark.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

The only reason they didn't cancel it yet is very simple - it would hurt their sales and whatnot.

The best way is - and you would do exactly the same on their place - to remain silent and try to milk on EQ1/2 & Landmark.

I can't even blame them - responsibility requires choice, which doesn't exist in this one.
    CU... ...or CF ?

Quote Originally Posted by OGXanos View Post
    Vaporware. They lost their lead and most of the team leads in the sale. Some of the better leads ended up at Blizz, the rest are scattered.
    This is what happened to Ultima Online X ( UOX ). they were well into development and then the company was sold and there was basically a forced move.. so most of the developers, including the lead, just quit rather than moving to a different state.

I am hopeful that soon there is more player backlash against games that announce really early... kinda a ´show me don´t tell me moment´ because honestly, it is just getting crazy with some of these games.

yes, we know it takes a long time to develop a game, but more often than not announcing stuff 4 years in advance, and then having 6 month droughts without any information is more of a negative than a positive. Is there really ANY need to announce a game more than a year in advance? What purpose does it serve? A year is plenty of time to get the word out. More than a year and the only thing you are going to accomplish is piss of players with all the stuff that is cut or changed from when you first announced it.

It is not vaporware, but it fell apart and won´t be released. They will have to hire new devs to finish what is basically a spin off of another recent launch that didn´t really take off.

Pretty hard to imagine putting all that work into a game and then just walking away from it. Would hurt my soul.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Thought this was a good reddit post that pretty much sums up the frustration:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comm...row_us_a_bone/

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    People often forget it takes "time" to develop a game.
    Early access may in some such cases well be the undoing of the game,. such as starbound - in development and available for early access well over a year now.
    Progress is slow,. but most already quit playing it because well,. it's too short as it is.
    If you had been following the production of this game at all you'd realize how it appears you don't know what is going on with the development.. EQN is vaporware. It's not going to be anything like they said it was if it ever comes out in any form. It'll be some watered down halfbreed of what they hyped. People left, the game changed hands, Daybreak dropped the ball. The last main update on the EQN site was 124 days ago and it was just a thank you video. Most of the updates they ever released about the game were minor garbage about lore or aesthetics. It's over for EQN, at least as it was hyped.

I really have my doubts nowadays that this game is even coming out.
    We will probably have canceled news , not sure if this year..

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    The game already looks old, so I'm not having high hopes for it. At least Landmark does. And the lack of news is not encouraging either.
    What difference does it make how the game looks? Graphics may sell games but gameplay and features is what keep you playing. Unfortunately we don't know a whole lot but to dismiss a game based on looks alone would be stupid. Look at WoW for example, it never had amazing graphics but the gameplay has always been there and at one point it had features that were very worthwhile.

I don't think the graphics look "old". I think they purposely went with that aesthetic because it ages well actually.

Deleted
    The problem about landmark is that most people just arent that creative.

If you did not manage more than some very scary tower you are part of the majority.

I think Everquest Next is too risky to be published in a market as saturated as the MMORPG market.

Lets wait 4-5 years, in the hope the big behemoth loses most of its customers.

Edit: i added a post in my blog about "the big hope" Everquest Next:

Everquest Next was one of those big hopes in the MMORPG community. Unfortunately, Sony sold SOE (abbr. for Sony Online Entertainment) and fired most of the people who worked for that company.

So another hope for a more diversified MMORPG market will not happen anytime soon. Landmark, the great Sandbox for Everquest Next, did probably also just not work out, and i believe its just based on the fact most people arent creative architects, but just gamers who want to play computer games in their spare time.

Everquest Next did also not really try to be revolutionary, but was the continued effort of Daybreak to keep the brand Everquest alive, in a genre which is dominated by Blizzard nowadays, and which allows no innovation anymore, as any game thats heavily different than blizzards MMORPG just wont be successfull.

The market also is not big enough yet for niche MMORPGs, as it seems, as like Wildstar showed.. a failed MMORPG catered to hardcore-gamers.

A successfull MMORPG nowadays would be a RPG with MMO elements, which would get rid of the idea to enforce organized group play, which always was and will be the smaller part of the playerbase that plays computer games against an environment and not against other players.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2016-02-24 at 10:06 PM.